summer flatfish

greg setter

Sponsor
Striper fishing kind of goes away around the 4th of July in my neck of the woods, and I don't really like to run offshore to any distance in my 20' Robalo. I mostly fish for fluke, aka summer flounder, in the summer. I took yesterday afternoon off as it is pretty hot around here, and had a great trip. Flounder fishing for me is meat fishing, so I keep most of the legal sized fish that I catch. This year has been very good for flounder, with everyone at the marina I am in that fishes for them doing pretty good. Here is nice limit of flatties that were all between 17.5"s(minimum size) and 22"s.

View attachment flouder july 2.jpg

Many people think that flounder don't really fight hard, but that is because in the ocean you sometimes need a heavy weight to get to the bottom. I try and fish a light spinning rod with 8lb test and and use 1 oz jigs with a trailer hook. When you properly match your tackle, you find that fluke are one strong fish that can pull the drag and give you your money's worth.

Live bait is always best, and cut bait is good to, and a Berkely bait called a Gulp! has become very popular in recent years(saltwater Gulps outperform the freshwater ones in salt water). My ultimate bait of choice is small baby bluefish when I can get them(I caught three yesterday and caught two of the fish in the picture plus three others that I threw back with those), after that is spearing(a small bay anchovy),baby bunker(peanuts), then salt minnows(killies). There is something about bluefish that these things can't resist, they will keep hitting a bait well after it is dead and until there is nothing left. If I am using cut bait I try and catch 2-3 lb bluefish and cut that in strips. I really like to catch all my own bait, because catching the bait is at least as much fun as catching the bigger fish. I will use a circular throw net, a seine(if I have a partner), and an umbrella net, depending on what is around and where I am.

One of the great things about fishing the bay and working the tides is figuring out what stage of the tide is best at a particular time depending on conditions(water clarity, temperature, and tide height) and the fact that since the water is almost always moving, you can get radical shifts in structure every year and sometimes month to month, which makes figuring all that out half the fun. Channels and their edges, cuts in sand bars, skinny backwaters can all hold fluke. Lately the incoming tide has been better, mostly because with all of the rain we have had the outgoing tide carries all of the runoff with it and the water gets turbid, and since fluke are primarly sight feeders, you want water clarity which the incoming generally brings from the ocean. The top of the outgoing tide has also been good before the water starts to get cloudy, but that will change as we hit a dry spell. When the outgoing water is clean, fluke will hold at ambush points where the marshes and sand bars empty out and where various bait fish come through. I find that is the better tide in August and September, while the incoming is better in June and July.

Here is my fishing machine. It is a 1981 Robalo R200, which I have had for about 10 years. I have done a lot of work on this boat, and have really enjoyed it. I still have some cosmetic stuff to do in fixing some dings in the fiberglass and spider cracks, maybe next winter and spring I will do that and maybe some people on this board can help me with how to do it. It could also use a paint job, although I have gotten it pretty good looking after a big compounding job last year. I enjoy the teak that is on it, you don't see many boats in this size range come with that anymore because of the cost. But mostly what I like about this boat is the sea-worthiness of the hull. Barnegat Inlet, where where I fish out of, can get very rough and I have come through it in 6-8' standing waves, and it is no problem in this boat, although a bit uncomfortable. It is a deep V design and heavy, over 2000lbs without a motor or fuel, and was built for coastal fisherman to be able to run offshore in something small. It is self-bailing and foam filled, so it won't sink, and if you take one over the bow, no problem, the low transom and scuppers will let it all run right back out.

View attachment may 2011.jpg

Greg, that had to be fun. What a great day to take off and trying to beat the heat. Not only that but now you have some good fish dinners coming up. Your picture reminded me of halibut in Alaska. Glad you were so successful.
Al

I fished out of Manasquan yesterday and did very well also. The bite was excellent yesterday

Very nice! And good eats too!
I haven't had a chance to flounder fish this year, too much rain, water has been really screwed up.

17.5 right next door in in NJ and we have a 19" minimum length here in NY. Doesnt make sense....

17.5 right next door in in NJ and we have a 19" minimum length here in NY. Doesnt make sense....

Yes is does Chris.....It comes from the amount of coastline and number of anglers per state. So stop whining LOL

You have your opinion, I have mine.... I haven't whined since I was an infant by the way....

Yes is does Chris.....It comes from the amount of coastline and number of anglers per state. So stop whining LOL

You Long Island guys do have a larger length limit, but you catch way more doormats than we do. I used to fish out in hampton Bays with a guy for stripers, and his favorite bait was about a 10" winter flounder. I think your size limit on fluke then was around 15"s. There was a time here when there wasn't a size limit on them here in NJ.

Matt, fluke fishing has been good so far this year, but all of our action is in the bay. The ocean has been tough the last couple of years out of BI, we just haven't been able to find them consistently in the big water.

You have your opinion, I have mine.... I haven't whined since I was an infant by the way....

It's not an opinion. That's how they come up with the regulations.

My opinion is that is does not make sense to have different length requirements in neighboring states.... I believe it should be one requirement, for all states. No matter how much coastline there is. The fish populations dont care about state lines, how much coastlines each state has, etc. That's politicizing the management of fish in my opinion.

Last edited:
My opinion is that is does not make sense to have different length requirements in neighboring states.... I believe it should be one requirement, for all states. No matter how much coastline there is. The fish populations dont care about state lines, how much coastlines each state has, etc. That's politicizing the management of fish in my opinion.

Your opinion really doesn't matter Chris because it's based on nothing but your wanting to keep more fish. The fact is that regulations go on the number of lbs each state catches not the number of fish....PERIOD

I never said I wanted to keep more fish, I said the size limit should be the same everywhere. Whether that is 19 or 17.5 or some other number wasnt my point, just that it should be the same. I know "why" these decisions are made by our gov't and politics play too large a part, it doesn't mean I have to agree with them. And YES, my opinion (and everyone elses) does matter! Or, at least it used to in this country...

I never said I wanted to keep more fish, I said the size limit should be the same everywhere. Whether that is 19 or 17.5 or some other number wasnt my point, just that it should be the same. I know "why" these decisions are made by our gov't and politics play too large a part, it doesn't mean I have to agree with them. And YES, my opinion (and everyone elses) does matter! Or, at least it used to in this country...

Why should your opinion matter on this issue ???? Are you a fish biologist ? Are you in charge of keep the stocks strong ? NO YOUR NOT.
Fluke don't migrate like Striped Bass or ducks for that matter so its of no use to think of them in the same way.

Now stop whining and go fishing like I'm gonna do

Hi Wesley-indeed it is. Charlie(Grandpa) is one of my favorite guys at the marina. It is a great place to slip, right next to the inlet, some of the best fishermen in the area are there, you can always pick up some knowledge and share some info with them. If you are there and someone is at my boat, I'm sure it will be me, say hello.

come on now... this is the reason that this is about the only forum I can stand to read anymore b/c theres not a bunch of people trying to start a fight with every comment like on so many of the others...

hey on another note in NC the limit is 15in for recs and 12in for commercial!! If you want to know how to mis-manage a resource just consult our DMF they can destroy anything... our saltwater resource management is a flat out joke.. the feds even threatened to come take it all over a few times because its so screwed up (a lot of money lined pockets round these parts).

Back