TDB 17 Questions

dward

I am seriously considering one of these for my next boat,and I'm beginning the search.
I am leaning towards a maine built Sea Class,but would like hear your input/opinions...
Sea Class vs. Classic?Maine built vs. newer?What is a fair price for a used boat,motor and trailer package[in good condition] in todays market?
Let me know what you think.
Thanks,

I have heard alot of good things with the maine built boats and no good reports on the boats made in kentucky.I have seen them selling in the range of $8000. to $12000 hope the info helps

If your going to hunt big water go with the sea class. I think the Maine built, Kentucky built comparison is all hype. I had a 2003 and my buddy has a 1999, I liked my boat better. I sold mine to go bigger and that's the only reason. I sold mine for 11,500 with a 60 HP Yamaha 4 store. The customer service is not very good now and I heard it was awesome when they were built in Maine. If you buy a used boat it more than likely will not have any warranty left anyway. Good Luck

I have a Maine built 17 foot TDB. I just got it this year and have been hunting in long island sound with it. I like the boat but want something much bigger and Aluminum. So if you are still looking email me @ chbiddle10@aol.com. I will be getting rid of it at the end of the season. Package is boat motor and trailer and all canvas . All in good condition. I can send a few pictures if you want.

Since you are still "searching" I would take a hard look at the Bankes "Freedom". It is the same size as the seaclass 17. It rides MUCH dryer and nicer as I have spent alot of hours in both, plus the customer service is second to none.

Thanks all,
Your input is appreciated.A couple more questions;
For those you who don't like the quality of the newer hulls,can you give me specifics?Wouldn't they be all compsite w/o wood?Aren't they all hand laid like the Maine botas were?As for costomer service i have been less than impressed with the call takers in Kentucky.
Also how well do these boats manuever and hide in the marsh?I've read they draft 9'' which seems like alot for a hull this wide.
Thanks and Merry Christmas.
Charles PM me your info and I'll get in touch.

Last edited:
I hunt a lot out of a Kentucky built 17' Sea Class. I love the boat, and for us, it has always been a dry ride. The boat is well made for sure. If you are going to order one you better do it now to have it for next duck season. I think they are built as ordered, so it takes quite a while. Worth the wait though!

Kino,
Good call on the Bankes Freedom,a nice rig that drafts only 5-6''. I think finding a used one at a fair price could be a problem.
Do you know of any?

Kino,
Good call on the Bankes Freedom,a nice rig that drafts only 5-6''. I think finding a used one at a fair price could be a problem.
Do you know of any?

I live about 3 1/2 hours from the TDB factory. There are quite a few TDB's in my area both old and new. Almost everyone I talk to that has had a boat from TDB/Phoenix Poke Boats/Arthur Armstong (all the same company) has not had good customer service. I myself own 2 pokeboats from them and used to own an Arthur Armstrong "Blackjack". I can say first hand that their customer service stinks along with their quality control. If it was not for a solid design on some of their products, I truly feel they would not be in business. All this alone would be enough to sway me from them. As for comparing the 17 Seaclass to a Bankes Freedom, is really not even close. The Bankes is handsdown superior in fit and fininsh, quality, and ride. Like I said, I have spent alot of hours in both so I can give you an honest assessment of both. If it was not a Freedom look at Duckwater as they have a good product and solid rep as well. Good luck and post some pics! BTW, I don't know of a used Freedom but will keep my eyes open.

Last edited:
Are you looking for new or used? If new I would look hard at the Bankes, at about 3K less (according to the current website prices). I have hunted out of a 17 TDB many times now, safe and secure for sure. However I know of a couple bankes owners that swear by them as being as good or better to TDB. One guy owns a 14 TDB and a 17 Bankes. I have read and seen a lot of complaints about TDB and almost none on Bankes.

If I had the money today to buy either it would be the Bankes. The hull looks to have a deeper V giving a better ride in waves. That is one of the complaints I hear about and have been in with a TDB is splash in heavy waves. The guys I know with TDB's love the platform to hunt with, but all have complaints with the ride.

