The perfect duckboat?

Earl Todd

Do they make such a thing? I've been looking for a boat that I can use for on the Columbia River in pretty nasty conditions while also running in minimal amounts of water. I've been looking at johns and semi v's and haven't found exactly what I would like to own. I found one the other day that came close but a few things about it didn't make me all gaga eyed. It was a Lowe roughneck 1752. I liked the layout inside best out of most I've looked at but it needed a flatter floor and to lose the bench seat in the back to work for me. Most boats I've looked at are too narrow for stability and the sides aren't high enough for the weather conditions the Columbia can produce.

So, do they make a perfect duck boat for what I'm looking for?

Tough question. Truthfully, there is only one way to find out. Start trying them all out. Its kinda fun if you can get away with it.
-

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
Do they make such a thing?

Sure they do. It's called a fleet. :>) :>)

Differing conditions are exactly why there are differing boats. I often think of the saying; "Jack of all trades and master of none." Having just one boat for different boating conditions will always be a compromise. When those differing conditions all happen on the same run, on the same body of water,,,,,,,, well it makes it tough to get the best match for all sections of the run.
[/font]

As mentioned previously, a fleet is the perfect solution. However, a custom aluminum mudboat may be a nice compromise. You can specify the dimensions and the layout you want and power it anyway you want.

If you are looking at a Lowe Roughneck, which is a fine boat IMO, you owe it to yourself to explore custom/semi-custom "jons" or mudboats. I am partial to Phowler, but I have read good things about Uncle-J and Breaux Brothers.

Mud boats may be flat bottomed, but with the extra weight, they tend to ride a little better in a chop than a comparably sized production jon. You can get them in any size your hunting conditions will permit, so the stabilility is up to you.

I hunted a Lowe 1848, powered by a 35 Mercury, for over 20 years. Three years ago I purchased a Phowler 2066 with a modified ProDrive mud motor and I never looked back. The Lowe was a fine boat, I sold mine to a good friend, but the Phowler was an amazing step up in size, capability, and stability.....but not speed.

I hunt the area you are talking about and know it well after 21 duck seasons there. I have both a polarkraft 1754 tunnel boat and a 19 ft Bankes. I've seen everything from 10 foot Jon boats to 20 foot jet sleds out there. There is no perfect boat for there. I love the seaworthiness of the Bankes but I don't take down some of the sloughs because of the narrowness of channels,submerged logs, and tidal fluctuations. But there have been plenty of times when I felt the Polarkraft was not enough boat for the conditions. Whatever you do, learn the lay of the land and how the tides, current and wind interact. Get a good GPS and go out at low tide and mark all the obstructions. Then realize that the sandbars, logs and other hazards are constantly shifting and respect that knowledge. Wear your pfd and be careful.

Perfect duck boat? Depending on where you are in the boat ownership cycle, it's either the one you just got, or the next one.

I tend toward the fleet approach. A utilitarian 14 foot aluminum with an ancient 15 HP 2 stroke; an old Merrymeeting Bay 2 man sculling boat I refinished, and a barnfull of canoes and kayaks, all of the "well-used and functional" variety.

I don't know your waters, but based on other responses, you probably want to go larger. My boat selection keeps me off the big water ocean hunting here in Maine.

You may want to search for some of John Livoti's posts--he has a big boat to deal with the big water, and tows a smaller boat or boats for the skinny water where he wants to hide.

I would run a larger tender that hauled a smaller boat or two. Set your spread. Hunt out of the layout and anchor the tender out of the way.

yea i agree with the guys there is no such thing, i have tried and tried to figure that out. Ive ended up with a 23 c-hawk to carry my layouts, an 18 c-hawk (in restoration), a 14' armstrong with a 25hp for laying out with only 1 or 2 people and shooting swamps, as well as an 18' aluminum camo semi-vee which i just listed for sale and its absolutely killing me! i really dont want to sell this boat but its hard to justify 6!

DSC_0483.jpg

DSC_1465-2.jpg

DSC_02452.jpg

Dec302007004.jpg

1-29-11006.jpg

and new to the fleet this year ive got a 2 man MLB layout that i dont have a pic of yet. Thanks to Steve McCullough of this site!

I just posted these pics to give you an idea of what we use downeast, I have the same issues.. very big water as well as tight coves to hide in.. the worst is crossing big water to get to the small areas you need to hide in! You need a big boat to get there and a small one once you arrive! Ive seen days i wouldnt dare take out the 23 and days you could paddle a canoe 10 miles out in the sound... just depends on good ol'e mother nature. Im sure yall see your fair share where your from as well.

Back