Tiller or Side Steer

I put my side console right in front of my back bench seat. It's a small console maybe a foot wide. My feet are underneath that so I'm really taking up little to no extra space. The console actually provides a barrier to lean a bag of decoys up against, an ice chest, or a tool/storage box. The console is very lite weight so that is not an issue. Like I said I use to have a tiller and thought it was ok but the console is so much better. I feel so much more comfortable and in control with this set up. With the width in this part of the boat, it shouldn't deprive me of a hunters blind space.

Putting the 20-ft in perspective. I took this picture back when I was fabricating the aluminum deck for the Starcraft 14 sf. 20 ft is a big duck boat and the side console doesn't tie up much space while providing a great mounting space for a GPS, Fish finder, radio, compass and cup holder. I've also mounted a rod rack on it to keep rods out from under foot.

Scott

View attachment sidebyside.JPG

I should make you an offer for your port side console, I'm sure my fishing buddies would enjoy the shelter! The port side passenger sits totally exposed, with the blind it's not too bad but without it their exposed. You may want to think about setting it up for a quick on/off selection, rivet nuts and allen heads would be nice.

Scott

Just one of me driving with the tiller

D20_4368.jpg

CJ, Working with aluminum was fun but I'm not in the business. I designed, cut , fitted and pop riveted the deck together but a gentleman and fellow duck hunter Jeff Riley tig'd it up for me.

Eric, this was the first electric start motor (no built in pull cord at all) and when adding the electronics I was concerned about draining the battery an being stranded so I simply wired up to a small deep cycle battery in a easily removable battery box. Never needed it but figured the deep cycle would also work as a back up starting battery.

Scott

Back