South Bay Spa Treatment - 2018 #1

All~

The Cox trailer "sprucing up" continued.....

One minor annoyance to correct was the too long threaded sections of the mounting bracket for the spare tire. Because it's a one-size-fits-all, the threads are much longer than most sockets could handle. So, I have more than once trimmed such U-bolts down to a more manageable size.

View attachment sm Spare 01.JPG

After cutting about 2 inches off each side, I beveled the edges with a grinder, then sprayed with the Cold Galvanize.

View attachment sm Spare 01A.JPG

I thought I would "top off" the air in the spare, but....when I lifted the spare off the tongue, it weighed way more than it should. 'twas full of water!

So, I removed the cap and valve stem and pushed out as much as I could. It emptied itself with a stream that any Old Duckhunter would be proud of....

View attachment sm Spare 02 tire water.JPG

After taking it up to a local tire place for complete emptying, drying and re-sealing, it is now back on the tongue. I tried to mount it vertically so future water would not lay around the rim, but the aforementioned one-size-fits-all mount (U-bolt, really) would not handle the 2x3 tongue dimensions. So, it again lays face up to the heavens.

And, just how it got full of water it the first place will likely remain an Eternal Mystery.

View attachment sm Spare 03.JPG

The snap hook and "cable" - polypropylene line - both showed their age. So, I spliced up a length of 3/8 nylon and slipped the eye over a nice bronze snap hook.

View attachment sm Winch 01.JPG

The drum on the winch had lots of scaly rust -

View attachment sm Winch 02.JPG

- so it got cleaned up and sprayed, too.

View attachment sm Winch 03.JPG

Ready to haul!

View attachment sm Winch 04.JPG

Not done yet - stay tuned!

SJS

All~

Just a couple more tasks on the trailer.

The safety chains - like most of their age - were thoroughly rusted. Sound but rusted.

View attachment sm Chains and Harness 01.JPG

They were easy to remove from the X-shaped keeper on the bottom of the tongue. So, they got a bath in phosphoric acid.

View attachment sm Chains and Harness 02.JPG

Then, the Rustoleum Cold Galvanize once again.

The wiring looks fine - but I like to bundle all the wires together from a "safety-in-numbers" perspective. Held together with cable ties, each one is less likely to break.

View attachment sm Chains and Harness 03.JPG

Oh, and I suppose I should at least test the lights before it heads back on the highway.

More boat stuff to come....

All the best,

SJS

Steve,

How good is the Cold Galvanize stuff you are using? Pretty strong stuff?

Dani~

The Cold Galvanize is a good base coat - assuming the steel is nice and clean. Had I more time and drier weather, I would topcoat with Pettit Trailercoat (#6981) - GREAT stuff for galvanized trailers. I painted my own duckboat trailer with it about 20 years ago - still looks fine.

All the best,

SJS

Gotcha. Thanks Steve. I've got a gate that is getting some rust in a few areas that I'd like to get it stopped or slowed way down if possible. I'll look for those things.

Dani

All~

Back to the vessel itself....

Replacing Thatch Rails was not on The List, but....

The central bow rail had to be removed for the new spray shield. So, I rounded the ends, then scraped and sanded and sealed with Spar Varnish.

View attachment sm TR 21 - rounded ends and spar varnish.JPG

The "stock" thatch rails were ripped from good White Oak. However, there are several features that cause me concern/OCD-driven angst.

1) There are saw marks showing on the topside of each rail.
2) The edges of each rail are square - hard to keep paint on.
3) The bottom sides look as though they were neither sealed nor primed.
4) The ends are square - and could catch errant lines et cetera.

View attachment sm TR 22 - hard edges.JPG

So, without removing the long port and starboard rails, I used a plane to chamfer the top edges. Then I scraped and sanded as best I could.

View attachment sm TR 23 - chamfer.JPG

The central rail on the stern deck had about an eighth-inch of "whip" in it. Surely these troublesome aerodynamics would cause the vessel to veer off course - to starboard? - at (very) high speeds....

View attachment sm TR 25 whip.JPG

So, I replaced it with a new one: Mahogany with rounded edges and ends and sealed and primed to a fare-thee well.

The two rails either side of the motor cutout were sound - but needed some re-shaping.

View attachment sm TR 24 square ends.JPG

Each end was softened - on the bench.

View attachment sm TR 26 marked up.JPG

I was surprised to find these s/s hex nuts serving as spacers.

View attachment sm TR 27 hex nut.JPG

South Bays typically use nylon washers as spacers.

View attachment sm TR 28 nylon washer.JPG

Here is the finished bow rail.

