To Pod or not to Pod...That is the Question

Tom Roberts

I know this topic has been discussed many times and I've looked through a bunch of old threads on the topic and get all sort of conflicting opinions. I've got a Tracker Grizzlie 1648 with a 2 stroke 60hp Evinrude. I know this is a bit over powered for this boat but I've had the boat reenforced with new/additional welds and support structures. I understand the potential benefits which brings me to why I'm considering this upgrade (downgrade?). My biggest concern has to do with performance in choppy/rough water. Will pods prevent me from keeping my bow high enough to negotiate high waves? I don't make a point to put myself in bad water situations but one never knows. The leveling effect the pods will have in shallow water with my 60hp is really attractive to me. Anybody out there have a definitive answer for me based on first hand experience?

Tom- I had a 16-48 Jon boat that I installed pods on a few years back. I marked the waterline on the boat with me and my normal duck hunting gear without the pods, then after the pods had been installed. Not much difference standing still. The pods did get the boat on plane faster, and it did hold the bow down. I did have a problem in rougher weather with the bow taking on water after the pods had been installed.

Bottom line is I would not install Pods again. I now have an 18' boat with a 60 hp Yamaha. Much better, no comparison the 16-Pod Jon boat.

I know giving advice is easy, but I would recommend an 18' boat.

Miller

Thanks James.........I would like to get an 18 footer some day. My problem with that is I'm not sure I can get it in my garage for storage. That and the cost of getting one. I was afraid the pods would keep the bow down in rough water. Most of the time my 16 footer is all I need but on those days when you get caught on a windy day I start wishing I had a bigger/wider boat.

Interesting, that it didn't make a difference on your water line.

I talked with a Mississippi guide and he said it brought the backend of his 24' boat up 4 inches when fully loaded with customers.

I have a 19' full vee boat I wanted to add them on, but opted out for an 8hp kicker. I wanted to get on plane faster, float my backend up when at rest, and have a dog platform for getting in an out of the boat.

All- I was surprised that my boat did not float higher too. My measurement was about an inch. They did work well for my dog, and also helped getting in and out of my boat in the marsh. But other than helping to get on plane faster, the boats performance went downhill. Harder to corner, and I had to reduce speed in choppy waters to prevent water from coming over the bow. The pods were installed per manufactures recommendations with the edge welded to meet the bottom transom, and the pods angled up, (I don't remember the manufactures recommended angle, but they didn't angle downward).

Maybe my boat configuration was the culprit. But my experience was mostly negative.

Miller

This is the kind of conflicting opinions I've run into. Many seem to really love the difference they make by raising the transom/motor, leveling of boat, shallower water capabilities, quicker planing, convenience for hunter/dog, even some claim more stability. My biggest fear is how the boat reacts in rough water and can I keep my bow up to avoid water coming over. I talked to a Beavertail rep and he didn't think the bow issue would be a problem especially if you have tilt and trim. So I will probably give it a try. I hunt a place where I cross a wide stretch of the Arkansas River that can be bad especially with a north wind. Once I get across then I got to negotiate shallow water and mud flats where the potential shallow water capabilities of the pods would really come in handy.

Back