"The Other Delaware River"

Sean -

Thank you very much!

You have been a great help.

I look forward to reading your article, hopefully in the near future.

Makes one wonder, where the authors of Decoys A North American Survey, got the info that the decoys were carved by Mel Grauch?

Best regards
Vince

As Jode has stated the Other Delaware river decoys. . Seems to have largely been ignored by decoy enthusiasts. From National Park to Salem they were a lot of makers . From the earliest R.W. Davids (early 1800’s also Albert Langes first cousin ) to the Shropshire’s of Supawna . There is a rich history of waterfowling and decoys on the lower river . I wish more younger waterfowlers from the area would take the time to learn the history on the lower Delaware river and bay.

sean sutton said:
As Jode has stated the Other Delaware river decoys. . Seems to have largely been ignored by decoy enthusiasts. From National Park to Salem they were a lot of makers . From the earliest R.W. Davids (early 1800’s also Albert Langes first cousin ) to the Shropshire’s of Supawna . There is a rich history of waterfowling and decoys on the lower river . I wish more younger waterfowlers from the area would take the time to learn the history on the lower Delaware river and bay.

Here here, a whole area that is still in need of further Discovery. There's nothing quite like it.

Yes Vince they did and It stuck . Like Mackey’ , Fleckenstein and Barber’s books . At lot of mis information has kinda stuck .

Sean -

I am shaking my head in amazement, at the wealth of Correct information that you are providing here.

There are many folks such as myself, that are VERY interested in decoy history. Not just in the flyway we reside in, but the Atlantic Flyway has deep and winding roots.

At some of the better shows, we were, and still can SEE, and Touch some wonderful old decoys. Some museums, and auctions also, but many are in private collections out of the public eye.

When we cannot, we rely on books and articles to provide us the knowledge and information that we desire.

Hopefully you and others can correct the errors.

It may be just me, but there seems to be some hypothetical information trying to fill in gaps, that may or may not exist

Waterfowlers of all ages need to delve deeper into all areas of the lifestyle, and it's rich history. Not just how to shootem.

The more young folks interested in the history the better.

"The Other Delaware River" decoys and waterfowling history deserves it's due.

There is much more we need to learn from history.

Thanks again.

Vince

Well put Vince. If we don't preserve the history of these decoys and all that goes with it,
that would be a great loss to all of us who love waterfowling.

Tom

Jode make a bird that is unmistakably his own . And that comes from not copying a Godin pattern , but for his Enthusiastic interest of old decoys. Nice bird Jode .

sean sutton said:
Jode make a bird that is unmistakably his own . And that comes from not copying a Godin pattern , but for his Enthusiastic interest of old decoys. Nice bird Jode .

Thank you Sean. History is where it's at.

Back