The light at the end of the tunnel pt1 a 6 week adventure story

Many of the trucks are decorated with an almost psychedelic paint scheme

Seeing that truck - I picture the sound of the grateful dead blaring and smoke rollin' out the windows.... LOL :)

What an adventure you are having and I'm glad you are sharing it here, so i can tag along.

Stay Safe

Sorry for the break in the reports,

Me and Anya went up to Chaing Mai, and I got pretty sick with a fever and chills and aches.

I was laid up for a couple of days and am finally feeling better. Anya took good care of me and kept my fever at bay as much as she could with cold wash cloths.

We were able to secure a Motorbike and I bought a compass at the drug store, so that was all we needed to get our first love letter from the Local police.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/seaduck/12609452383/]DSC_5262 by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/seaduck/]Duncan Tennyson, on Flickr

We drove way up to Doi Suthep (A mountain Temple) and went through a Hmong Village.

The Hmong used to grow Opium as their cash crop, now they are trying to grow other things and tap into the tourist economy.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/seaduck/12586747335/]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/seaduck/12586747335/]DSC_5148 by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/seaduck/]Duncan Tennyson, on Flickr

We encountered some growing up on the hillside near the village.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/seaduck/12586751225/]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/seaduck/12586751225/]DSC_5146 by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/seaduck/]Duncan Tennyson, on Flickr

Watch out for the purple ones.. they are very strong.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/seaduck/12587189424/]

DSC_5147 by Duncan Tennyson, on Flickr

Hmong are hunters and one of them let me shoot his crossbow.

He didn't know that I have practice on Rt to left crosses on pairs of Chukar and Huns at 60 yards, in a driving snow
with a bad crosswind etc.

Putting a couple of arrows into a melon hung on a string was a cinch.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/seaduck/12586881553/]DSC_5132 by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/seaduck/]Duncan Tennyson, on Flickr

He was surprised that I could do it!

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/seaduck/12586888033/]

DSC_5128 by Duncan Tennyson, on Flickr

The locals also sell some of their traditional clothing, lots of it festooned with coins.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/seaduck/12586731975/]DSC_5160 by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/seaduck/]Duncan Tennyson, on Flickr

Last edited:
There were other plants growing nearby which are very toxic. I saw some Scopalomine... (Devils Trumpet) and smelled others on the nearby hillside.... I wasn't about to monkey around in their woods though.

DSC_5137 by Duncan Tennyson, on Flickr

DSC_5152 by Duncan Tennyson, on Flickr

They have some examples of the poisonous critters that they stuck in bottles with Ethanol.

I wouldn't want to have to crawl through the brush around here. Viper could tag you and you'd really get sick.

DSC_5155 by Duncan Tennyson, on Flickr

They have some giant centipedes, I do not know how they got them into these bottles though.

DSC_5154 by Duncan Tennyson, on Flickr

Yikes, that viper looks like something I would never want to see. Todd a ways back in the pictures you had one where you were in an outdoors type restaurant having lunch. Heck the table looked like some sort of duckboat that they just converted.

I sure enjoyed these photos. That was one gorgeous jungle bird that you photographed. Most importantly it was good to know that Anya and the others were all safe.

Thanks for doing all of this, Todd.
Al

Thanks Al, It was a regular river boat that the folks paddle around in these parts.
Everything is food here...

Anya and I drove along the Ping river through Chaing Mai yesterday. We were on a moped... did 200km on it, which might seem like a short run compared to a car...

Folks forget that the short distance between the wheels on these little bikes which makes them very maneuverable at speeds under 45 km, make them a jittery and jarring ride when riding 2 up at 80- 90 kmph

We still had a good time, and i'd do it again tomorrow.

Or at least as soon as the rt side of my neck and face and arm heal from the sunburn they got....

I figured the little Cherokee heritage I have would be helpful in the sunshine,
Turns out that the Scot/Irishman underneath got burned regardless of a few weeks to brown up.

Todd
Many thanks for your continuing travelog. The river Kwai bridge and the cemetary brought the war back.
wis boz

The one thing about wars I know...
There's too damned many of them.

I wanted to honor those folks by being there at least. For a moment.
They'll be up in those god forsaken hills forever.

