This Years Diver Rig Almost Finished

Tom Rowe

I started casting this rig in late August/early September. I'm just about done...and for once...I might actually be done before the Birds show up. All are fully flocked. I did some experimenting with blending different flocking colors. They are not perfect but overall I'm happy with it. I just have a few things to finish up like the secondary's and vermiculation on the drake BB's. I also have to finish the secondary's on the drake redheads

Very Nice!!
I know a great place along the Gulf coast we could test float that rig.....

Tom~

I truly laughed out loud when I saw that first photo! Your prodigious productivity astounds. And, best of all, each bird is spectacular. Congratulations - and here's to a great diver year for you!

All the best,

SJS

Tom-

That rig looks awesome. Probably because it is. I have enjoyed your posts regarding your new diver rig each year. I have enjoyed you sharing the pics of the development and then the massive flock that you produce.

So, if I may, would you mind posting a pic of the mold that you made to cast these birds. I would lie to see what that looks like.

How do attach the keels?

I mentioned last year about thinking this MIT be a fun project to do with my son. Especially for him to focus on painting rather than carving right now.

There is a guy locally that sells unpainted foam decoys so that you can paint your own. I haven't pulled the trigger, but may just pick up some from him so my son can give it a go.

Chad A

Tom

i showed that first picture to my wife- explaining it was "this year's rig"

she said - "he doesn't do anything else does he" LOL

Chad, I don't mind at all. Here are a few pics of one of the molds.

The keels are attached to a block of wood cast into the bottom of the decoy using stainless deck screws. Here is a pic

Tom-

That is really cool. I don't know if you want to take he time to explain the process, but would you be able to atleast point me in the direction of some reliable information regarding making a mold and the molding process?

That really looks pretty slick.

The head I assume is a separate piece.

Chad A

Tom

i showed that first picture to my wife- explaining it was "this year's rig"

she said - "he doesn't do anything else does he" LOL

My wife says the same thing, usually followed by a few choice words. Shortly thereafter I am forced to dodge a projectile of some kind. She has developed pretty good aim over the years so I don't always make it out of the way. I've been hit in the head a few times. I think that may explain why I make a new rig every year.

Tom-

That is really cool. I don't know if you want to take he time to explain the process, but would you be able to atleast point me in the direction of some reliable information regarding making a mold and the molding process?

That really looks pretty slick.

The head I assume is a separate piece.

The sleepers are one piece. The heads are separate on the decoys with the upright heads. Mostly so I can very the position of the head to make the rig look more natural.

I'd be happy to help you learn how to do it. It's a great project to do with the kids. My 5, 7 and 9 year old sons love to "help" me.

Last edited:
Awesome Tom! Bring that rig over here after xmas and we'll hunt em hard.....

Sounds good to me. We will definitely have to plan a hunt. Hopefully the weather will cooperate like last year.

Back