The Mallard Boat

"Wise" Pete beat me to the definition. Think of a rocking chair to get the idea of rocker. Your boat will rock back and forth if it has a lot of rocker to it.

you silver tongued devil you......

You do know how to thank people for taking the time to respond to a question, (do you think that anyone responded with the express intention of NOT helping you), and to ensure that they'll continue to provide FREE help and advice.....

Nuff said.....

I'm out.....

Steve

Last edited:
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Now, you're on the right track. Sitting down with Sam for an hour will give you more knowledge than a month on this forum.

Thanks Pete. I will be going down to Olympia on Tuesday.

I appreciate the help you all have given me. I trust it will start off my retirement on the right foot.

Dave
[/font]

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica](re-post) If you want a foul weather canvas look no farther than David Clark's work!!

Can you tell me where I can find that?
[/font]

Thank you Pete and David. The visual reference helps me get it straight in my head. I have to tell you that I received the plans for the Mallard in the mail today. I opened them and I really wouldn't have been able tell by looking at them that the boat is a "rocker" hull. I can see now that you have pointed that out, however. I will not be building the Mallard.

Dave

Dave it all depends on your discription of skinny water. Here is a BBIII and you can see the depth of the water.

08-09-08-Manitoba-Trip-019.jpg

If you have not discovered the search section on the forum at the top of the page your missing out on a wealth of information. I learned a lot of information through the search option when starting on my boat build.

That is a good looking boat... and dog. Chesapeake? I was not aware of the search feature. I will try to figure it out. Thanks

Dave,

Greeting Neighbor! With the weight you take hunting, sounds like you need Black Brant- the hard part is 2 or 3. I built a 2 and have really enjoyed hunting out of it (even caught a few crabs where you are talking about hunting). I used to run 6-8 miles to our hunting spot, and in the dark I did not run wide open throttle, so I think the boat is fast enough with a 25HP. Would be interested in hearing what Sam has to say. The attached links are some old posts of my BBII you may find useful.

http://duckboats.net/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=960;search_string=bb%20ii;#960
http://duckboats.net/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=52164;search_string=bb%20ii;#52164

Take care and good luck with your decission!

-Bill

Bill, I would be indebted to you if we could take a ride in your boat. I would love to have some "hands on" experience before I get the tools out. Would that be possible?

Dave

That is a good looking boat... and dog. Chesapeake? I was not aware of the search feature. I will try to figure it out. Thanks

Yep she is a small Chsapeake comes in around 62 pounds at 2 1/2 years old. The nice part about this site is they dont archive the data or remove it so the searches can get you information from years ago as well as last week. Obviously you will still have lots of specific questions as you go forward with a build but a lot can be learned before you start by reading those past posts.

Talking to Sam you will learn a ton. I had a conversation for 30 minutes on the phone with him earlier this year and understand lots more about both my boat and the other designs as well.

This is Jamus Driscols BBII
One sweet boat and clearly set up for rough water handling. He had his two boys with him this day and all their gear.

The rocker takes more HP to push fast but also makes for a much improved capability in the bad weather if run slow and steady.

Last edited:
I rode my harley down to Devlin Boats this morning and sat down with Sam for awhile. We talked about MY style of hunting, where I go, what else I want a boat for and many other things. I traded my Mallard plans in for Cackler plans. Sam gave me some modifications he had planned for the boat, but had not added to the blupeprints yet. We talked about changing a few things here and there.

Sam also gave me a couple of contacts for buying materials at wholesale prices for his customers. I will send them along if anyone is interested. They are in Seattle and Port Townsend. Not too handy for folks outside of out immediate area. Sam also told me he recommends using Meranti or Keruing plywood. I had never heard of either of those species. He said they are "harder" then the usual marine plywood and gives a better hull strength. The bulkheads and transom don't matter so much. I will run up to Eldensaw (Port Townsend) tomorrow and get my materials.

I MAY have this completed by this fall, I don't know. I am also training to compete in the World Games this summer in Vancouver, BC. That is taking a lot of my time.

Dave

Dave,

Glad to hear you found the best design for your needs. Seems no one boat can do it all. After crabbing and fishing with my 2 boys, I keep thinking I could really use a Snow Goose. But I also like being married....

It is interesting to hear Sam's recommendation on the Meranti. It is a good bit cheaper than Okoume. I used Meranti for the hull of my BB2 (and the deck over the bow, since it is made from the hull scrap) for the exact reason mentioned. The bulkheads and reamaining deck are from okoume because it is lighter.

Enoy your build!

-Bill

Dave,
Just curious, did Sam give you a horsepower figure for what you wanted to do?
My guess is the 8 hp you spoke of wont cut it, but I have been REALLY,REALLY
wrong before.

Thanks Bill. I picked up 5 sheets of 3/8" Meranti this morning. I already had the 3/4 and 1/2 stuff. Now I am looking for some epoxy resin. One store I called tried to sell me something called Vinyl Esther (I think) resin saying it was a whole bit cheaper. I decided to do more research before I buy the wrong thing.

If all goes will, I will be scarfing the plywood tomorrow.

Dave

Last edited:
The Cackler is rated at 25 HP. I will try the 8HP to see how it does, but I suspect I will be looking for a 25 to power it.

I have had my mariner 8HP since it was brand new. I replace the waterpump every other year (an easy chore) and I always run the motor dry to eliminate any varnish build up in the carburator. I have rebuilt the carburator twice over the last 12 years. When it needs more than two pulls to start, I open the tool box. I used to be a certified mechanic for General Motors. I CANT STAND motors that do not start right up. It drives me nuts.

When I had my 18 ft fishing boat, I used that 8HP to troll for salmon all day long. It's in good shape and I doubt I could ever sell it. We have developed a relationship over time. Speaking of HP, my 18 Ft boat was rated at 130 HP but I used a 70. It did just fine except if I have 4 guys in it. Then it took a long time to come up on plane. Most of the time I was alone because I used to launch at 3AM. My lazy friends could seldom get up at 2 to meet me at the boat ramp.

Duck boats are in another catagory I feel. Most of the time we all go out in the dark and I never go fast then. For puddles and ponds slow is fine, but there are times on the big water when the distances are so great that more speed is necessary.

I guess I rambled on here.... sorry.

Dave

Dave,

Keep us posted. I am interested in your progress and how things go.

Tight Lines ... Fred

Do you know how, and out of what, did Jamus make the covered area in the front of his cockpit?

Here are a couple of sites for epoxy http://www.westsystem.com/ss/........http://www.raka.com/

Others may chime in and give their experiences of using either. Good luck on your boat build and be sure to post pictures.

Back