Started Another Duck Boat Build

Great job Dave. I was wondering what the benefit of the graphite was as well, slcker in the water, less drag and more fuel efficient? Very clean job and you have passed me like I'm standing still, which is pretty much true this past month.
John

John, this was a first for me, using graphite. I weighed the cost of using graphite verses painting, graphite came out ahead. I think 6 oz. of graphite was about $10.00 plus epoxy verses $40.00 for a quart of two part Interlux epoxy primer and $40.00 for a quart of Interlux boat paint. Last year, I built a modified Kara. I sparyed it with automotive epoxy primer and two part polyeurthane paint. Just the paint, thiner and cleaner came to approx. $300.00 or more, and then I toned it down with cheap camo spray paint.

Further update! The hull was flipped over two weeks ago. Sponsons and hull have been filleted and taped, glassed with 12 oz Biaxial cloth and epoxy. That 12 oz cloth sure soaks up a lot of epoxy. It has been wash twice and sanded. The inside will be left rough as it will be painted with a textured paint. It is now ready for the sole supports and sole to be epoxied in. Then bulkheads and frames will be added. So far not a single nail or screw has been used.

DB2-17.jpg

DB2-16.jpg

Last edited:
Perfect ! Your big smile in the last picture says it all. Dave don't forget to post more pictures as the project progress.

James Roberts

Hi all! I would like to have a custom gas tank made for the bow of my boat. Anybody have any leads on a service that makes gas tanks.

Dave

Copy of IMG_1795.JPGCIMG0488.JPGDave

A local welder makes fuel tanks for race cars. I talked to him, made a mold out of blue foam. Gave him the mold and 150 dollars. A week later I have a fuel tank. It's for a broad bill "eight gallon capacity " for long camping weekends". Normally I don't fill it all the way. The filler cap is through the hull. I can stand on the ground next to the boat and filler up, I like that a lot . I used a block of wood to lock the tank in place. So it would not be "permanent". If I remove the tank, it's three hose clamps two min.

James Roberts

An update on my progress. Here it is with bulk heads and internal framing. Deck panels are cut, waiting for ordered hardware to be mount thru the hull and a custom gas tank to be finished. PVC pipe alone the sides are for gas line and light wires.

DB2-18.jpg

DB2-19.jpg

Last edited:
Dave,

It looks really good. Very intersted and watching your progress. Did you choose to glass both inside and out because of the plywood choice or would you have done that regardless of plywood type?

I know here in Canada we have to have our fuel outlet on the top of the tank for Gasoline. Just wondered if it was the same for the US coast guard. Nice looking setup.

Eric

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
I know here in Canada we have to have our fuel outlet on the top of the tank for Gasoline. Just wondered if it was the same for the US coast guard.

Good point Eric, With out going to double check myself, I am going to say that the regs are the same for the states,. Fuel outlet goes out the top for gasoline boat tanks.
[/font]

Dave,

It looks really good. Very intersted and watching your progress. Did you choose to glass both inside and out because of the plywood choice or would you have done that regardless of plywood type?

Glassing the inside is Bateau plan specs. 12 oz on the outside and 12 oz inside.

Another up-date on my progress. Inside is ready for epoxy primer. My holdup is waiting on the fabrication of an internal gas tank. Floatation foam in in the floor, front bulkhead and sponsons. I also added support for the when grass rail is attached to the decking. I also made a switch box for running lights, several red LED lights under the decking and a 12 volt source for a spot light.

DB2-20.jpg

DB2-21.jpg

Last edited:
Dave,

Keep posting as you move along I am very interested in the build since it was easy to adapt the plans to scale up and down. Also am very interested in the wood you used. I already have other builds in mind.

I noticed you went with the large eye on the bow as well. I did the same.

What type of battery are you thinking of in th boat. I am starting to think about wires and lights as well. Origionally it was going to be just clip on lights but now I am reconsidering after all bilge pump will need to run anyway so a battery is a must.

Dave,
Great boat you're building. Hope your tank comes in soon for you. Has to be painful for you to wait for it, since your work on the boat has been coming along nicely.

I'll bet you're chompin' at the bit to get 'er done and take 'er out!

Keep on postin' your progress!

Dave,

Keep posting as you move along I am very interested in the build since it was easy to adapt the plans to scale up and down. Also am very interested in the wood you used. I already have other builds in mind.

I noticed you went with the large eye on the bow as well. I did the same.

What type of battery are you thinking of in th boat. I am starting to think about wires and lights as well. Origionally it was going to be just clip on lights but now I am reconsidering after all bilge pump will need to run anyway so a battery is a must.

Brandon, This boat has a sole for a floor. The area between the hull and sole is completely sealed and filled with floatation foam. No bilge pump, just a normal drain hole. Drilled an 1 1/8" diameter then filled with epoxy putty, and then drilled a 1' drain hole in the center, no metal liner for a drain. Lights will be fix bow and removeable pole light for the back, stored up under the deck just before the motor well. Several LED lights up under the decking and a 12 volt plug supply for a hand held spot light. You can't see them in the picture, but I have 1 1/4" holes up in the mid supports just under the grass rail support. I will slide in the hole 1" thin wall PVC pipe to run the gas line on one side to the back of the boat and electrical wires on the other side. A normal 12 Volt marine battery will be installed in the bow.

It has been a while since I posted on my Duck Boat project. I sort of took a two month break while I was waiting for my gas tank to be fabricated. So here it is almost ready to paint. Some small things left to do; like paint the underneath decking, pull wires and fuel hose through PVC pipe up under the deck panels, and install lights, switches and gas filler and tank. Ran into one snag! Purchased a 1999 Yamaha 25 hp motor with electric start, for $885.00 in very good shape. It was advertised as a long shaft, but turned out to be an extra long shaft, 25". So I had to raise the height of the transom, which defeated the need for a splash well. I ended up with a 2" thick transom. It was intially set up for remote opertion, but had a triller had installed. I need to wire a start and kill switch.

DB2-22.jpg

DB2-23.jpg

DB2-24.jpg

Last edited:
Back