The Sago decoy rig

BillS

Here is some pics of the new rig in use. On sago lakes you will get a variety of birds, redheads, cans, ringers, widgeon and pintails are all what I like to target. I have a few left to finish but they are balsa bodies, white cedar heads and the cans are keeled with salvaged cedar from our 100 year old house's bathroom subfloor. Inconsistant balsa made this rig a bit of a challange to ride right. It turned out not as light as I had hoped, but it did shave some weight off using cork birds. Been tough hunting redheads and cans this year. Couldn't find any local birds and the birds that have come in aren't in the usual spots, Redheads are on small water and if you bump them they don't come back. Finaly found some cans about 50 miles away and went for a quick hunt this morning before work. I don't like shooting hens but its was what I thought my last chance before having to pull in the rig and they do taste the same.

View attachment 065.JPG

View attachment 053-3.JPG

View attachment 055.JPG

View attachment 008-2.JPG

Last edited:
Hope the ducks don't look on shore, we had widgeon in the dekes on that day. I try to use low profile field blinds and a mutt hutt but if its a long walk with 2 doz dekes in a sled, I make do with what I can. The pothole this morning was even less, the cattle had it down to mud. Tommorrow I going to try the bungee net that I tied raffia grass to.

I heard the saga of the Sago's during Marty's return trip. Nice to see them in pics. Sounds like you all had a nice early season hunt.

Keep the pics flowing!

Thanks mike, on my drive home from work, it looks like this NW wind today pushed some good birds in. This next 6-7 days will be dedicated to reds and cans before they leave.

Back