The Bird that Made the Season

jon

Living in the Pacific Northwest, I always considered myself lucky to be able to hunt a variety of species of waterfowl... ducks and geese alike. I grew up hunting with my father, and even to this day, he is my tried and true hunting partner. It is a rare day when one of us can be found hunting without the other.

At some point in my waterfowling past, I made it a personal goal of mine to harvest every species of duck and goose that is possible in my home state of Oregon. Not many states offer the possibility of so many duck species.

Somehow I got it in my mind that accomplishing this goal would be the true mark of a Northwest wingshooter.

I know many have heard of the Northwest 27... and naturally this was the "duck" list I used when I originally set my sights on the goal. Obviously there are quite a few species on the list that came relatively easy, but there were several others that required quite a bit of scouting and persistence. One by one, year by year, I checked them off... and slowly crept closer to hitting the mark.

At a just shade over 30 years old, I had taken the all the species of geese and only had two ducks remaining on the list. The only problem is that in all my days afield, I had never actually seen either of these two species of duck during the hunting season.

About a week ago, on an absolutely beautiful January day on the Oregon coast, I finally happened upon a duck I had been searching for. With both the sun and wind at my back, I knew what it was immediately, and without any hesitation, one shot put it down on the water before me. Of course... my father was at my side.

53AFEB8E-05C6-47BC-A08C-AB45DFE315C4_zpsqt2takne.jpg
[/URL]

For some reason, this duck has a special significance in my quest. For the very first time, I can actually see the finish line. I truly believe that accomplishing my goal is a distinct possibility. The blue-wing teal is my final target, and I know it may take years to find… let alone kill. While I look forward to the day that happens… at least for now I can relish in success… the bird that make the season!

Oregon Duck and Goose List

Mallard
Northern Pintail
Gadwall
American Widgeon
Eurasian Widgeon
Wood Duck
Blue-Winged Teal
Green-Winged Teal
Cinnamon Teal
Northern Shoveler
Canvasback
Redhead
Lesser Scaup
Greater Scaup
Ring-Necked Duck
Common Goldeneye
Barrow's Goldeneye
Bufflehead
Ruddy Duck
Common Merganser
Red-Breasted Merganser
Hooded Merganser
White-Winged Scoter
Surf Scoter
Black Scoter
Oldsquaw
Harlequin

Canada Goose
Cackling Goose
Snow Goose
Greater White-Fronted Goose
Ross Goose
Brant

Wow that is some diversity in your flyway. While I am still captured by the taking of a new specie, a shovelor for me this year and very rare in my area, I still cherish and prefer to chase the one bird that brings the captures waterfowling in these parts more than any other-the black duck.

What a great list. Oregon's coast brought this amateur several firsts as well: northern shoveler, canvasback, widgeon, and pintail, just not birds I saw growing up very often in the places I hunted in Michigan. Not to mention ten foot tides and 5 foot a second currents, but with the finest scenery for a duck hunting background ever. Now that I am in a new locale I look forward to firsts here in TX, such as the double on redheads I had last weekend!

As a native Oregonion , I agree we are lucky in the amount of birds we have , I salute you for your goals and for what it represents as a sportsman, I only wish that there was more like you hunting,

Congrats Jon on almost achieving your quest. Very cool. Be sure to report back when that teal is downed OK?

Mark W

Jon~

Congratulations!

You Left Coast guys have a few on us - Barrows and Harlequins here are rare and fully protected. Ross', Cinnamon, White-front are pretty much accidental. Eurasian Wigeon is a bit more common but I've never had one in the rig (except for a banded hen we once got in the rocket net). And, until your post, I had not realized that Eiders tend to stay much further north in the Pacific than they do in the Artlantic.

All the best to you and your Dad,

SJS

Thanks for the replies gentlemen! ..and thanks for the kind word Steve T.

MarkW... surely I will. Understand that it might be quite a while. I truly believe this is the toughest bird to find in Oregon during a hunting season. A few pair will show up during the spring breeding season, just not early enough to make them count.

SS... I have seen one Eider in Oregon, a beautiful hen. Surely I would have died (literally) if an attempt was made to pursue that bird.

...and as for Eurasian W... Wow they are becoming common out here. I have shot several and see one nearly every time I glass a flock of 300 plus American Widgeon. Maybe you need to make a trip out here to visit!!

Last edited:
Back