Ted Nugent

Who else steps up and speaks on our behalf? Is he perfect... doubtful at best... Am I glad he has the guts to speak his piece and fight on? You bet I am!

I like his music, never watched his show, and respect that he says what he feels is correct to support his/our rights to own guns and hunt. I own many black guns and I don't feel like they are much different than some of the firearms that are common in the field. They do have their place and I don't believe anything should be fully auto or have a 20 or 30 round clip to take game. I don't even take the plug out of my shotgun when it's legal. As far as Ted's comments, yes, he does get a little in your face and there are things that he says that I don't agree with. On the other hand, it always seems that the anti-gun/hunter group can say what ever they want, whenever they want and never have to back anything up with facts. So many times I have watched the media shove the "assault weapon" garbage onto the air following a shooting when an assault weapon was nowhere near the incident. Another thing I will mention is that Ted seems to "fight fire with fire" when it comes to dealing with the "antis". Look at our sport from an outsiders perspective. Camo face paint, stupid slogans on barrels that say "Meat Stick", Qwacker Whacker", "Bone Collector"................hunting videos that play ridiculous hard rock music to accompany a pheasant hunt, a bow shot on a deer, or geese raining down after a close pass by hidden hunters. The music pounding out "let the bodies hit the floor" doesn't quite help our cause. The videos are produced by companies named "Blood Limit", "Wicked Racks", "Cutting Edge" which all have a dark and impending doom sound to them. Then you have the duck calls with names like "Finisher", Pure Meat", "Cut down" and a million others. I cringe every time someone likens me to Duck Dynasty just because I hunt ducks. I don't watch the show and could care less what they are providing as "entertainment" to the masses. I'm meeting more and more people in the field that have no morals, ethics, common sense, upbringing, manners, decency, or legal bone in their body. And if these are the people who are going top be showing the "antis" or those "still on the fence".....I will take Ted's message until a better spokesman/woman comes along. Tell me, if Ted gets shutdown.......who speaks up for us? Who takes his place?

It's too bad that a "mouthpiece" for defending our right to be hunters has to be either a performer or sports figure. But, I surmise this is just how life is in this new and young millennium. I've never understood why it is that people like "Uncle Ted" can't just take their millions and fade away into oblivion. To me, Nugent is just another aging rock star who refuses to just give it up. But then, I never (and thankfully) never attained any level of notoriety...

Worth,

I'm in total agreement. In my humble opinion, life is to short to hunt with an ugly gun. Oh, and make mine a double, side by side or stack barrel. And this is from a guy who constantly has to indure sitting in a boat(s) with ugly guns on all sides. As I have stated, my everyday duck gun is a Citori Satin Hunter. The last hunt of the season a friend of Eric's, Brandon, handed me his Citori with a Mossy Oak Duck Blind camoflage. Now I'm sure Brandon and I will become friends as he is an ethical hunter and a good guy, but ..... we had swapped guns to look at each others and some Redheads came in. I was alomost forced to take a shot at a duck with the monstrocity in my hands, again, almost.

As for Ted Nugent. I for the most part agree with his politics, the message but not his spoken word. As for questioning his ethics? How can you question them when he hasn't any? I will admit that in the mid/late '70's' Ted's music was a huge part of my 3:00 AM music repertoire mostly whilst driving to the duck marsh. Many miles of driving listening to Stranglehold, Hey Baby, Snakeskin Cowboys, etc. But my musical tastes have progressed and Ted's musical career has not. Sure the old songs are good and will stand the candle of time even if's Nugent's musical candle has been snuffed out. To me, Ted Nugent is the musical equivalent of a surfer who once rode a 10 foot wave but instead of bailing out when it collapsed, is know riding it's one foot remnant and pumping hell out of his board trying to make it to shore.

