South Bay gets a Dodger - and a few other things

Steve Sanford

All~

A good friend recently noticed: "You've been noticeably quiet lately. Either you are killing ducks or up against it with your orders." Well, the truth is more the latter - although we gave a nice farewell - in the snow - to a bunch of Wood Ducks yesterday.

This South Bay Duckboat was the star of a long post last year: http://www.duckboats.net/...%20bay%20spa;#272548

A%20-2015_zpsk2tgmas7.jpg

B_zpsckvhfv3h.jpg

The vessel spent some time here at Pencil Brook Boatworks and has been getting my attention off-and-on since August. The big job was a Spray Dodger - the traditional "baby carriage hood" style with 2 bows - more complicated than the several single-bow Dodgers I have made over the years. This Dodger will both keep the helmsman drier when under way and also provide shelter when gunning in driving rain.

As usual, I got my materials and supplies from Sailrite - along with a new sewing machine earlier in the summer. I also watched their how-to video on building a Dodger (for a cruising sailboat) to learn how the pros do it. The best takeaway message for me was their use of a special patterning material (DuraSkrim) held in place by either double-sided tape or SeamStick (used instead of pins to hold fabric in place before sewing).

The Dodger was planned since last year - so I had taken the necessary measurements.

Dgr%2001_zpso2fxwy83.jpg

Dgr%2002_zpsuitdun2l.jpg

The bows needed to fit down inside the coaming when stowed so the hard cockpit cover would still fit.

Dgr%2003_zpsoir2zwnj.jpg

I made a bending jig from 3/4-inch ply. I used some thin PVC lumber and a bunch of finishing nails to draw a fair curve.

Dgr%2004_zpsmthgd6tc.jpg

Instead of re-purposing ready materials, I got the bow stock (3/4-inch aluminum) and hardware from Sailrite. I used the end fittings to contain the sand I poured into the tubing so it would not kink when bent.

Dgr%2005_zps0bzjiqie.jpg

This cleat keeps the tubing from jumping out of the jig.

Dgr%2006_zps4tjbktwv.jpg

With the jig clamped to the bench, I used decoy line to pull in the ends until I could grab the tubing itself.

Dgr%2007_zpsqp2bf9dh.jpg

Dgr%2008_zpstfm4wnvj.jpg

These fittings attached the main bow to the coamings and the secondary bow to the main bow.

Dgr%2009_zpshemhb1qx.jpg

This chock keeps the folded bows level. That's strapping tape on the screw - to help in making the pattern.

Dgr%2010_zpsyw281gna.jpg

Here is how the bows will be rigged.

Dgr%2011_zpsroovmvpo.jpg

The strapping tape is pulled taut to the stern deck.

Dgr%2012_zpsnpwd3kbt.jpg

I first attached the DuraSkrim to the coamings and framework with double-sided tape. However, I soon found that it is too aggressive and hard to clean off when no longer needed. I switched to SeamStick - a milder form of DS tape.

Dgr%2013_zpsni2um3ec.jpg

I marked the important margins on the DuraSkrim.

Dgr%2014_zpso3cdvy63.jpg

And I also made sure to keep notes on orientation, et cetera.

Dgr%2015_zpsfe2tn1r9.jpg

Here is the finished Dodger:

Dgr%2016_zpsowthmii0.jpg

Dgr%2017a_zps4q6nqfsc.jpg

Because I would also be adding a Stool Rack on the foredeck - and thereby hiding the temporary nav light there - I sewed a pair of Velcro straps on the forward part of the Dodger to hold the light.

Dgr%2018_zpsyq4tr5mh.jpg

I also added some webbing to the Dodger so thatch could be stuffed in as needed when gunning with the Dodger up.

Dgr%2017b_zpstbzvqkpb.jpg

I first installed plastic swivel clips on the straps that hold the Dodger up. However, the little "keepers" made it almost impossible to remove the clip from the eye strap.

Dgr%2019_zpsrtvcatxo.jpg

So, I "upgraded to brass swivels - which allow for easier unhooking.

