tiller handle extension?

Gene R.

Who makes a Quality extension that are not a flimsy P.O.S.? I need one about 18-24" long for my Duck wrangler 17 w/50 merc.

Thanks
Gene

I just got one from west marine that is really nice I got the extendable version but they had. 3 or 4 to choose from also I saw a bunch on ebay too

Sorry but I do not like the one from West Marine. Way to flimsy for me. I made one for my 60hp Merc 4 stroke out f !1/2" PVC pipe and a piece of clothes pole, Its been doing the job for 4 seasons.

If all you need is a short extension make one out of 1 1/2" PVC, cut a saw slot about 6" long terminating at a 1/2" drilled hole on the motor end and secure with a hose clamp. All you need, and will last longer then you.
The extensions you buy are made for low HP motors, and even then don't work that well.

here is one i made, someone else posted details, and I copied it close....

34596_1528001246253_1421364622_31379690_2639890_n.jpg

I have the kill/stop button on the top, I feed the deadman tether through this hole, and I added a actuator from the end of the extension to the stop switch too. Don't have a picture, but is just a 1/2" PVC pipe with a cap on each end, with an inch of travel. Saved me from reaching back to shut off the motor.

I did the clamp collar in 2 pieces, and have the hose clams screwed in place so they are always oriented easy. Took a couple days out to figure the right length for it.

I have a homemade pvc(came with motor) but it's very uncomfortabale due to dia. of the pipe being to large in hand. Imagine holding the barrel of a bat. Basiclly looks just like yours Dave, except for handle dia. Does the pvc hold up in freezing temps, not becoming brittle? The after market one I bought was gray alum pipe with plastic clamp pop riveted to pipe. Real crap. Also with the taper grip of the tiller handle on the Merc it seems to make it hard to get a solid foundation at the handle.

Gene

Mine is holding up well, it is rigid enough to feel secure, but does not get brittle. I wrapped my tiller handle in some self fusing tape to square it up a little, but my clamp also allows for variation as the handle is split, it holds well. I used the same tape to create a grip at the end of the PVC to build it up a little. I took the piece that fit the tiller and the piece I wanted for the handle to Home Depot and fit parts inbetween until I got what I wanted. Maybe I have $10 into the project, including the can of spray paint!

maybe if i reduce the size it'll work like yours. It wouldn't be the first time i went to home depot a pocket full of parts. Thanks dave. I'll try and let ya know.

Gene

Gene I bought a tiller a few years ago, it was made for decent size outboards. all aluminum very solid, shutoff button on the end. definitely not one of those plastic jobs the boat stores sell! Called the boat builder whose boat I saw it on today,said company who made mine is not making them any more. He told me he uses another brand on his tiller flatsboat now, the current brand is Strongarm products. I googled them saw comparisons of quite a few tillers , most looked very substantial. Its nice to know there is a choice of safe tiller extensions out there! Google strongarm tillers also.

Chris, Rich,
Thats what I've wanted, perfect. Checked the links going with strong arm w/o kill switch, just have to go to barn and measure.

Thanks,
Gene

ps: Rich, that looks like my female chessie "Penny" in your photo, is that your pup?

Gene Thats my boy bear, I have five chessies, he was our breeding he is nine now, best chessie I ever had. My other boy is actually my hunter Diesel's picture is in post Last teal of the season. Atleast I think thats what I called it.
My mistake "Florida closing day'.

Last edited:
Back