SUZUKI 4 STROKE feedback

Dick Veal

any feed back on a Suzuki 4 stroke 15 HP
I hear good things on these motors was wondering if anyone has a newer one with the EFI

Last edited:
Some of my friends have bigger Suzuki's and love them but I can't find anyone that has a 15 or 20 hp tiller.They seem to be the lightest 4 stroke and I'm very interested in some info myself.

I have the 20hp on my southbay.
I was looking at the 15. When I spoke with sales, they said the difference between a 9.9 and the 15 isn't very much and said to go with the 20. The specs between the 15 and 20 are very close.
I wasn't able to use the boat very much this year, but when I did the motor worked very well. Smooth running and very quiet, and more than enough power. Starting was also one pull.

I do not have one but one of my friends has a 15 on a southbay and it runs fine. It always starts even on the coldest days, it sips gas compared to my 2 stroke and it is as quite as a church mouse. His engine is nearly 20 years old with very few issues.

I do not have one but one of my friends has a 15 on a southbay and it runs fine. It always starts even on the coldest days, it sips gas compared to my 2 stroke and it is as quite as a church mouse. His engine is nearly 20 years old with very few issues.

Thanks Patrick and Bill.....That's all I wanted to hear.

Best
Bob

Last edited:
I have a 2013 15 with the efi and cannot say enough good things about it. Quiet, smooth, starts right up and runs like a top. I wanted something more reliable than my old 2 stroke evinrude. The weight of all these new four strokes is their downfall but this is the lightest in it's class at 97 lbs. I do not have one bad thing to say about it.

I have a 2013 15 with the efi and cannot say enough good things about it. Quiet, smooth, starts right up and runs like a top. I wanted something more reliable than my old 2 stroke evinrude. The weight of all these new four strokes is their downfall but this is the lightest in it's class at 97 lbs. I do not have one bad thing to say about it.

Is your a rope start Tom ? If so how hard is starting it ?
Thanks
Bob

I had a 2008 Suzuki 15 with electric start on my sneakbox. It was a great motor, very reliable and pushed my boat with myself, decoys and dog with no problem. I had a displacement hull and the boat handled flawlessly. I'm now looking at their 30 hp motor for my new boat.

Yes it is a rope start. It believe it has some sort of easy start system. It is pretty easy to pull. Very rarely, it feels like it sticks but I just pull it again and it starts.

Guys, thanks. Tom that was what I was hopling to hear. I now they only weigh in at 10 lbs more than a 15 two stroke with pull start. The electric is heavier

I have an 18 tohatsu that weights 76 lbs. I did not weigh my 15 evinrude but carry both enough to know the evinrude is lighter. The difference is closer to 20 lbs but you get some weight back by not having to carry as much fuel as a 2 stroke.

I run a Evinrude Etec 25hp electric start on my DB13 and love it but it weighs 162lbs plus 40lbs for the battery.

A Suzuki 20hp rope start is 97 lbs.Which is a huge difference on a boat that weighs only 275 lbs. Yes I will lose speed but won't it make it easier to pull the boat off the mud ?

I will never buy another Suzuki product ever again after how I have been being treated by them trying to get mine fixed.

Here you can read it all. I'm not going to type it all out. It still has not been fixed. Dealer can't touch it till Suzuki says what he can actually do to it.

http://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?t=33899

I will never buy another Suzuki product ever again after how I have been being treated by them trying to get mine fixed.

Here you can read it all. I'm not going to type it all out. It still has not been fixed. Dealer can't touch it till Suzuki says what he can actually do to it.

http://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?t=33899
Every manufacturer produces lemons but that's a pretty shitty way to treat a customer. WOW

I have a 2012 15 EFI. When I first got the motor I couldn't have been happier. Ran great on a Higbee. Pushed the boat 29-30 mph with just me and 25-26 loaded. However this year it ran like crap. I took it to my dealer and found out that it was getting to cool . Didn't know that was a problem, but it is. I got it back and took it out only to return to the dealer with another alarm code. Now it's a timing sensor. I stopped at the dealers tonight to find out it's not fixed yet because of a dispute with them getting paid for prior warranty work from Suzuki. If I had to do all I would have looked at Tohatsu as they are suppose to be coming out with a 15 and 9.8 EFI next year according to my dealer. They all ready have a 25 efi

Mark

Last edited:
I have a 2012 15 EFI. When I first got the motor I couldn't have been happier. Ran great on a Higbee. Pushed the boat 29-30 mph with just me and 25-26 loaded. However this year it ran like crap. I took it to my dealer and found out that it was getting to cool . Didn't know that was a problem, but it is. I got it back and took it out only to return to the dealer with another alarm code. Now it's a timing sensor. I stopped at the dealers tonight to find out it's not fixed yet because of a dispute with them getting paid for prior warranty work from Suzuki. If I had to do all I would have looked at Tohatsu as they are suppose to be coming out with a 15 and 9.8 EFI next year according to my dealer. They all ready have a 25 efi

Mark

Thanks for the info .I've heard the motor run great but it's very hard to find a good mechanic to work on them on LI.

Back