Hopefully, their spirits will find rest and peace.

we decided to visit the Zoo, since they admitted folks for free if they had their NOK Air bookings handy, so we checked it out.

DSC_5257 by Duncan Tennyson, on Flickr

Was surprised how vocal these flamingoes were, They sounded like a bunch of geese.

Maybe Dani has some of these in her rig... you know, as confidence deeks.

DSC_5254 by Duncan Tennyson, on Flickr

This elephant was not in a friendly mood. He picked up a large stone and threw it into the water near me and Anya and it splashed us.

Can't say I'd be in a real good mood either if I had to look at the world from inside an enclosure.

We decided to head North, and up the Ping River valley to a place called Chaing Dao, along the Way was Mae Sa Waterfowl and rice fields.

I mentioned how the Moped is the workhorse of this country, but they suck at highway speed because they have such a short wheelbase.

Anya asked me, "How fast are we going" I said "as fast as this little fucker will go"

P1040017 by Duncan Tennyson, on Flickr

In Thailand, you can used the far left margin and go slower, but then you risk having a car nail you as it exits the highway. (The offramps are on the left)

Me and Anya are back home in Samut Sakhon for a couple days before heading to Ko Chaing for some more beach exploration.

The dog situation here is getting out of control.

There is one particular dog that has a specific bark that I could pick out of a crowd.

His M.O. is to wait until about 0300hrs and then come and bark all around his turf.
This sets off all the other dogs and they begin a chorus of barking for about an hour or so.

I brought my wristricket with me, and have a bit of camo gear and a red headlamp.

Tonight I may sting that dog in the ass with a stone from my wristrocket and chase him away from this area.

I got to get some sleep.

I don't want to hurt him, but I want him to associate this property with pain.

Anyaway,

Last night we hit the market up the street for some fried chicken and other vittles.

The thing that really grabs me about the people here, is that no one is rich.
But most folks will smile and laugh and seem to be happy.

it kind of rubs off after a while, and even a mean old man like me starts to lighten up a skosh.

DSC_4816 by Duncan Tennyson, on Flickr

DSC_4822 by Duncan Tennyson, on Flickr

DSC_4829 by Duncan Tennyson, on Flickr

DSC_4831 by Duncan Tennyson, on Flickr

DSC_4835 by Duncan Tennyson, on Flickr

if you are looking at these photos and your mouth is not watering,

Then you need medical attention.

DSC_4837 by Duncan Tennyson, on Flickr

DSC_4842 by Duncan Tennyson, on Flickr

DSC_4846 by Duncan Tennyson, on Flickr

This guy said, we'll give these fish an hour to sell, if they do not sell, then we'll put them back in the river for next time.

They really do live that long high and dry... I was surprised, but saw it with my own two eyes.

DSC_4846 by Duncan Tennyson, on Flickr

Today I got up and went for a walk up to the big temple and the boat slips. It is only a quarter of a mile from anyas place (upriver).
Met a guy named "Keyt" ... He is an engineer here for a stint to work on the new temple. He spoke English and was a nice guy.

We sat at the padgoda on the rivers edge and watched the shipbuilders weld on the ships, and the ferries dropping people off every 15 minutes.

then a family came to our shaded spot on the river and We said hello... they had a couple of finches in a very small cage and prayed for them.

They handed the cage to me to pray.

I looked at the little birds and said "this is your big chance, be free and stay free"

Then they set the birds loose.

they flew out over the river and sang and circled back to land at the temple.

Last edited:
Yep, my mouth has been watering for sure. Thanks again for taking us along. I keep refering in my own mind to an old saying, "Siam - the land of smiles".

Question: I haven't seen any evidence that you are concerned with personal security. From my own travels I know that you don't escape common street crime anywhere, in the US or in foreign countries. How would you rate personal security issues in Thailand vs back home in Oregon or anywhere else in the US?

Pete, I can not say that my personal security has been much of a concern. I mean, I am all about situational awareness, and when you walk right up to folks and say hello to them and look them in the eyes with confidence, they don't generally give you trouble.

I would be a lot more concerned for my safety walking through a Mexican neighborhood, or black neighborhood back home, because of the tensions of years of living near those subsets of the population, and the mistreatment brought upon them by the mostly white establishment (real or perceived)

That just isn't an issue here, so these folks see you with a definite curiosity, but not with a chip on their shoulder.