Dgr%2020_zpsv3qfav0g.jpg

Once I made to Dodger, it occurred to me that an "awning" to cover the rest of the cockpit might solve another problem. The owner keeps this South Bay at a dock during the gunning season. Whereas installing and removing the hard cockpit cover (hatch) is fairly easy when the boat is on a trailer, it is much more challenging dockside. I am hoping this will be easier to deploy when leaving the boat - and easier to enter when arriving in the early morning.

Dgr%2021_zpseadvvn1s.jpg

The zipper is opened from the port side - and started from the starboard side. ( I think I remember the owner to be right-handed.....). I added this pull (light tarred decoy line) to make grabbing the zipper easier in winter conditions.

Dgr%2022_zpslgfdpdp1.jpg

A half zip and a few snaps and a gunner is welcomed inside in the early morning.
Dgr%2023_zpspxidngjr.jpg

To completely cover the nose, a "cat's cradle" of eye straps and shock cord was installed.

Nose%2002_zpsyrrjxydr.jpg

Here it is ready for some Salt Hay.

Nose%2003_zpsdmj1qnml.jpg

I cut the shock cord generously - and secured it with a reef knot (square knot to you non-sailors.....)

Nose%2004_zpsolkhug25.jpg

Here is the pair of "flap boards" that serve as a Stool Rack on the foredeck. They will be thatched up just like the rest of the boat.

FSR%2001_zpskiaxhmo6.jpg

Here they are - in the "up" position to carry stool (in bags).

FSR%2002_zpszxpfdpgk.jpg

Tee-hinges hold the boards to raised blocks that are bolted through the deck (and backed up with fender washers below).

FSR%2003_zpsaht22bvf.jpg

These round-head machine screws are all that projects into the decoy storage space.

FSR%2004_zpslglqhmz9.jpg

Here they are down - as for gunning or trailering.

FSR%2005_zpsykeevdxe.jpg

I toned down the white registration letters/numbers with some Behr Ashwood - the color I use for "Brant Sides".

Numbers_zpsxhswe8d4.jpg

Inside the cockpit, I repainted the gas tank. I scrubbed the floorboards (and the interior of the hull) but did not re-paint them - mostly because use anytime soon would wear any new paint quickly.

Interior%2001_zpshjddt2au.jpg

I did re-paint the Storage Tray that fits under the stern deck. I used a gloss paint for the interior bottom so it would wear better than duckboat paint.

Interior%2002_zpsush78zpf.jpg

All the gear in the Tray received Full Valet Service. Everything was cleaned and bagged or lashed or coiled to a fare-thee-well - to stay organized - at least until the First Hunt.

Interior03_zpstd00vfhw.jpg

The Flap Boards made last year were tall - about 14 inches. They provided a good hide and could hold decoys when setting or picking up the rig. They were tough for the retriever to negotiate, however. So 2 portside boards were made: one solid (my mistake) and one open-frame (so the retriever can see through it).

PFB%2001_zps0yup8in8.jpg

Because the board are removable - via loose hinge pins - matching the hinges was a challenge. I got some heavy, solid brass hinges that needed some fine tuning to match the existing hinges on the boat. My stationary disc sander did the job. (NOTE: How did I get to be 63 and not know that Brass and Aluminum should NOT be worked on a bench grinder ? - the grinding wheel can overheat and fly apart!)

Flapboards%2006_zpss27gyfjx.jpg

Four more brass hinge pins and lanyards were made up for the 2 new Flap Boards.

Flapboards%2007_zpsxuuuetxl.jpg

Ends of all lines were melted with my soldering iron.

Flapboards%2008_zpstmocutgj.jpg

Each hinge gets it pin lashed nearby.

Flapboards%2009_zpses8vob2y.jpg

The open-frame Board has rows of heavy decoy line rove through a system of holes. Bundles of Salt Hay get lashed to these lines with twine.

Flapboards%2010_zpsqq9etadb.jpg

I also installed 2 more Thatch Rails on the stern deck.

Thatch%20Rails%2001_zps7sayxobu.jpg

Thatch%20Rails%2002_zps4l6jqisn.jpg

When I worked on the Motor Board in 2015, I bored 2 shallow "sockets" to hold the mounting pads on the outboard. However - being an OMC guy - I did not realize that Mercs need a slightly larger socket. So, I enlarged the 1-3/8" sockets to 1-1/2" using a clamped-on jig to guide the Forstner bit.