View attachment sm TR 29 bow rail.JPG

Note how the aft end of the rail follows the curve of the stern. Harmony has been restored!

View attachment sm TR 30 stern rail.JPG

Next, on to the Flap Boards.

SJS

I follow all your postings. Just had to say , you are an incredible craftsman . Thank you for sharing, it's a highlight of my day to see your work!

Steve your level of detail and attention to the small things is the best part of these threads. Decades of experience wrapped up into the specific modifications needed.

I too had a cox trailer for many years that went with one of my previous sneakboxes. I wish they still made tilt trailers like that...

Cox, was the primier trailer here on Long Island. Had one for the whaler and one for the duck boat. Keep up the great posts on the Southbays. Giving me a lot of ideas...

Steve,i didn't realize there was so much wrong with all my "stuff" until i began reading your posts. If i only had more time [w00t] .

All~

Thanks for the kind words!

Here is the last Episode of actual work on the South Bay: Flap Boards. (The Final Episode is "just" portraits of the completed vessel.)

These new flap boards are taller than the originals - and with 2 thatch rails apiece. The owner provided the nice half-inch marine ply. The finished boards were sealed with 2 coats of epoxy and then painted with 2 coats of Pettit Dull Dead Grass. Here they are on the bench.

View attachment sm FB 30.JPG

These rests allow for the flaps to lay level when down - to provide a decoy platform when setting or hauling the rig. Fastened with the usual 3M 5200, s/s carriage bolt and fender washers.

View attachment sm FB 28A Flapper Rest installed.JPG

The cleat on each one is for the line to the "bog spike" that holds the vessel against the marsh whilst gunning.

View attachment sm 29 FB Rest painted.JPG

The boards are fastened to the hinges with brass machine screws.

View attachment sm FB 31 installed.JPG

Here are the flaps up - in gunning mode.

View attachment sm FB 31B flaps up.JPG

The starboard flap board is a bit shorter - to allow for a Canine Lookout.

View attachment sm FB 33 Dogpatch.JPG

Proof that the rests function as designed.

View attachment sm FB 32 port flap down with Pintail.JPG

The interior of each board got its final coat of paint after installation.

View attachment sm FB 37 Flappers second coat inside.JPG

All the best,

SJS

Bill~

Here are some portraits to inspire you!

South Bay Gallery # 1

Here's her last day in the shop with the lights on.

View attachment sm 12 Portrait 01 inside FULL.JPG

And with natural lighting.

View attachment sm 13 Portrait 06 - inside FULL NATURAL LIGHT.JPG

I have no time for actual sea trials before Saturday. Nevertheless...she floats!

View attachment sm Port 22 - she floats.JPG

Here's how Old Mister Black Duck sees the South Bay's traditional pumpkinseed shape.

View attachment sm Port 23 - pumpkinseed.JPG

Here's the whole rig - ready to hit the road.

View attachment sm Port 24 - full rig.JPG

Here she is ready-to-hunt - just add a couple bushels of Salt Hay....

View attachment sm Port 25 - full closeup.JPG

Profile.....

View attachment sm Port 26 - full profile.JPG

From the stern quarter, flaps up....

View attachment sm Port 27 - stern quarter flaps up.JPG

Flap (just one) down....

View attachment sm Port 28 - stern quarter flap down.JPG

Just a few more in Gallery #2.....

SJS

You are a insanely talented OCD master craftsman Sir !

Thanks again Steve
See you soon

Good morning, Tom~

Hope you liked the "portraits" of the completed vessel.

After making the mistake/doing the responsible thing of testing the trailer lights....I spent a very frustrating day or so getting them to work. Even with new lights and wiring, I could get everything live BUT the driver side tail light.

Finally stumbled upon a mysterious ground problem and got everything street legal now.

View attachment sm Tail Lights 02.JPG

Happiness is:

View attachment sm Tail Lights 01.JPG

All the best,

SJS

They are nice duckboats! You do them the service that they deserve to prolong utility1

Do you have issues with the registration numbers located so low to the water with NY COs? I have had a couple of "discussions" over the years regarding what constitutes "readily visible". We can't use outlined "hollow" numbers and letters either, which, to me, makes no sense, particularly when used in this application.

Last edited:
Good morning, RL~

Never had the discussion with law enforcement. "Readily visible" is certainly a challenge on boats whose "sides" are also their bottoms....and whose decks are festooned with Salt Hay.

I never thought of the outline issue. Obviously, my intent is to improve visibility.

If push ever came to shove, I would demand a jury trial.....

All the best,

SJS

Back