The Migration Has Begun-----for

Al Hansen

hummingbirds, that is! Within the past 6 days we have gone from feeding about 6 ounces of nectar per day to just shy of 2 gallons of nectar per day. I have been looking forward to this since last year.
The broadtail hummers have come down out of the mountains. The Rufous and Calliope are now here on their way south. They normally will stick around for about a month before moving out.
The Calliope is North America's smallest bird. The female measures in at around 2 1/2 inches long. They are cute little buggers.
Al

Female Calliope

IMG_2389.jpg

The female Calliope is in the foreground with an adult male Rufous behind her.

IMG_2368.jpg

Sometimes it is called just plain old "mayhem" when you hear the wings of 80 to 100 of these little guys and their constant chipping sounds that they make.

IMG_2481.jpg

IMG_2485.jpg

IMG_2486.jpg

This is an adult male broadtail hummer. It was one like this that flew over the top of my head when I was standing at the top of Mt. Baldy, which is at 10,783 feet. Amazing little guy.

IMG_2515.jpg

This adult female black-chinned hummingbird is showing only part of her tongue. By the way, they lick nectar and do not suck it like some people think. They can lick at the rate of up to 16 licks per second.

IMG_2739.jpg

This is a juvenile male rufous.

IMG_2558.jpg

IMG_2698.jpg

This is an adult male rufous. Just think, this little guy flies all the way to southeastern Alaska and western Canada to their breeding grounds.
Al

IMG_2804.jpg

Last edited:
Same here. All I have are Ruby Throats. Mean little basturds. Thanks for the post Al. I refill my feeder every week now. About a cup and a half per week. 2 GALLONS A DAY, WOW.

Fabulous pictures!!!!! They almost look like a swarm of large bees at the feeder.... very cool.

I just want to say thanks for all your outstanding photos. Love the hummingbirds and awesome 2 gallons a day! Really enjoy seeing your posts.

Back