tdb 14ft sea class question?

I have a 1998 14 ft seaclass tdb, I have a 25 hp on it and its too small of a motor for it looking into getting a tohatsu 40hp for it,any of you guys around here have any experience with this boat and recommend a motor size for it,one of the local guys around my way has a 60hp on his but hes never around to talk to,any ideas what kind of weight the transom can hold the older 40 hp tohatsu were 152 lbs and the newer tldi 40s are 205 lbs ,just so you guys know what kind of weight i push im 250 my friend is 300 and my dog is 90 dont forget grass,decoys,heater,guns ,waders,gas ,battery,ammo and whaterver else we cram in there

I was thinking it was 25 as well..... but I looked on there site...but the new ones are 40... I wonder what they did to up the rating....

If its older it was designed for motors that were 2 stroke and weighed way less than todays 4 strokers. I would call the OEM and get their take on it. The new two stroke motors are lighter than the 4 but you are limited to one brand. I like them a lot, but your local dealer is the most important part of a motor choice.
Plenty of guys have loaded small boats up with way too big motors. But it is not safer as many claim. And duck hunting is not a race like bass fishing, esp in the dark.

Dont know about your neck of the woods but down here, if the tag says 25 and you stick a 40 on it, and you get checked, you're gonna get a ticket.
And sooner or later, you're gonna get checked.

im going to call the company since the new ones are rated at 40 and mine is 25 to find out what the difference is,im not looking to make it a speedboat but with the 25 its hard to get it up on plane,that was without a dog,grass and decoys me and my buddy were wondering what its gonna be like in the winter with wet grass and all the other stuff i mentioned,i can always drop down the pitch of the prop and it might help get it up ,but there will not be a top end either and it was designed as a planeing hull

Hmm, I just picked up one (are you sure it's a '98, mine's a '99 and supposedly one of the first built, and doesn't even show up on NADA). Anyway, I don't know what my prop's pitch is, but with the 25 Mariner that's on it, with me (240#) at the tiller, my lady up front, and two labs, we planed without too much trouble and once we got up I had to back off on the throttle, lest we get wet. Time will tell once I load all the dekes and other paraphenalia, but for now I think I've got plenty of power with the 25.

Now, what to do with the rain roof designed for the gunner to sit on the floor is my next project.

Jim

jimg checked mine is a 99 also,running the 25 with just me couldnt even get it on plane and with my buddy he had to lean over the front to get it on plane was thinking there was something wrong with my motor but checked compression on it and had 152 one cylinder and 162 on the other,maybe the prop check your pitch out and let me know
thanks

Is your motor tilt pin in the hole closest to the boat? That helps to push the nose down. I also have two river anchors stored up in the bow. That's got to be around 30# extra up front. I wish I could help on the prop pitch, but I as yet have not been able to xref the part number on it.

Is your prop in good condition? Has is got a bunch of grounding marks on it?
It sounds like you may not be getting all the power out of the motor.

prop is brand new stainless solas stock 13 pitch,as well as i added a pt35 power tilt and trim unit,maybe u guys are right with not getting all the power out of the motor,it seems to run well,i tuned it up with new plugs new impellor new lower unit oil and when the boat did plane ran very well also like i said checked compression and it was high maybe timing could be off but runs real good ,,,im stumped

Sounds OK mike. A tach is necessary to make sure you are turning up but the easy things have been done. A call to the OEM may be your best bet.

With my 25 Mariner on my BB2, I had to go to an 11 pitch. 13 pitch is too steep to allow the revs to get up in the power band. I evern had a 9.5 pitch that I used with excessive loads.

im probably gonna have to start playing the propellor game,was looking at it tonight and thinking that i need to get the revs up quicker to get it out of the hole and on plane,by the way called the arthur armstrong people the maker of tdb now and never spoke to more obnoxious people in my hole life because i didnt by the boat from them they were not interestead in talking to me but if i needed a replacement blind or something they would be happy to take my money no problem

Back