Taking Inventory: What's Your Favorite Waterfowl Gun and Why

rem 870 express super mag 3.5 and i shoot 1625 fps 3.5 #2's xpert HV. but im super pumped to try out my fox this year with some of the new ammo coming out "bismax" or some hevi shot CD #6's

eddie

Richie
2 3/4 shells work fine for ducks.
Find some steel threes and let um fly with a mod choke in it. You will not have a problem.

A Browning A5. Any of them. Usually it's my mag 12, but even the 16s and 20's are fun at times in their scenarios. I started on a 20ga Fox SxS, and I still have it. I like doubles, but my A5s have just kept on retiring every other modern gun I have hunted with in the last 10 years.....because they're built better and always shoot.LOL

It's now a Benelli SBE II with Patternmaster choke. Replace an 835 Mossburg that is now fitted with a rifle bore for sabots. I have been impressed with how this gun handles since day one. For pheas, quail, grouse, I have 12ga 2.75" chamber choices from Spanish made ZH SxS, Laurona O/U, and a Belgium Browning Light 12. Looking to pick up the Benelli light 20ga next. A 16ga SxS would be fun to have too.

Went to the patterning board with the SBEII. Kent 3.5" #2, 1600fps look real good. Tested at 15, 25, 30 and 40 yds. Had Federal 3.5" BBB that patterned well at 40 yds too. Tested the short range because I was curious about what the aim point was and how the pattern really looked. That was interesting. Inside of 25 the pattern was a little better with the PM compared to a mod choke with #4 or larger shot. With the Hevishot #6 or Rem HD #4 or #6, I'd go with an IC or mod for decoying birds.

Sure, I 'd like to see your load Eric. I have almost 200 loaded up right now with a load that worked great last year...if they weren't too close for the pattern to open up.
I'm one of those multiple gun guys. but if I had to name my favorie it My FABARM Ultramag lion3.5 o/u Ishhot it well and I love the way an o/u swings also It keeps me from pissing away a 3rd shell at the shell limited draw hunts around here. I've rarely needed the 3rd shell. Lee I fooled around with heavy shot loads for my red label 28 for a while let me know if you wan't the Data. my favorite used a cheddite or federal hul and longshot powder, I'd have to look it up but I'd be happy to share.

I love the classic feel of a SxS. I use a Beretta 626 Onyx SxS. I usually can call ducks in close enough that I can knock them down with popcorn kernels. So I'm happy with any steel shot in the 1 to 3 shot size.

For all practical purposes, I'm a pump guy. 870 and model 12. But I've had the good fortune to shoot a Win model 21 heavy duck w/ 30" barrels, and that is my favorite waterfowl gun. Once this economy really tanks and the gun market goes with it, I should be able to acquire one of my own!

NR

"Walmart" Berretta 390 12 gauge, plain jane, flat black synthetic. Shoots great, great price and has worked every time I pulled the trigger. Except when I put shells in the magazine backwards but that is another story.
I've shot Estate 3" 1 1/4 oz #4s for the last 8 years. Love them.
I have a case of Rio 3" 1 1/4 oz #3s that I have shot one box out of & they worked great too. Good shells for the $$ if you can find them.

For the past 20+ years it's been a Browning BPS for me. Been a perfect gun for me until about 2 years ago, when it started to jam on me. Took it all apart, cleaned her up and been fine ever since.

I'm not picky about the shells from a manufacturer perspective, except I refuse to shoot Winchester. Personal opinion is that they are a dirty load. At the beginning of the season I shoot 3" 4's. Toward the end, I switch to 3" #2's.

Anybody shooting a Beretta Xtrema 2?? Heard some nice things about that gun...

Back