Sunfish conversion help

Colin Fitzpatrick

My buddy and I just picked up two sunfish hulls going to convert into sneak boxes anybody have pictures of theirs or have stp by step. All the help I can get will be greatly appercated

I built two over the years, the first 3 pic are the first one built the last pic is the second one.
Layout2.jpg

Layout4.jpg

Layout1.jpg

Layoutboat3.jpg

I shortened the boat by cutting off the transom (boat #1 is 10' boat #2 is 11') and installing a new wood one.
Removed a good portion of the deck and center board.
Added a battery tray and floor support with wiring to a 40lb motor.

I started this one a few years ago but never finished it. I wanted to shorten it and open the cock pit up, like jeff did. Shortly after starting this project I picked up the sneak box I have now and never got around to finishing the sunfish.

7307825716_4b9d886b01.jpg

7307826178_721bfc660d.jpg

Check out the "search posts" tab above. Put sunfish conversion in the search and you should get quite a few good posts!

I cut a motor well in the back deck of one and then wetted some 3/4 MDO with West System and glassed over it. That boat was sold to a guy on the coast and he has run a 6 hp SS for 8 seasons. Built one with a swallow tail tried an 8hp but got to much spray. Gave that one to a buddy using a 4hp and/or electric on small water. Fun and easy to fix up to hunt with. Keep in mind deck support as you experiment, lots of the "Allcourt" boats used foam blocks to give the deck support. Couldn't find any pic's but I'll keep looking.

Collin- keep us posted on the build. I am headed to pick up 2 or 3 next weekend. My son has been wanting to build a hybrid for about a year. We were planning to do one this summer. I have read about some of these modified Sunfish hulls and got very interested. Anyway, the boy is 11y.o. And when I learned of a couple of hulls for sale locally, he is biting and the bit to be a boat owner. He has his money in hand to buy his very own boat! Can't hardly stop a kid mowing grass and shoveling snow for money to buy his own duck boat!

Back