Last edited:
Dave, you my friend, are EXACTLY right. The little difference in hull design is why the Bankes is superior in rough water. I would think that whomever is buying this style boat will have it in nasty water so why spear waves when you can ride over them and be DRY! While at rest, the stability is the same on both-rock solid, but you still have to get from point a to b!

I have a Maine built 17 foot TDB. I just got it this year and have been hunting in long island sound with it. I like the boat but want something much bigger and Aluminum. So if you are still looking email me @ chbiddle10@aol.com. I will be getting rid of it at the end of the season. Package is boat motor and trailer and all canvas . All in good condition. I can send a few pictures if you want.

You need on of these.

IMG_1133.jpg

It's a Duck Water 21' Ocean with a 200 HP Suzuki. I think my old TDB 17 would fit in the cockpit of this boat. I've got 54 super mag Scoter decoys and about 30 Old Squaw decoys on the shelves, with room to spare.
IMG_1203.jpg

Lockable gun box

IMG_1198.jpg

Hunts 5. 1 behind console 4 in front.

IMG_1196.jpg

I looked at Duckwater boats before I got this TDB. Boy are they nice. But they are not cheap and a used boat is hard to find. I am pretty new to duck hunting and this is my first season that I have done ok.
Is the grey paint job for the open water and sea ducks? Do you hunt with the canvas up are you hunting with the boat as is?
My TDB is tan, brown and black. It doesn't always fit in with some of the areas that we have here in Western Long Island sound I was thinking about painting it. Any suggestions? I am looking to get rid of the TDB at the end of the season and build an aluminum boat for next year.

I have a duckwater 17 foot stealth fighter with the pods and it is a very seaworthy craft.... it was a prototype, and there are some things I'd have asked for to be different if I'd known better.

The electrical on it needs some tlc, the connections are wrapped in electrical tape and not hardly good enough for the salt water conditions,

The electrical panel is not the right for the wet conditions, and as such, several of the toggles are pooped out.

there were no anodes on it for corrosion prevention, and it needs some sort of apparatus to allow me to rig up and alternate emergency kicker motor.

I put on a 60 hp prop with a cnc hydraulic jack plate and it was a good investment.

I would have got one with a clear cockpit (instead of a storage chest seat on one side).. I'd be able to have more room for gear and could sit on buckets with padded tops.

It blends in pretty well for divers, Lots of times we can hunt out of it without even putting up the blind (for divers).

It is a large craft.. It is rare that I feel I am in over my head out on the Columbia river or puget sound, and over all I am happy with the purchase except for the few electrical issues.

I could drop it off the empire state building and it would probably not sustain any lethal damage.

It is a battering ram of a boat, and as such, fitting to my ability as a pilot.
the blind is of good quality.

Te Banks is not Aluminum is it? In NY where I hunt we have a 7-9 foot tide so banging up against the rocks is part of hunting. In my TDB when the tide starts to move out I have to adjust the boat every 20 to 30 min so I am not against the rocks. That is why I am looking for a aluminum boat. I like the TDB and would keep it if it was just a little bigger.

I looked at Duckwater boats before I got this TDB. Boy are they nice. But they are not cheap and a used boat is hard to find. I am pretty new to duck hunting and this is my first season that I have done ok.
Is the grey paint job for the open water and sea ducks? Do you hunt with the canvas up are you hunting with the boat as is?
My TDB is tan, brown and black. It doesn't always fit in with some of the areas that we have here in Western Long Island sound I was thinking about painting it. Any suggestions? I am looking to get rid of the TDB at the end of the season and build an aluminum boat for next year.

I hunt open water 95% of the time so I went with the grey. We hunt with the blind up when needed it just depends on the situation. I have had several people tell me after hunting out of my boat, that they have never been that comfortable while duck hunting. I love the seats in this boat. I'm old enough that I like comfort. My days of sitting on buckets is over.

The Duck Water is built like a tank. I wouldn't have tried this with my TDB, and yes this was on purpose.
IMG_1129.jpg

I have not had any electrical issues. You might want to give Steve at Duck Water a call he normally knows of some used boats for sale.

Nice looking boat Brad

Last edited:
Back