Tim got me thinking................

Dave Church

....and I didn't want to steal his thread.

Tim,
Great story! As my brother-in-law/Best Man in my wedding/Godfather of my oldest boy fights for his life against cancer, I remember fishing with him years ago in my little boat. We chatted about everything and it eventually turned to "not so flattering" talk of our mother-in-law. When we finished getting the boat on the trailer, we noticed the camcorder had been in the bag...ON... recording our every word. Together we destroyed the tape together....we still laugh about it. I will hate when we can't talk and laugh about it anymore. He always was there to support me in my endeavors and was the one who pushed me to start my decoy business. He was an executive with Goodyear for years before he had to leave due to his illness. It was flattering the way he, a giant business man, would listen to me talk about how I was going to get my little business going. He never judged, he never interfered...........he just supported. He wasn't much of a hunter, but I would have loved to have spent some time in the field with him. We did fish together and I will always have those memories.

I also think somedays back to when the sound of those old decoys clunked in the burlap bag like Tim had mentioned. Ihadn't though of that sound in years. Hell, at one time I think I was hauling them in an old corn sack. A man on the other side of the river thought I was a duck in the early morning light as I made soft quacks. I had no idea he was even there. He fired in my direction before legal shooting time. A couple pellets dug in under my skin on my left hand. It stung like the dickens. I hollared and he ran off unseen, heard a truck door slam and away he went. I could have been seriously injured, he never stopped to check. He left his decoys...3 old Victors and a Carry-lite. They were not much to look at, but I waded across the river and claimed them as my own. The strings were from bailing twine and most had old fender washers or a bolt as the anchor. The rust from the anchors left stains on the decoys that wouldn't come off. The Carry-lite had been a chew toy for some young pup, it's head all dimpled and gnarled. This was my first "spread".
My first pair of waders were hip boots that the neighbor boy had out grown. The straps that connect to the belt were gone and I was using old boot laces to keep them up. They leaked a bit and I used to cram my feet into plastic sandwich bags to try and keep my feet as dry as possible. A farmer gave me a green "Pioneer" seed corn hat and that was the closest thing I had to a camo hat. I usually wore a green or brown shirt and my dad's old tan brush coat that he wore for pheasants. My friend carried an Ithaca 16ga., it was a bolt action and the barrel looked as if it were 30 FEET long. He had a shoulder strap and when he carried it, it caught every limb as we made our way down to the river. The river was no duck heaven, but it was running water and somebody once said that they THOUGHT they saw a duck there........once......so I hunted it like it was the flooded timber of Arkansas. I used my grandfathers old Remington Model 11. Most of the shells I had were paper hulls and I had to be really careful about getting them wet.
I walked beans, detasseled corn and bucked bales to earn money to buy my school clothes and such. I almost had enough to buy a Faulk's duck call from the local hardware store when the owner just gave it to me. By the looks of it, I think it had been there for many years. It was the worst sounding duck call I have ever heard. Still have it in my drawer in the shop. When the boys have asked about it they always follow up with the "why do you still have it" question. The easiest answer I give them is that it reminds me of hard work and determination. I saved a little more and ordered a Yentzen Sure Shot duck call. I still carry it on my lanyard. When you don't come from much and you don't have much, it's easy to envy what everyone is taking into the field. It's like when you see a beautiful bass boat slip down the ramp. You wish it was yours, but then you see him fishing the same shoreline that you are sitting on. I think my dad enjoyed meeting with other hunters out in the field when we had our limit of big pheasants, taken by our old hand-me-down guns. The "road hunters" carried their expensive guns and "hadn't seen a thing". It always looks silly when a kid with a cane pole walks off with a stringer full of fish as you winch the big boat back on the trailer.......skunked. I sometimes have to "step back" and remember that i used to shoot geese and ducks over old tires and bleach bottles. I used to wade with sandwich bags on my feet. It's more important to remember what you HAD......not what you think you needed.

dc

Nice story Dave. All my best to your brother in law.

"They leaked a bit and I used to cram my feet into plastic sandwich bags to try and keep my feet as dry as possible."
I think that is a "You might be a redneck" line right there.... and yes when I was young I often put my feet in bread bags that my mom had saved just for keeping feet dry.

Tim

Thanks for sharing Dave. I remember some of the things you are talking about. That makes us as old as dirt.

The sad part is, I'm not that old. I just grew up with really old crap. When I was a kid, we still had "party" lines on the phone. Most people I know said that went away mostly in the 50's. I was born in the late 60's. If the world ends tomorrow, I am moving back to central Illinois. That way it won't effect me for another 20 years or so. I think my folks and friends back there just heard about that new band called ....."The Beatles."

dc

Great story and some good memories. That kind of support from good friends is priceless. Your recollection of your start hunting brought to mind some of my own memories of the early days and they are not much different from yours. I still have my original Olt 66 and 77 calls that were my first. I made lanyards out of decoy cord. They sit on my mantle and I still blow them once in a while. I hunted with four carry lite mallards that I bought at the farm co-op store. I often rode my bike out to hunt alone. And yes, we had party lines into the early 70's.

Good memories! Thanks for stirring them.

