Ted williams 7.5 and 5.5

chris k

does anyone have any info on these motors just found two that have been stashed away in a basement for 20 year things look good i just am not familiar with them. im going to pick up the set for 225$. i know they are older and may need work but im trying to find out if they are good motors or are crap. after a quick search on bing they seem okay. let me know what you think or if you have any expierence with them

I have had a few. Most are basically Tecumseh two stroke lawn mower engines sitting on top of an outboard lower unit. No water pumps to have to worry about which is very nice. Most of the parts can still be ordered on Sear's website as well. The few that I have had, once I found a good small engine guy to get them tuned up properly, ran very well. They are extremely loud though. Good luck.

Bailey is correct these were made by Eska using a Temusch power head and are air cooled (hence loud) with a water cooled exhaust. These motors are very common but not very desirable and parts are available. There are numerous net forums discussing these motors and offering parts. In my opinion $225 may be too much.
Good Luck

Personally I would stay away from them. Yes they may be Tecumseh powerheads but Tec has been out of business for several years now. Parts will be the trouble. Also they didn't idle worth a hoot. Now if they are liquid cooled the story even gets worse. Just my $.02 keep looking

Last edited:
Back