Spring...

Nice Tod! I am jealous of anyone who was successful on turkeys this year. Damn florida turkeys #!$%~#$#@ !!!!! Ah well.

Dani said:
Nice Tod! I am jealous of anyone who was successful on turkeys this year. Damn florida turkeys #!$%~#$#@ !!!!! Ah well.

Bummer. We have good numbers of birds this year, so that is making it a little easier. We have been on a 10 year decline and it has been getting tougher and tougher every year, but this year it seems like there are pockets of a lot more birds than I have been seeing the past couple years. I have another tag, so we will see if I can get that third filled, but it has been great so far.

Another nice bird Tod. Darned if I can remember when you said he turns 12, but get Gus out there asap. Chasing old Tom gets a young guys full attention.

Found it! A couple of days is better than no days.

Last edited:
SJ Fairbank said:
Another nice bird Tod. Darned if I can remember when you said he turns 12, but get Gus out there asap. Chasing old Tom gets a young guys full attention.

The 18th of the month. We patterned his gun last night and I'm hoping that the birds keep cooperating.

Huntindave McCann said:
Huntindave McCann said:
Nice photos, thanks for sharing.

BTW,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Was that turkey suicidal or just a slow learner? [w00t][w00t]

Dave: Check this link out. Pretty funny:

https://youtu.be/84qBanIzbGc

Last edited:
Congratulations, Todd, nice bird. Well,it's been bouncing back and forth between rain, sleet and snow for three days, culminating in a five inch snowfall that melted-off on Thursday. Superior was supposed to be 1-3' with a NE wind, but at 5:00AM we had nothing when I fed the dogs, couldn't even hear surf rolling in. I flipped a coin and decided to hunt turkey out south of us in a cluster of agriculture inland in Skandia...run and gun via Tundra.

Located some birds quickly but was turned down on the permission side. One more no, and then a yes from a guy who normally always says no. I helped him get a stuck tractor out of a spring field two years back...surprised he remembered me. This gave me access to the fence line the birds were moving along west-to-east. I use a sandhill crane call I made from a Tim Grounds long magnum goose call as my locator, since it works during daylight and sounds natural to Spring fields up here. The kept responding to the call well, so I set-up just behind a small knoll on the fence were it hits a corner with the woodlot. I use a pair of hen silhouettes that are easy to carry.

By 12:17 I had a nice bird with a 7 1/2" beard down. We can only shoot one bird in spring and one in fall. I was using an extended full choke tube in my SBE, which courtesy of the #5 heavy shot tore his head and a big chunk of fan pretty much apart. I lost a bird four years ago that I rolled completely over on the shot. That cured me of a bad habit of walking to the bird after putting my gun down on the ground. I was surprised when he nearly got to his feet after the shot, largely because of the volume of feathers the shot cut off. He will go in the smoker tomorrow PM for dinner.

RLLigman said:
Congratulations, Todd, nice bird. Well,it's been bouncing back and forth between rain, sleet and snow for three days, culminating in a five inch snowfall that melted-off on Thursday. Superior was supposed to be 1-3' with a NE wind, but at 5:00AM we had nothing when I fed the dogs, couldn't even hear surf rolling in. I flipped a coin and decided to hunt turkey out south of us in a cluster of agriculture inland in Skandia...run and gun via Tundra.

Located some birds quickly but was turned down on the permission side. One more no, and then a yes from a guy who normally always says no. I helped him get a stuck tractor out of a spring field two years back...surprised he remembered me. This gave me access to the fence line the birds were moving along west-to-east. I use a sandhill crane call I made from a Tim Grounds long magnum goose call as my locator, since it works during daylight and sounds natural to Spring fields up here. The kept responding to the call well, so I set-up just behind a small knoll on the fence were it hits a corner with the woodlot. I use a pair of hen silhouettes that are easy to carry.

By 12:17 I had a nice bird with a 7 1/2" beard down. We can only shoot one bird in spring and one in fall. I was using an extended full choke tube in my SBE, which courtesy of the #5 heavy shot tore his head and a big chunk of fan pretty much apart. I lost a bird four years ago that I rolled completely over on the shot. That cured me of a bad habit of walking to the bird after putting my gun down on the ground. I was surprised when he nearly got to his feet after the shot, largely because of the volume of feathers the shot cut off. He will go in the smoker tomorrow PM for dinner.

Great to hear that you got your bird, it is satisfying after all the effort put in, that is for sure.

tod osier said:
RLLigman said:

Great to hear that you got your bird, it is satisfying after all the effort put in, that is for sure.
View attachment 001.JPGView attachment 003.JPG

tod osier said:
Wet day doesn't make for the best photos, but I got it done with my second bird yesterday. This is a bird I've been hoping to get on - boss bird with a huge crew (up to 8 hens, depending on the day, and 2 jakes). I was able to get in close on the dark morning with the small moon and clouds make it happen. Nice bird, heavy, long spurs...

[.img]https://i.imgur.com/picZkJy.jpg[/img]

Man that?s great! Makes me smile!
My daughter decided to try and get in on our great turkey action this season. I picked up her youth tag today ( her last eligible year). Hopefully she can connect like the rest of us.

Great going!

jode hillman said:
Man that?s great! Makes me smile!
My daughter decided to try and get in on our great turkey action this season. I picked up her youth tag today ( her last eligible year). Hopefully she can connect like the rest of us.

Great going!

Thanks Jode, I was headed out the door at 6 this morning to give the turkeys a try after the rain tapered off, but I never made it out. Massive influx of tweety-birds overnight and I ended up waking Jen and Gus up to go out to our swamp and see what warblers we could find. When the trees are behind with leafing out like they are this year and the birds show up, you can really see them up in the treetops (normally you can't see them because fo the foliage). Huge numbers of Black-throated Green Warblers and Black and White Warblers along with a nice mix of others. We had a couple close encounters with Canada Warblers, which are a real treat. What a cool time of year.

We have eating plenty of turkey lately, but turkey for dinner again tonight :).

Want to see girl with dead turkey pics!

Last edited:
Back