Dave I was born in the final month of the 60s and I grew up with a party line. South Dakota in the 70s was not the epicenter for new technology. ;) Now we are right at the forefront of high speed connections but not back then.

Tim

Great story Dave...it is good to reminisce every now and then. I too did the bread bags in my younger days. I put them under sneakers though, didn't have the luxury of hip boots at all. My kids just don't appreciate how good they have it. Thoughts and preayers for your Brother-in-Law.

Steve

I walked beans, detasseled corn and bucked bales to earn money to buy my school clothes and such. ........ It's more important to remember what you HAD......not what you think you needed.

dc

and Dave, your stories just struck a cord with me... I was born in the mid 60's grew up in SW Iowa. I bought my first car with the money I made and saved from "walking beans". Started when I was 10 years old and worked for $1.00/hr. I still have my 'bean hook' in my garden shed. It is still razor sharp, oiled and rust free, just like it was 30+ years ago. It's pretty hard to find anyone that even knows the phrase, "walking beans" let alone find anyone that knows what that tool is... LOL!!
When I was too little to the throw the bales on the wagon I drove the tractor while the older boys threw the bales. I eventually moved up to throwing... sure hated those hay bales... straw was almost like a vacation. Ha!

And for the history books, I fished cricks (creeks) for yellow-bellied bullheads, on a 10' can pole... ah, man those were the days...

Best,
Brian F.

Brian,
same here. My wife still has no idea what a "crick" is. The river I hunted was called Salt Crick (Creek). As far as bean hooks, I remember them well. The ones we had had a cutting head on them that looked like a shiny metal cowboy boot when you stood them up. The top curve of the boot would have been the razor sharp edge and the "heel" would have also had a sharp edge to stab at weeds with. After a few years, I thought that thing had grown to my hand. Baling was the same way. You grew up on a tractor "fender", moved over to driving the tractor and eventually got handed a set of leather gloves and a bale hook and started working on that "chiseled farm boy" look the girls are always crazy about. Straw was the best, I baled hay that was so wet that when you lifted the wire to your waist, the bale was still on the ground. When the guy's barn would burn down from a flash fire, I would always wonder why he insisted on baling it wet. We would catch grasshoppers on the way down to the crick and catch bluegills or bullhead. We thought we were quite the providers when we brought these little fish home. The greatest way in the world to grow up.

dc

Great story brought back memories of plastic bread bags on my feet in my boots. Deer hunting in hand me down red plaid that I got from a friends older brother. Saving every penny I earned doing chores so i could buy a box of 16 ga shells for a single shot Ted Williams Sears & Roebuck shotgun.
And yep I remember we had a party line for a while in the early 60's. Finally got a color TV I think around 1970. Great memories too bad kids these days have so much just given to them. they dont know what its like working all week long for a few dollars.

Dave,
I had something up on you, I used black trash bags under hand me down cowbow boots. Sure was tough walking those swamps in No. Louisiana and not poking holes in the plastic. After a while we just said heck with the bags, we're going to get wet anyway, lets just go in. Still got the same birds though. And my first calls were the same, a faulk then a sure shot. Lanyards were just any old string we could find.
Sure wish I had those carrylites back again, They were great for pack in hunts.

Hope everyone has a productive "off season"

... As far as bean hooks, I remember them well. The ones we had had a cutting head on them that looked like a shiny metal cowboy boot when you stood them up. The top curve of the boot would have been the razor sharp edge and the "heel" would have also had a sharp edge to stab at weeds with..... We would catch grasshoppers on the way down to the crick and catch bluegills or bullhead..... The greatest way in the world to grow up.
Dave, it seems we lived parallel lives !! Partly anyway! LOL Thanks for the reminder about all the great times... Best, Brian

What memories you brought back to me after reading this great story of yours. Thanks so much. I, too, wish your dear friend God's Peace during this time of his life.
It is amazing how one sentence or a sight/sound will spring to life a memory that has been etched in stone from years past. I'm so glad you wrote about it.
Al

Hi Tim, My Name is John Ehlers, from Traverse City MI. I think i hunted over one of your decoys this season as part of a traveling block from another forum. This guy look familiar?
a37cddb9.jpg

Nice to meet the man behind the decoy. i enjoyed your memories, similar to mine, i was the only hunter in the family and spent my youth chasing rabbits squirrels and ducks with a hodgepodge of equipment begged borrowed and stolen. prayers for your brother in law.

John, that's actually one of my cork decoys and I'm glad you got a chance to hunt over it. Hope it was a good season for you.

Dave Church

John, that's actually one of my cork decoys and I'm glad you got a chance to hunt over it. Hope it was a good season for you.

Dave Church

it was a great season, and thanks for the opurtunity. a slow season, my son and i only got to hunt a dozen times and took no more than 90 birds but man did we have a good time when we were out, wouldn't trade it!

Oh boy memories. My first deer tag was bought with money earned gleaning corn behind the pickers. Funny- I left the gunny sacks of corn in the field and Dad fronted me the cash to by the tag. One of my uncles from the city almost road shot one of my corn bags thinking it was a deer laying down in the field. My first few duck hunts were "wet wading" until I scrapped enough together for a pair of LaCross hippers.

Back