It is pretty hard to blend in as a white man here. So I have found it best to lead with a smile and a "hey, how's it going" face to face....

If you are confident and look people right in the eye and smile, it allows for folks to friendly up.

The folks here have been nothing but kind to me.

It is just as it is back home, if you see trouble coming, then blend away or split the scene.

Back home, I carry a sidearm all day every day..
Partially because it is my right, and also because I may have a lot of cash on me due to my occupation.

I felt naked without my revolver here for a long time, just because it is part of my get up.

I do not wear pants or shorts without my gunbelt back home.

I got a baton and a knife, but haven't needed either, and that is fine with me.

Last edited:
Thanks Todd, I agree with your 'situational awareness' statements. Having traveled a bit myself it becomes second nature to see beyond the immediate and just avoid potential situations. Thanks for your insights.

Today I made my rounds,
Walked up to the temple and watched the ferry docks about 1/4 mile upriver from anya's place.

There seems to be an endless string of small vessels that come here to pray as they float slowly past the temple, and to ice their hulls. aty the ice plant right near by.

Today I sat at the pagoda and watched the ferry sputter and die about 100 yars off the dock. It floated freely in the river.

Every couple of minutes it'd fire up again,
then die.

after about 2 ginger ales worth, they got it going and back on their way.

A boat with about 15 guys came into the dock and roped in.

They washed the deck and sorted through their nets.

Nobody had a shirt
none of them had shoes

The pilot worked his way to the bow, and prayed for a moment and then removed the dead flowers and unwrapped the colors from s ship.

he washed it down well, and then made his way back to the tanks where they keep the really clean water (for drinking) and got 2 big bowls full

he washed it down with the purest water.

folks here are very religious, and there seems to be a good deal of superstitious belief behind it.

I watched the big clouds rolling in from the gulf and smelled the diesel and fish.

I put on my pack and walked back home to anya's place

The neighbors were sure to wave and nod as I walked by,
hell, they even smiled.

I like it here.

I never thought I would.

But I reckon maybe I have changed
or this place has changed.

Perhaps this place has changed me?

Last edited:
It has been nice to have a long break. Vacationing here is not for the weak or sickly.

We got up a t 0500 hrs this morning and Pim took us to Samut Sakhon downtown,

then we got in a taxi to Bkk (bout an hour)

In Bkk, we got on a minibus for 5 hrs and came to a place called Trat.

It is on the border of Cambodia and Thailand.

People think "Oh 5 hrs in a bus, I can sleep some" Not true.

The roads here are flat out primitive, and a 5 hr bus ride is brutal. To top it off, the drivers go full on fast. 140kmph on a rugged potholed road. You get beat up.

After we got off the minibus, we caught a song tao, It is a pickup truck with a canopy and 2 rows of seats.... that took us another 40 minutes.... Anya was getting tired out by then, and it really pissed her off that we had to wait for some smelly American hippies. She started yelling at them to hurry up and they were very offended... I told her to count to 10, and told them to step back 10 paces.... She really has a temper.

Then we caught the ferry over to Koh Chaing.... it has been 10 years since we've been here.

On our song tao trip, a little gal got on and she was thai.

She and anya struck up a quick friendship... Turns out that she is a masseuse, and she rubbed my arm and hands and it was very nice.

Her boyfriend has a place her on the island and she invited us to visit her if we wanted to go see Angkor Wat... Very nice gesture from a nice lady.

Anyway, after we crossed over to the island on the ferry, we had to take another song tao to our hotel... It is at the extreme southern tip of Koh Chaing. The road turns to gravel and it is thick with jungle all around.

We got here and I took a swim in the pool and felt really relaxed. had a couple of cold Ginger ales and was glad to be done riding in busses ect.

Me and anya talked some about her mom... She still is having a rough time with her loss, and I felt bad for her... All of her sisters are still very much in mourning, and it has been a tough gig for them.... I wish that there was something I could do to help, but all I can do is "be here".

We should be back on the 6th and hope to re- open on the 10th....
Got to hire a new helper and get my act together when I get home.

It'll be good to see mom and Kaden ... I miss that red haired boy something fierce.

Back