South Shore of LI freezing up fast

John L

Went out for a ride today and the GSB is frozen half way across on the west side of RM Bridge. If your heading out this weekend be careful, it's getting thick
bayice3.jpg

bayice6.jpg

bayice2.jpg

bayice1.jpg

Hey, John, that's what the scooters with the ice runners were for! Tougher folk, those old baymen. Man, that's a bunch of ice up to the causeway.
Play safely.

No, I just had to sea trial a 44' Sea Ray Sedan Bridge. I ran from Lindenhurst to the east side of the RM Bridge and back. Short ride , lots of Buffleheads and Mergansers rafted up in the open water. I'm heading out tomorrow for a quick AM hunt.

I am wondering what the weekend will bring because it should ice up completely by then

Mike,

Give me a call if your heading out this weekend.

There is still plenty of open water. I have been keeping my marina open with a bunch of ice eaters and running boats up and down the canal each day to keep it from freezing up to thick. It looks like the Lindenhurst cut and Amityville cut are going to close up fast. Yesterday the Lindenhurst cut was packed with ice from the state channel to just beyond where the first set of bouys heading north would be. If we get the cold blast they are forcasting for later today, I'm sure by tomorrow morning it going to get thick again.
I could not make it out this morning as planned but will be out Saturday and Sunday.

Mike,

Give me a call if you want to hook up. I going out tomorrow for first light and Sunday I can't head out till around 7:30AM. I have to drop my daughter off at drivers ed.

John, I was down that way yesterday,and as you can see from my pics there are still plenty of open areas to hunt. Most ramps are still open. You may have to wait for someone to show up with one of those"duck tanks" to open it up first but then you should be good to go!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back