transom

Robert Kelleher

I have a question, and I wonder if someone has a little advice. I have been looking at the Scaup plans and at other boats. I noticed one boat where the transom was not fully cutout. I have seen the same thing in a lot of the shellfishing boats here on the Cape. Would it add to the strength of the boat to do the same thing and are there reasons not to do it?

I have a question, and I wonder if someone has a little advice. I have been looking at the Scaup plans and at other boats. I noticed one boat where the transom was not fully cutout. I have seen the same thing in a lot of the shellfishing boats here on the Cape. Would it add to the strength of the boat to do the same thing and are there reasons not to do it?

I don't have a clear picture of what you are asking. When you say transom do you mean where the motor is mounted or do you mean the rear of the pods or the sponsoons (the very back of the boat as designed)?

T

I see you are on the cape, there is a black brant in Marstons Mills if you want to look at a similar boat (but smaller) to the scaup.

T

Robert,
I also am not real clear on what you are talking about. If you mean mounting the motor on the extreme aft w/o a motor well cutout as on a Scaup there used to be pictures of a Scaup built in Fla by a guy named Buzz Glade I think (real name?? ) BUT he was extremely dissapointed in the boat the way he built it. If you are talking about a true motor well design I got nothing for you. I've seen them but know nothing. Good luck and let us all know.

He may be talking about this;

[inline "Resized_Sim1 001.jpg"]

Sorry, the picture showed up in the preview but not in the post. I'll try to correct this later, have to get back to work now, break is over.

Last edited:
Robert,
I also am not real clear on what you are talking about. If you mean mounting the motor on the extreme aft w/o a motor well cutout as on a Scaup there used to be pictures of a Scaup built in Fla by a guy named Buzz Glade I think (real name?? ) BUT he was extremely dissapointed in the boat the way he built it. If you are talking about a true motor well design I got nothing for you. I've seen them but know nothing. Good luck and let us all know.

My guess is he is asking about keeping the piece of wood partially complete between the sponsoons (last bulkkhead, this would be one station behind the transom and the rear of the boat), but I'm not sure. You do see that done sometimes.

The boats I saw in Alaska were all aluminum and built like tanks. We saw them beached at Clam Gulch tied up and left high by the tides. I think they were local built but wouldn't swear to it. Good Luck.

Robert ,

You will need to figure out what you may use for a motor long or short shaft , i do not have the measurements here now but also think about a following sea out there on the cape . I would look into making the transom high for the following seas but not to high that a long shaft motor will have cavitation problems underway , i hope that this is what you mean . Good luck and congrats on the build you will not regret it !

Dave m

Back