Starting Older Mercurys in cold weather

Andrew L.

Hello Gents,

Hope everyone is fairing well during the offseason. Banquets have kept me busy and the weather has turned warm up here so for now I have kept my sanity.

About to acquire an early 80's 65hp Mercury outboard from my uncle and he has told me that in cold weather he has had slight problems starting the engine, he used starting fluid to help get it started on 40 degree days. I also have heard others talk about Mercs being a pain to start in the cold.

I will be using this motor on a tender rig and will have plenty of days where the temps will be below 20 degrees. Anyone have experience with older Mercs in cold weather? Anything you did to help start it? Just looking for ways to possibly curve the problem before I find myself stuck at the launch in November.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm no help with mercs, but starting fluid on a two stroke is a no no. Fastest way to blow up your motor- it washes and burns all of the oil out of the bearings and rings. good luck with the engine, some google research may provide some good tips.

I'm no help with mercs, but starting fluid on a two stroke is a no no. Fastest way to blow up your motor- it washes and burns all of the oil out of the bearings and rings. good luck with the engine, some google research may provide some good tips.

Right the starting fluid makes me cringe. I'm hoping there is some better methods out there

Andrew If the motor is in good tune and has decent compression, it should start as well as any other make of outboard. I was on a thread recently about a few of us who had later midel mercs with two click choke levers, one for fast idle and one for choke. I never discovered the second click for the first two years I owned the motor. Boy did I do a lot of pulling and that was in florida. This is my North Dakota motor now and starts on a couple pulls on the coldest mornings, with two clicks of the choke! Rich

Rich,

George mentioned something similar that I will check out next week once I start work on the boat. Ill report back.

Yep, do a search for my post about my "hard starting Merc".
Turns out I was not pulling the primer/choke out all the way and it was not being properly primed.
Now that I figured that out, its three pulls on the primer, set to fast idle and she cranks in about a 1/2 pull.

"cranks in about a 1/2 pull"

I get cranky in half a pull too. Oh, wait, you are talking motors. My '95 Merc 25 is electric start. Pull the choke and hit the button once and fires right up. Trip.

Andrew, Although not a Mercury, I had a 2002 75hp Honda that was a bear to start in Dec/January...The cure...I went to 1000 amp cold cranking battery and never had another problem.

On the starter fluid thing, I have a spray bottle with mixed gas that I use for small engines.

Good luck.

Andrew
I had a 72 65hp Merc and it was a hard starter even in warm weather. Once it started it always started during that day. A merc dealer told me there was some type of float in the gas tank that when the engine was telted prior to launching would cause that. I don't know how realistic that was and never heard it from any other source? My son never seemed to have trouble starting it---pilot error?
wis boz

Last edited:
I find with most of the old motors there is a "combination" once you figure it out your ok. Unfortunately I have not found the warm weather combination for my latest old merc

Andrew, All good advice but I just have to repeat NO STARTING FLUID!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know you know better but I just had to say it ;-). Finally if you insist on running those black motors, sorry.;-(

Andrew, All good advice but I just have to repeat NO STARTING FLUID!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know you know better but I just had to say it ;-). Finally if you insist on running those black motors, sorry.;-(

Thanks. Its not that I insist, trust me I am an Evinrude guy, but if the boat comes with a Merc and she runs im going to run it until I can afford something better. Well see how it goes. I just need it to make me through one season!

This is why I like the fuel injection and direct injection motors so much. They can sit around all winter and always start right up in the spring. Plus they are putting the starting fluid companies out of business.

Back