Some Western Maine Beauty and one southern rooster, NDR

Troy Fields

I did some camping the last weekend of September up in Rangeley Lakes region of western Maine. Foliage was just about peak and the weather was absolutely gorgeous. I spent the first day riding around the logging roads checking out some old haunts of mine. Grouse season opened the following Wednesday, so these birds were all still there when I left.

My campsite on Cupsuptic Lake.

Hiking up Bald Mountain. Did manage to see a small bull moose but he did not stick around for a photo shoot. Only moose I saw all weekend.

Pearl couldn't stand being left behind, so she decided to climb the lookout tower too!

She always finds a stick to play with.

Nice photos and congrats to you and Pearl. Those Ruffed Grouse sure do look tempting.

Tim

What magnificent looking country side you are blessed with. Everything looked so peaceful and serene. I sure enjoyed those pictures of the grouse and Pearl. She sure looks like you have a wonderful partner there.
Good luck on your opener.

Very nice Troy, great area. I used to work for Auburn PD and owned a cabin in Eustis. Trails End used to have the best prime rib.
I goose hunted on FlaggStaff Lake. Had a bull moose swim right through the decoys, never touched a line. In 2006 I stayed at the Rangeley
Inn, was a great time. On Highway 16 between Rangeley and Eustis right around sunset there's moose all over.
Good to see the grouse and they taste great.

Wow, that is some pretty scenery! Love the last pic with the pheasant. Beautiful dog.

Beautiful pics. I hunted up in the Rangely area a couple years back. Can't wait to go again as I plan on making it back there next October with more dog power this time!

Troy, you sure saw a lot more grouse than I did on a recent trip. We saw none in 2 days of fishing, but I did get two partially disabled vets into their first ever wild trout and salmon.

That stream (South Bog? Cupsuptic?) looks awful low for spawning time.

Yes Jeff, water levels were very low, that's Wiggle Brook, up around Kennebago.
Thanks for all the comments everyone.

Was the brook trout spawn on? We saw the beginnings of some redds last week up above the Logans between Big and Little Kennebago. (Not fishing up there, just poking around.) We didn't see any fish on them, but we were there mid day. The crowd at Upper Dam was tolerable and there were fish to be had.

Back