Sonar/GPS

Phil,
Either of those will work for you. Only thing which would sway me one way or the other would be map chip compatibility. If you wish to add a more detailed map using a map chip. Lowrance units only work with certain maps and Garmin units only work with certain maps (depends on source of maps not water bodies)
I would not be afraid to check E-Bay and Craigs list for a used Gen1 HDS if you want the bigger screen. There are a lot of fishermen which are upgrading these units to more current units, nothing wrong with them at all. One is always taking a risk so it might not be worth it to you. Just the same you could compare selling prices for a used 7 inch screen to the new 5 inch screen. There won't be any real noticeable differences in features, at least for how you are going to use this unit. Biggest drawback to a Gen1 HDS would be also finding a compatible maps chip if you are going to add a map chip. Of course those can be found on the used market as well.
Like I said new is fine, and either of those are good units, but you might be able to procure a larger screen for less money going used.

Phil,

AS for myself, between those choices, I'd spend the extra for the bigger screen. Only because you will want both the depth and the navigation chart visible at the same time.

As an after thought, You do have the option of widow size within the screen when you split the view. Default is 50% for chart and 50% for sonar. You could adjust that so you had say 80% for the chart and only 20% for the sonar. At the same time increasing font size for the digital display of depth which would most likely cover over most of the sonar fish display. I am guessing losing screen display of fish echos would not be of concern if you are only want to know depth.

Another completely different option is a stand alone digital sonar depth display, (usually dash mounted) paired up with a stand alone GPS unit. That way you are not trying to display both functions on one screen.

PS. Send me your credit card, I'll upgrade my unit and you can have my old HDS7 for FREE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, such a deal!!

Phil-I did some checking on eBay and found some HDS- 7 units in the $300 to $400 range. You might even be able to get the old chip with the unit. If the seller is upgrading to a new unit they will probably be buying a new chip too. It might not hurt to check for an older chip because I doubt that the new chips will work in a gen-1 unit without an upgrade.However,you should be able to download upgrades for a gen- 1 right of the Lowrance site on the web.

When I get back to Minn I will check out the unit on the bow of my fishing boat. It is not a HDS unit, but it is made by Lowrance. It has a 5" screen and has GPS and Sonar. I don't use it much anymore and could maybe give you a good deal on it if you are still looking by then.

Our local Cabelas in Scarborough , Maine had a DoorBuster sale today. They had Lowrance hds 7 Gen 2 for $499.99.
I was lucky enough to get one. My only concern is the transducer is an 83/200 mhz i would've preferred a 50/200 mhz. I'm not going to use it in much more than 10 or 12 fathom so it should be Ok.

Sorry Phil gave them a call today and they're all sold out. They don't give rain checks on Door Buster Items. Wish I could've helped.

Back