Motor%20Board%2001_zpsdamigeyt.jpg

Motor%20Board%2002_zpsrg2g9yz3.jpg

The enlarged sockets got 2 coats of epoxy and 2 coats of paint.

Motor%20Board%2003_zpsxgu8fzxs.jpg

Everything started to come together around the Super Moon....

Z%2002_zpshvfxtgzb.jpg

She sat for her portraits in some glorious 60-degree sunshine.

Z%2001_zpsxaikknfl.jpg

But now, White-Wing has taken her place inside - and gotten a wider cockpit and new coamings next to the stove.

Z%2004_zpsddtclevk.jpg

Sunday morning brought plenty of snow.

A%20Handle_zpsdmgkoovv.jpg

So South Bay now sits "out in the cold" - dreaming of her forthcoming journey southward......

Z%2003_zpsfl5ucyz4.jpg

All the best,

SJS

Last edited:
Great job, as always, Steve. This is definitely not helping me avoid buying the South Bay that went up for sale locally... I don't need another duck boat...I don't need another duck boat.

Excellent work Steve. One question - How did you attach the canvas dodger material to the frame? Velcro?

As usual when following along with your projects, I learned some new tricks, thanks.

Good morning, Pete~

You are correct. In my earlier Dodgers I always sewed a long pocket in the after edge and fished the bow through it. However - again learning from the Sailrite DVD - I sewed pockets on each of the bows that open and close with Velcro. So, you can mount the framework, then attach the canvas to it.

On the main bow, I wound up making 3 pockets - one across the top and 2 on each side, just below where the webbing wraps around the bow.

All the best,

SJS

Steve, Looks amazing as always. You need your own museum. I really like the flap board idea. That is by far the ultimate South Bay Boat model out there.

Excellent work as always Steve! Would love to see some follow up shots once the owner has it all thatched up.

Steve,
Beautiful work as always...
Have you hunted from a South Bay? I'm curious if they are planning hull out and how well they handle big water? They look kind of flat bottomed?

Zane

Zane~

I have not owned nor used one. However, there are several members on this site who gun them - so I will let them brag about their vessels.

All the best,

SJS

Very nice Steve, been awhile since I have see stool rack flaps on a southbay. My 1995 had them as well as a dodger, but was too deep and narrow of an opening to gun out of.

Zane- The southbay is a rough water boat that sheets the water off just by the design of its crowned decks, I've crossed our mile and a half wide bay in up to 40kt winds without taking on water. As long as you go the right speed and keep the bow up you just scoot along,mist a very safe little craft.

Your craftsmanship, and your thought processes, are a work of art. Another reason why I love this forum.....

Outstanding job !

Steve-
It came together nicely. I'm excited to pick her up and see all of your meticuous work in person. We'll speak over the weekend. Thanks for all of your dilligent efforts on my behalf.
Regards,
Bill Abbate

Bill~

Glad you like it. Now can sit on a river in the pre-dawn snow tomorrow and focus on matters at hand.

Happy Thanksgiving!

SJS

Amazing work. I have yet to refurbish a boat, but I hope I can muster the meticulous approach here (and many others like it on this site).

I was in particular awe over one result -- painting what appears to be a plastic gas can! I've tried twice before with spray bombs. Both times the paint seemed to peel off in less time than to put it on. Where did I go wrong?

Matt~

I'm not sure I've solved the problem. Last year, I sanded it will 100-grit, wiped it down with acetone, then sprayed it - with NOT the kind that says it sticks to plastic. The tank was not new and so the plastic had weathered a bit. This year, I gave it a quick sanding, another acetone wipe, then brushed on the duckboat paint. Time will tell...

Happy Thanksgiving!

SJS

Steve, Nice Job on all the work You did on the Great South Bay Boat.
Have a good hunt tomorrow , & a Nice Thanksgiving with family

Thanks, Steve. Well, your effort and pic have motivated me to try again...I'll be sure to report my results. Cheers!

Hi Steve. I have a question that I am sure you have covered before. When you give a piece of wood 2 coats of epoxy, what type and how? Any help would be appreciated. I have to make a registration placard and I only want to do it one if possible. Thanks

Back