This ones for you Don, (Shearer).....

Steve Sutton

Missed the "Official Sept. 1" Dove and Grouse opener but not the follow on weekend.

Mike and I headed East and North last Friday in hopes that there would be Doves in place on the high wheat.

We arrived to find the area DRY as you can tell by the photo:

25-dustdevil.jpg

Except for those areas where the sprinklers were going

23-irrigation-1.jpg

Cooler this year than the last couple but still warm enough so that some shade was nice...we got there a little early so after 45
minutes or so of not seeing anything I was already starting to think I'd made a long drive for a waterhaul....nothing to do but wait to see
for sure...an hour later I had a pair of Mourning Doves and then looked up to see what I would have sworn was a pair of Whitewings
heading my way. Bigger and more direct in their flight than Mourning Doves. I managed to double on the pair and was still unsure that I
hadn't just killed not only a single, but a double, on Whitewings when Mike brought the first one in....

6-FirstCollaredDoves.jpg

I could see the collar on the first bird before he made it back and it suddenly dawned on me that they weren't WhiteWings but Eurasian
Collared Doves. I'd seen a couple in the last year or so and even heard of a few people shooting them but sure wasn't expecting one,
much less a pair of them.

Mike was pleased....

7-HappyDog.jpg

and being the considerate young man that he is mentioned how neat it would have been for Aspen to have been there so that she could have
retrieved the second one to add to her "life list"....
he didn't mention how neat it would have been for you to have shot the one that Aspen retrieved so I'll have to "assume" that he was
planning on me shooting them both and you just acting as the agent by which Aspen's company was being enjoyed.....

9-DoveHunt-9-081stday.jpg

As it got a little later it became obvious that we were off the main flight line and "for once" in my life I moved rather than trying to will
the birds to change an established flight pattern....(in reality it was seeing a half a dozen more "bigger doves" flying a power line that
made me move...from that range I couldn't tell for sure that they were also Eurasians but they were sure "bigger" and that was enough to prompt a move....As you can see they are almost twice the size of Mourning Doves.....

15-1stDayslimit.jpg

The move turned out to be a good one and I picked up another Collared Dove and filled out the rest of my Mourning Dove limit, (neat that the
Eurasians don't count against the regular limit), and Mike said that he enjoyed the elevated and more comfortable than rock seating arrange-
ments as well....

Saturday evening found us under the same flyway early enough to catch the bulk of the flight. Had another pair of Collared Doves fly over
and I would have doubled on them except that I missed the first shot, and then saw three more before calling it quits.....

32-secondday.jpg

Started working our way home on Sunday a.m. looking for Grouse. No Blues in the first spot but we did see a good number of Mule Deer....

21A-MuleDeerdoes-fawns.jpg

In fact, if Grouse were as common as Mule Deer seem to be this year we'd all need to buy a couple of extra freezers....

Gave up on locating the Blues and went to a favorite Ruffed spot and found both them and the first changing leaves of the season and ended
up with a pair of juveniles and a real sweetheart of an adult Red Phase bird.....

7-BigRed1.jpg

Mike wanted me to be sure to advise you that if you try to bag out on the Quail openere that he and I will be making a loop to your
house to pick up Aspen and to make sure that not only you, but also ALL of your neighbors, know how neglecful you are as a parent...

You should also be advised that once Aspen is in our possession you will have trouble reclaiming her....both from Mike and myself
and I'm sure Aspen as well since you appear not to be planning on taking her out again...

Steve

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the photos Steve. Great stuff indeed and congrats on your successful hunts. Those black band doves were interesting. But my favorite pic was the roughie. Great shot (picture and otherwise).

Steve,

Love the pic of Mike on the hay bail. If I were you, providing the original is high-res, that would get blown up and framed and go on the wall.

photo's Steve. Nice hunt, I like the way Mike communicates to you in the story. Looks like your shooting eye is doing fine these days, keep it going.

Wow, Mike sure has filled out into a good looking feller. Drake better keep his tail between his legs and his head down. Cool hunt ya had there.

Steve,

Thank you for the fix. I am sitting in the airport in Seattle and this is just what I needed to get me through the day. Mike looks good and ready but I do not think his intentions towards Aspen are pure. You are right about Aspen current dispositon. As I was leaving early this morning she lifted her head off her bed and gave me a look that said, "Go ahead and leave you are of now use to me anyhow" and then she put her head back down and went back to sleep. I have scheduled the time off for the quail opener. I need to call you and nail down some details.

Thank you for sharing the pictures and giving me the extra motivitian to make the opener.

My best,

Don

14-1stdayslimit.jpg

Not as heavy as Buddy was but other than wt. he's darn near a carbon copy. In his prime Buddy was just a hair over 100 lbs. Mike's right at 85 lbs going into this season and will drop at least 10 of that before the season is over if he his history of being a reluctant eater repeats itself.

I personally think thats a disadvantage in the water and seriously believe that a bigger, stronger dog does better than a smaller one in cold water and current. That said there's no question that the lighter wt. dogs hold up better in the upland. Three, max four, days was all that Buddy's feet would stand in the stubble and rimrock upland hunting. I hunted Mike 8 days straight in the same conditions that would have required "days off" for Buddy with no wear near the wear and tear on his feet.

85lbs seems to be a good compromise of the two disciplines.

ABeck...the Dove decoys were made by Carey Lester from Dockery, Mississippi....neat little birds for sure....

Steve

holy cow, Sutton has a digital camera out hunting, i think i just passed a Parks sized kidney stone.
Sweet picks Steve - get any ruby slipper wearing dove in the swirling cloud.
I am headed up to UW the first week of October, you going to be around?
D-

Fred, Rob, Kurz, (if he hasn't died and gone to heaven--haven't heard from him in over a month and I think he's totally depressed that his new boat is a mega fish REPELLANT), Don Shearer and Todd Osier and I will be on the river north of Okanogan on a combo Quail-BIG ASS RAINBOW camping trip....we'll likely leave for the river on the 2nd or so but if you're here before that I should be around.....

Those big dust devils were incredible...that one in the picture had to be a good 100 feet across at the base and just sat in one place for a good 10 minutes...pretty amazing and they were all over the place....no ruby slippers that I saw.....

Did you get Gary out for the Dove opener?

Steve

When you have a pimped out battleship like Kurz, fish see the bling and run for covr. I bet he uses the sweat from virgins to polish it as it is,,, that'll do it. I'll zip you the dates, if it does not work out - I am hooking up with my fat litte friend and his mouth breathing side-kick and coming over to pilfering the garage and poop on the car! Bwhahaahah

He did not make it out, he is working on getting stronger and will be out this weekend. Looking better every day.

We have a no limit on collard doves down here, but i have yet to see one.
D-

Back