Spring has sprung

TimJ

If you are going to come to SD for a snow goose hunt you better be getting here. Almost a constant stream of geese overhead this morning. Seems like mostly Canadas here in the far south eastern part of the state, most of the snows are headed a little farther west this year.

Suppose to hit the mid 60s today.... and be 35 tomorrow. Oh well it is going to warm back up after that. Time to start thinking about the garden.

Tim

I'll be planting tomatos this weekend down here in Mobile.

Hows the snow/water conditions up there? Based on the snow cover and drought maps, looks like the PPR is kinda dry this winter. Any insight?

It will be around two months before I will even think about planting tomatoes. Lucky we have long days once it does get warm.

We were very dry going into winter. So dry that the ground didn't freeze until mid january because there just wasn't moisture in it. In the last month and a half we have had good moisture. Last week we got about an 1 1/2" of rain. We had a couple other rains and a couple modest snows before that. Up north farther they had up to a foot of heavy wet snow last week and they were not nearly as dry as us to the south. I think it will be ok as long as we get normal spring rains. A couple 2" rains and we can go from drought to flood. Such a fine line here.

It might not be the best for waterfowl but it wasn't bad having a break this winter, the last couple were rough ones.

Tim

If you are going to come to SD for a snow goose hunt you better be getting here. Almost a constant stream of geese overhead this morning. Seems like mostly Canadas here in the far south eastern part of the state, most of the snows are headed a little farther west this year.

Suppose to hit the mid 60s today.... and be 35 tomorrow. Oh well it is going to warm back up after that. Time to start thinking about the garden.

Tim

It is a great feeling. I was out the other day at dusk trying to fill a tag and the Red-winged Blackbirds were calling on the pond - sure felt like spring.

We have our alliums under lights and they are up a couple inches. I expect that Jen will get more stuff going in a day or two.

Sounds like good news for the ducks ass far as the water goes.

In Mobile, we have to plant tomatos early, by late June/early july the temperatures get too hot & humid for them to flower & pollinate properly and they simply stop producing.
But if you time it right you can plant a second batch in August and get tomatos in October.
Plus I can grow daikon radish, peas & cabbage all winter.

Tim,
Our peach trees will be blooming any day now. It was 75F yesterday. The thing I am looking forward to the most would be the arrival of the hummingbirds from Mexico. They normally begin coming here on April 1st.
Boy, is it ever quiet in the bosque now that all the snow geese have left. Only a handful of sandhill cranes remain and I'm sure they will soon be gone, also.
Al

Wonder if it was one of the couple of hundreds robins that were in the hackberry tree behind our house last week?????

Wiz Boz,
Our robins seemed to have moved back into town on the same day. They are looking hard for worms but the ground still has some frost in it.

Al,
I'm just hoping a few crocuses will bloom in the next week or two.
I've been looking at some annuals that I can plant for hummingbirds. I'll find a couple perennials also but I need something that will grow fast. We don't get nearly the numbers that you do but it is nice to see one or two buzzing around the yard.

Tod,
How late do your seasons go on?
Red-wings are the sound of spring around a wetland. Once they have young they are the annoying dive bombers of the wetlands.

Tim

Tim
Weve seen our first robin today in Southern Wisconsin.
wis boz
I saw my first robin this morning walking out to the car to go to work. It took me a minute to realize the significance of that. :)

Tim
wis boz
I saw my first robin this morning walking out to the car to go to work. It took me a minute to realize the significance of that. :)

That is significant. We have lazy robins around here, they just walk around on the lawn picking up worms.

Hope the sap is running good for you.

Tim

Tim
wis boz

That is significant. We have lazy robins around here, they just walk around on the lawn picking up worms.

Tim

Ours are the same as Tim's, other than migrating they show little initiative.

T

I know it's spring here when the cedar waxwings return. But with not much snow this year, I wasn't sure if winter ever came.

Tim
wis boz

Tim

LOL!! Re-reading my original post. I was a little startled when he hopped in and started it up. When he gets back, I'll ask him where he works.

Todd, are your ducks lazy too? Those nasty things seem to just land anywhere!!!! Hehehehe. Trip.

Tod - does it work better when you set up a bunch of those robos in a v-formation?

;-)

Todd, are your ducks lazy too? Those nasty things seem to just land anywhere!!!! Hehehehe. Trip.

Tod - does it work better when you set up a bunch of those robos in a v-formation?

;-)

That's Tod's ventriloquist dummy. He keeps saying "On a stick" to everything and everyone laughs. It should last him another 20 years if he can just get that grumpy old man attitude down... ummm... oh nevermind... ;)

;-)

That's Tod's ventriloquist dummy. He keeps saying "On a stick" to everything and everyone laughs. It should last him another 20 years if he can just get that grumpy old man attitude down... ummm... oh nevermind... ;)

I'm laughing on the outside...

Back