Stick Steering

Criss Dougherty

Have a question that I hope someone has an answer to.....Since I'm stuck in Iraq, with nothing better to do than think, I came up with the idea that I want to convert my steering driven 70hp Evinrude, into one of those closer to the front of the boat stick types. gonna ditch the console altogether to make more room for My lab and extra dekes...any help?

View attachment boat71.jpg

First, Criss,
Thaks for your service.
Now,stick steering.
The yard boats up here use it cause its simple to rig. A few pulleys and some cable and you are in action. The stick pivots and the cable is rigged pull\pull. It still needs a box for the throttle\shift but those can be rigged to the side of the gunnel.
They also do it down in the chesapeak on some of the commercial boats. Allows the fisherman to work the side of the skiff without leaving control when haulling crab pots.
I will see if I can get a picture of one this spring.

Most of the local fishermen and hunting guides on Ocracoke Island use a stick system too. I've seen them wired with plastic covered clothesline wire. Not only is traditional but saves them money and can be repaired at home. They still have to use a control box for shifting gears.
Best,
Harry

Guys,
thanks for the help. I have heard that the pulley/clothesline set ups are dangerous due to the fact that if the line breaks, the heavy spring on the other side of the motor will quickly pull the engine to that side. If the commercial fishermen trust it, however, it can't be that bad due to the fact that their boat is their living. Thanks once again for the help.

There is no way I would set up an outboard on some ropes or cables and pulley. Seen that on old run abouts... dangerous enough on a pleasure boat in the summer, not willing to risk that standing up in winter conditions, iced up pulleys, etc. I had stick steering on a duck boat I had. It was the same push/pull cable that steering wheel used, but went into a box with a lever arm versus the wheel. Loved it, kept the whole boat open, easy to stand and run the boat, and decoy retrieval was easy too.

Larry J, has the same set up on his boat, but installed the lever arm on the front decK horizontally. Neat set up I had not seen before, but only works in a boat with small cockpit I suspect. Can't back up on decoys if you are steering from midship?

Dave

You should check out EZ Glide
Someone on here had one for sale in the classifieds, and I think that they work with the teleflex system.

You will get more beat up in a heavy sea the closer to the bow you are. Stick steering is fine but closer to the bow will make you pay in lost comfort.

Best,
Harry

There is no way I would set up an outboard on some ropes or cables and pulley. Seen that on old run abouts... dangerous enough on a pleasure boat in the summer, not willing to risk that standing up in winter conditions, iced up pulleys, etc. I had stick steering on a duck boat I had. It was the same push/pull cable that steering wheel used, but went into a box with a lever arm versus the wheel. Loved it, kept the whole boat open, easy to stand and run the boat, and decoy retrieval was easy too.

Larry J, has the same set up on his boat, but installed the lever arm on the front decK horizontally. Neat set up I had not seen before, but only works in a boat with small cockpit I suspect. Can't back up on decoys if you are steering from midship?

Dave

Criss,

What you need is one of the Ezy-Glide Stik Steering systems. it's a large metal "pulley" contained in a plastic housing with a steering cable attached. The handle is roughly 18" stainless steel rod with plastic ball on type. very nice quality, but shiney. they are made to be mounted on port side, so throttle is on starboard. the only difference between the three models (i think one has been discontinued) is the HP rating and the acr that they travel. I bought the Ezy Glide III with the least arc. it's worked out very well. good luck and stay safe.

you really need to know where you're going to mount it before ordering so you can get the correct length cable.

here's the link http://www.ezyglide.com/

Last edited:
Criss,
Sorry I don't have any suggestions for the stick steering I replied because I wanted to thank you for being in Iraq so I can live the way I live! I have no greater respect for anyone on this earth than our guys in the military. Thank you for my freedom, my happiness, my family's comfort and security and to live in the greatest Country in the world.
Anytime you are in CT let me know as I would drop what I am doing to take you hunting.

Jim Bucko

Back