Totally NDR: TV Antenna???

Carl

Staff member
We dont have cable or a dish, dont watch enough tv to justify the $$ and we can get around 20 stations with an antenna anyway.
But rabbit ears just aint cutting it with our new TV. It worked well with our old CRT TV and converter box, but not too good with the new flatscreen with the digital reciever.
So I am looking for a new indoor antenna.
Based on what I have seen online, there are some damn good but not expensive indoor antennas out there.
The Terk FDTV2 and AntennasDirect C1C both have good reviews and are pretty reasonable.
Anyone out there using an indoor antenna and have some other options/opinions?
Thanks!

Last edited:
We dont have cable or a dish, dont watch enough tv to justify the $$ and we can get around 20 stations with an antenna anyway.
But rabbit ears just aint cutting it with our new TV. It worked well with our old CRT TV and converter box, but not too good with the new flatscreen with the digital reciever.
So I am looking for a new indoor antenna.
Based on what I have seen online, there are some damn good but not expensive indoor antennas out there.
The Terk TV4 and AntennasDirect C1C both have good reviews and are pretty reasonable.
Anyone out there using an indoor antenna and have some other options/opinions?
Thanks!

Throw the TV out - easy.

Nah, I watch enough to want to keep it. And movies on a 55" LCD are fantastic.
Plus how would I watch Season 3 of Downton Abbey or Antiques Road Show without it??

Plus how would I watch Season 3 of Downton Abbey or Antiques Road Show without it??

You won't miss it, trust me.

Carl,

I bought an RCA antenna at Walmart for $15 and it works great on my GF's CRT TV with converter box. I don't think you have to spend much to get a quality picture. I still have cable myself but I was really surprised at the quality of the picture on her TV.

You won't miss it, trust me.

We've been without a TV signal for years. We have a projector for videos but not a single boob-tube in the house...wouldn't want it back.

Hope that helps...

Chuck

I googled "best indoor tv antenna" and got this:

http://www.gomohu.com/?gclid=CMqLrsPdxa4CFYhrKgodF2GZUw

Now my dad used to have one of us touch the antenna then turn our bodies or move our arms until the picture was just right..."THATS IT!! NOW DON"T MOVE!

My brother seemed to be perfectly tuned to pick up channel 7 in Detroit if he held up the tin foil with his left hand.

we used to throw beer cans at it for adjustment back in college! Come to think of it, that's how we changed channels too. Trip

William

I also have not had a tv signal for some time now, do not really miss it. We have a library card and a small collection of movies. The kids are good with watching movies over and over, but papa and mama are about over that and have been through most of the library collection. i would like to do the netflix thing, but do not have a game controller to run it through, and do not want to buy one. Can it be run through the computer? Our other issue is that we do not have a hard line internet connection and can not get one where we are located. We use a wireless modem pleugged into the computer, but our signal is low-mid strength. Can this work with netflix? Thanks!

Streaming video from Netflix takes a lot of bandwidth. I think you will need to boost your signal strength or get a hard-line or you will be very dissapointed in the quality..

I made on of these when I got an HDTV http://www.tvantennaplans.com/ it cost me all of 3 bucks. I stuck it in my attic and ran a cable down to the TV. It worked surprizingly well. Ended up getting cable because there were some shows that we did not get that my wife wanted watch. This website will tell you where all the towers are from your house and what channels are available. http://www.antennaweb.org/Address.aspx

Carl
Go to antennaweb.org and put in your zip code to find the location of stations on the map. The max. distance of the station you want to get should help with the selection of your antenna. Also, your location will determine the height required to get the stations you want. There are omni directional antennas you can get. Mounting location can be in the attic. You need to consider if you want more than one TV to use it. You should look at the distance of cable runs and splitters used to get an idea of the amount of signal loss from the antenna to TV. You may need the amount of amplification to account the calculated signal loss. However, I have heard you can hook up the antenna wire to a coat hanger on the outside of the house to get good reception.

Try hooking your computer to the tv. Since you have a new tv and if you have a newer computer you can watch quite a few shows from the internet. Just need an hdmi cable.

I should have also told you that you need a high speed internet connection or the picture will always be buffering which is a fancy word for stopping and starting.

I put a new antenna & rotor on top of the old tower for $150.00. Great picture no monthly cost.
Avoid the small antennas they do well for UHF but don't pick up VHF stations very well.

Back