This Years Diver Rig Almost Finished

I just weighed one of the redheads. With the keel keel it weighed 2.6 lbs. I believe there is 130 or so decoys so the total rig is probably in the area of 375 to 400 lbs. the cans are bigger and weigh a bit more.

Tom, nice rig and bill detail on these birds! I assume they are solid. I don't dare carve 'em that close to actual proportional dimensions in basswood! How do they hold up when getting bounced off the Lund a couple dozen times?

Best of luck to you on your season! Contary to Brandon's recent pronouncement that the UP waterfowl season was "dismal", gunning has been good and is still running, with ample birds. You just have to put down Gordon Macquarrie and go looking...just finished a series of days on some marshes on and near the Lake Michigan side of the UP, hunting with a friend in from Anchorage, Ak. to attend his godmother's 93rd birthday celebration, as well as help her site-in her deer rifle and clear her shooting lanes prior the season opener on Saturday. Go get 'em, Nehi!

Tom, nice rig and bill detail on these birds! I assume they are solid. I don't dare carve 'em that close to actual proportional dimensions in basswood! How do they hold up when getting bounced off the Lund a couple dozen times?

Best of luck to you on your season! Contary to Brandon's recent pronouncement that the UP waterfowl season was "dismal", gunning has been good and is still running, with ample birds. You just have to put down Gordon Macquarrie and go looking...just finished a series of days on some marshes on and near the Lake Michigan side of the UP, hunting with a friend in from Anchorage, Ak. to attend his godmother's 93rd birthday celebration, as well as help her site-in her deer rifle and clear her shooting lanes prior the season opener on Saturday. Go get 'em, Nehi!

Thanks. Yes sir the bills and the tails are solid plastic. Haven't broken one yet on the side of the boat. I did snap 1 beak off last season smashing ice off with a piece of rebar. Got a hit overzealous I guess.

93 and still shooting. I hope I get that lucky!!!

Tom... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take some pictures of that rig floating! Amazing I would be happy just watching the decoys.. the real ducks would be a distraction!! WOW

Tom, beautiful rig and job. How long does it take to place out a 130 bird rig?

Best - Paul

Thanks for the kind words all. Paul it takes about 45 minutes if we are hunting from shore and a bit longer if we are setting from a boat.

I will be sure to post a few pics of them in action. I'm planning on trying to get out next week sometime.

Looks like a lot of work. great job and great rig!

Thanks Matt. I'm jealous of your soon to be studio/shop. I have to stick to my cave like shelter with one light dangling from a chain for several more years.

Do you have open water still to float those beasties on? I caught some of the footage coming out of Buffulo-just downright brutal weather!

Good luck and, above all else, stay safe! Lund's are great boats, but not invincible...

not to speak for Tom

but -Rochester is not Buffalo -that lake effect storm is horrendous but a narrow area south of the city of Buffalo

it does not affect Rochester, its been cold and an inch or two of snow- but upper 50's maybe 60 is around the corner for the end of the weekend - early next week
(that is more bad news for the Buffalo area, flooding and if it rains - roof collapses )

on top of that, there are lakes that do not freeze over

RL all of the lakes are still open. Some have just a bit of shoreline ice but that will be gone after the weekend as it's supposed to get up into the high 50's. I will say it has been cooler than normal for the past week. Temps have been dropping into the mid teens at night. I'm planning on going out next week with the hopes that decent numbers of divers came down with the front. We shall see.

Like Rick said, here in Rochester we only got dusted with 4 or 5 inches. wish the same could be said for the folks just south of Buffalo.

Back