starcraft support questions

I just bought this boat and I wanted to make a few changes to turn it into a tender boat. The boat is a starcraft classic fisherman 16'. I would like to move the steering wheel and control back so I can sit on the back bench and drive. This will allow me to put all the gear and layout boat on the front. I know I have to get new control cables because I am shorten the distance but I have to get them anyway due to them being stretched out. I'm worried about the steering wheel cable however. Can i take out the live well box and the other box or do those have to be there to support the sides? help will be appreciated.

">">

Last edited:
Here's a thought. If you want to be steering from the back bench, why not convert your motor to a tiller and dispense with the whole console altogether. You could still have a small control panel for your electrical, etc. but look how much room you'd gain.

A suggestion much like Pete's would be to just put a steering tiller on the motor and very short cables on the control box. The reason being that I don't think you can find a tiller for that Force. Maybe it is a Merc, maybe a Chrysler I don't know but you could just fashion a steering handle and go with the control box moved back. This is an idea that has been rattling around in my head for years since converting my 75 Evinrude to a tiller, I went with factory stuff just because I could but still think it is a good idea.

I never thought of turning it into a tiller great idea! I will look into it and see if i can find a kit. I like to the lever steering but due to different people using it that might be to complex.

Mitchell, I would be careful how much side support I took out of the boat without putting something back in. My 16' Starcraft uses side flotation pods to support the sides, and they became detached over the years and had to be repaired. I did this by adding a casting deck and tying the two sides together that way and lots of 5200. View attachment flotation.jpg

Finished productView attachment casting.jpg

My other suggestion would be to remove all of that carpet if you are hunting salt water. I used Herculiner on my deck and then FME from Lou Tisch to get the color and protection. He also has AG primer for raw aluminum.

Looks like the boat has a high bow which is why the console is further ahead than back. I would mount the console back like you asked about but plan on standing up to see over the bow.
Gun boxes and built in decoy racks would look great along the sides and would store lots of gear.
Nice boat for big water hunting and fishing!

I definitely plan on replacing the carpet with new carpet. I will not be hunting salt water unfortunately. I'm trying to find a way to turn my 40hp force into a tiller but i don't think it will be an option. I can't find anything that would work.

Last edited:
Search posts by John Bourbon from a few years back. He made a tiller from hardwood and mounted the remote controls to the gunnel at the back it worked very well just no twist throttle which was a bonus.

I did much as Dave suggested but used 1" EMT conduit on my boat.
The controls were just moved back to the rear seat. I'll see if I have a
Picture to post. Worked good with my 28hp, John
[inlineP1010632.JPG]

View attachment P1010632.JPG

Last edited:
Back