This should tick you off!

DL Marshall

This should upset you as much as it did me today. I was out working on one of our town roads and ran across this. I’m guessing it’s between 10-15 Mallards someone shot last fall. I was told they were there all winter by someone living near by. They said they didn’t know what was in the barrel until it was dumped out. The person or persons who shot these might know how to call, decoy and shoot, but they don’t have a clue on what it means to be a Waterfowler, and there is no reason for this. To some guys it’s all about the numbers. The one on top is a hen Mallard; she won’t be having any chicks this spring.
0422000800_1_.jpg

Last edited:
The guys who shot those birds want catching up with and shooting, theres, no excuse for that.
take care and God Bless
Eddie.
Its all about Building that Bond.

What is equally as bad, would be the number of people who have seen this or have heard of it. For the anti-hunters this is just fodder or call it ammunition for them to gain more people within their ranks. Basically speaking, hunters are some times their own worst enemy.
Al

Al, while I agree with you taht hunters can be their own worst enemy, to call whoever did that a hunter is a slap in the face to all true hunters, those who have ethic and abide by the law.. I know you didnt mean anything its just one of my pet peeves, those guys arent hunters they are criminals. Steve

Totally agree with you, Steve. It was a very poor choice of words on my part. A hunter in the true sense would never waste anything.
Al

How do "we" know they are wild shot ducks?

It's possible you may be looking at $100-$150 worth of tame ducks, that may have been used extensively in the process of training a retriever (s), for the purpose of conserving wild game.

If that's the case, the trainer may not be the best at disposal, but he's probably doing as much or more than the average joe does for conservation.

Nothing goes to waste unless you wrap it up in plastic and throw it in a landfill for eternity.

NR

YEAH right Nick... I'm sure thats what it is

As for the purpose of posting it,,,, I guess I just felt a need to. No matter what we do there will always be those who think us hunter/gun owners shouldn't do what we do. Maybe there is some out there who don't want to see the storm thats on our horizon and soon will be upon us. Maybe if we don't ruffle any feathers they will leave us alone. I'm sure thats the path the anti-gun groups and enviromental groups will take. Look I'm not trying to start anything, I was really ticked off after finding it. Trust me I won't do it a agin. Training birds,, LOL.. Thats a good one Nick ;)

Okey Dokey, DL,

Presumed guilty until proven innocent . . . The point is, how do you know where these birds came from?????? you wouldn't be making any kind of an assumption, wouldja?

I'll take a survey of the retriever club and see how our members dispose of their training birds . . . ya don't spose they dump them somewhere to decompose, do ya?

Are we sposed to eat them?

Awaiting further enlightenment,

NR

United we stand divided we fall. Loose lips sink ships. I hope Nick is right. You have to catch them in the act.If they are wild it is a shame. John

I hunt all year to get that many ducks! Makes me sick! I always thought they should change the price of the federal duck stamp to $1,000.00! That way we could keep the Yahoo's out of the sport! Ha!

maybe a taxidermist threw them out. i don't buy that someone shot them, left the "field" with them, drove some distance just to stop and throw them out. it sucks that animals weren't eaten.. but thats about as far as i go with it. no telling where those came from. you should have dug through them and checked for missing toes / tags :) one thing is for sure though.. i bet they smelled GRRRRREAT!

Regardless of what they were used for, they were disposed of improperly. If we as hunter can presume that they were a result of waste then you can assume what non hunters would assume .....

Back