Since there is a general consensus regarding Ted Nugent, I want to touch on the topic of ‘ugly guns’. I don’t want to step on anyone’s toes so if I take something out of context, call me on it I have thick skin.
Gun’s of any kind in my opinion are tools and I have used them as such beginning in the Army. Now I no longer hunt people, I hunt ducks and I still consider my gun’s as tools . Handguns are tools too, but back again for the two legged varmint that wants to come into my home. I am not an expert hunter and would never pretend to be, it’s a life long journey and I learn something new every season. I can only draw from my personal experiences when it comes to firearms. I do have a set of guide lines I go by that have been engrained in me. Is the gun reliable? Is it accurate? How does it hold up to under ‘extreme’ conditions? Is the weapon simple to use and clean? Then of course there are those ‘personal’ preferences we all have. For example, I will not buy a weapon not made in the United States. I have my own brand I’m loyal too; we all have these personal ticks. But, the idea of an ugly gun is a strange concept to me on many different levels. I have to admit having to look up a Citori Satin Hunter, never heard of it. Yes and yes, it is a beautiful shotgun! Would I ever use one in the field? No. If you have an option to buy a shotgun to be used for ‘waterfowl’ hunting and you have the choice between a non-dipped, Citori Satin Hunter or dipped, Citori Satin Hunter, common since tells me to buy the one that is better protected in extreme environments and that you don’t have to worry about scratching up or fighting rust if you miss a spot. In this example, the guns shoot the same and the waterfowl version is generally lighter as a rule. Till a year ago I used a Remington 870 Magnum Express for all my hunting. I did not like using it for waterfowl hunting to be honest. Not because it’s a bad gun, but because it has to be cleaned as soon as possible or you get rust. I finial bought my first simi-auto with that ‘ugly’ camo dip and I love it. If, conversely you can afford to buy all kinds of shotguns then I would suppose ones opinion of what is ugly and what is not ugly may vary. Additional, I’m an attention to detail guy and I don’t care for the shininess the good looking guns put off. But then again I haven’t been extorted into becoming a member of those fancy expensive duck clubs so I need every advantage I can get and cover and concealment is a big part of duck hunting for me. Lastly I have to pick a gun that I assume, going into it, that will have to last me a life time so I want something tried true and tested, which also means having the protection package in the case of duck hunting, a camo dip or a black dip due to water and environment. I know I’ll never own one of those beautiful shiny shotguns so I need to know the one I do have will hold up and take abuse. I don’t find dipped guns ugly at all anymore than I would consider an M4 or M16 ugly. I consider them tools to be used as such. With respect, when I read commits saying one guys gun is ugly or a monstrosity (the same kind of gun mind you), it comes off as ‘you’ and your gun are ‘better’ than someone else’s because…? Maybe that’s not the implication, but that’s how I would take it.

Actually old people are a lot more understanding to the foibles of youth since we have lived (survived) through it. Bitter, no- sad yes sometimes. Be very careful about judging people. Pump guns, plastic decoys and country/ early (old) rock and roll. Go ahead and judge! Oh yes I forgot, Labs as long as they are yellow

I feel the people that represent us the best are the Sporting painters/artists, and writers. They tell the story, the lifestyle, of who we are, with their mind, not their mouth. We just lost a Great one, David Hagerbaumer...

Actually old people are a lot more understanding to the foibles of youth since we have lived (survived) through it. Bitter, no- sad yes sometimes. Be very careful about judging people. Pump guns, plastic decoys and country/ early (old) rock and roll. Go ahead and judge! Oh yes I forgot, Labs as long as they are yellow

Yes, grown-ups sure have lots of opinions!

T

I won't comment too much on Ted, I don't know him, just of him. I can say, I don't care for most of his music, but like most famous musician's they still usually have at least one good song. As far as being a spokeman, or sportsman, he seem's very loud to me, and seem's to be "around the bend", explaining how magical killing and eating your kill is. I just wasn't raised that way, we just killed our cattle, sheep, pigs, and wild game and ate them. Sure we were thankful, and felt something in taking a life but we don't dwell on it. It was just life. But I don't know. Hard for me to judge a mask. If he broke law's then hopefully justice was served and he learned. If not it will catch up. I think my biggest problem with Ted is that he intentially comes off as ignorant when he spout's off on politics. He seem's to intentially try to give the impression of being a "red-neck". Not, a lot of actual leader's are "red-necks". I doubt I'd be a very successful anything if I acted like or tried to convince everyone I was a "red-neck." Possibly, he is smart and it's part of playing the "red-neck", which is a mask. I just don't care for it. Most of all he's loud, and I don't care much for loud people. Loud music sure... sometimes,...just not loud, in your face, people. And don't forget Ted is paid to act that way...all the way around.

