South Shore of LI ice is breaking up in the bay

John L

I was going to go out this morning for a quick hunt before work. When I got down to the marina the bay was frozen clear across from shore to shore. I did not have the time to bust through several miles of ice to get to a few very small open patches of water. So i just went to work early. By 1:30 pm this afternoon it was starting to loosen up and it looks like it will be even better tomorrow. We'll see what this warming trend brings tomorrow.
bayofice21-12-10.jpg

bayofice11-12-10.jpg

hey john was wondering where you are looking south there, i am gonna give it a college try out of captree ramp tomorrow pm i only saw one ramp that was worth a try out here as per scouting mon morning , dieing to get out

Brian,

That photo is looking S-SE from the Lindenhurst town dock at the end of Wellwood Ave (Neguntatogue Creek) in Lindenhurst. I work at Surfside 3 Marina / Marine Max down there. Thats pretty much my view all day.
I am off tomorrow and I'm going to head out also. I'm just using my BBSB tomorrow and will probably launch from Wantagh Park or Point Look out. Wantagh Park, I know I will have to break ice to get out but it's not a far run to get to open water. Lots of ice flows but still open and passable for the most part. Point Lookout ramp usually is one of the last ramps to freeze up and having the bay constables based out of there helps to keep things open. The Captree ramp is clear but if you try to head west you my have a problem, the whole bay back there was still locked up as of earlier today. If your heading out towards the inlet for some sea ducks you should be ok.

Hey guys I hunted this afternoon out of amityville and all the ice on the north side of the bay was pretty much gone. There was a decent amount of birds out there too but only managed one blackduck since the pintails just wanted to sit out in the open water

Back