I must confess I do have a "black rifle." I felt bad when Mr. Zumbo got caught up in his opinion. Mr. Zumbo has been out to our ranch and is a good friend with my Dad. My dad came back with auto-graphed letter from "Madonna" to me in the late 80's and I almost wet my pants...wrong Madonna he-he. Folk's tore Zumbo to piece's. I never asked Jim what he really thinks now, it doesn't matter. Everyone should get a opinion free and clear. A county commish buddy of mine is going through the samething right now. He talked about his dislike for "black-rifles" even though his ranch rig has a 10/22 in it. It's a fine line. But opinion's are opinion's and I try to understand and respect everyone's point of view, even if I disagree. And I do change my mind if presented a good reason for such.

Anyway..... I trained with and carried one for over twenty years, so it's kinda a friend now. I was gifted one by my family as a retirement present. Now it's sort of like pulling on my socks. I don't think about it much. On the ranch I carry it daily, and probably use it weekly. I took a nice three point buck with it one year, and now that it's calving season it's defending my babies. Clear out here in the stick's and the threat of home invasion a very real issue it's conforting. When you've spent year's being trained to defend yourself, clear compartments, re-load with precision it's conforting. Dad carries a bolt action of the same caliber as mine in his rig. I carry my AR in mine. Having a rifle you trained for year's with, you point naturally with, and can field strip in the dark is nice. The scope I put on it is fast, I can walk out on my porch and wack my 350 yard gong at will, and do. Two step's out my front door, and *bang* then "wack." I do it quite often, just because I can. It's a little smaller than coyote size gong, so for me, and I do, walk out my door and bang just to keep the edge. Coyotes, and the wolf threat now, it's confidence building. I can defend my own. I felt better approaching the antelope poacher, as well as the scrap metal thieves tearing apart my barn. Our LE can be hours away. The rifle was kept from sight, but knowing it was there made me breath easier. It is small, nimble, and light. When I"m deer hunting and my knee's start hurting I switch from my heavy .270 to my AR. Those four pounds make a difference. Even my local deputies, and troopers commented that it was nice to know I could throw them a magazine if it went fur-ball. And this has happened before with rancher's backing LEO's. Most of our troopers are three hours from "back-up." Now bare in mind this came from years of working with them, going to school with them, and lately we've worked together here on the ranch. Most of our deputies now are ranch kids that I graduated High School with and still sell their ranches cattle. Small town ranch life. That being said it's just a good tool, I need and use.

I dont' wear mar/cam, or tactical stuff. I'm a flannel, 501's, Filson, Marbles hunting knife, sort'a a guy.

Firearm's are simply just tool's for me, I like to get the best one's I can for the job at hand.

Another confession...my crew bought me a 12 Gauge SXS for retirement. It's stock is engraved in my Surfman Check, and the year's I served, and has the Surfman pin laser etched all over it. But my pride and joy is my Savage/Fox 20 gauge SxS my dad gave me when I was thirteen. She's all I used over my new pup so far. I never gave much thought to my gun's, for some reason? I have most likely too many, but they all have a real place. I've gotten rid of guns that tried to be "safe-queen's". Well my black powder SxS I've yet to "touch off" but someday...I'm wanted more wood dekes for her to roar.

How's that for a two-fer for retirement? AR from the fam, and a SXS from the crew...-Seth

Last edited:
Hi Worth -

I agree with you as apparently do most others on this post. In terms of who I would like to speak for me, were he still with us, I would take Gene Hill.

sarge

Back