Trying to decide between broadbill/bluebill

Tod~

Here is the site I used:

http://navcen.uscg.gov/...Name=navRulesContent

My memory dims daily, but I am pretty sure the OB-mounted stern light I recall was on a Bay Constable (Town) boat....

All the best,

SJS

OK, I was there when you posted the above :).

This is what I've always understood.... (a) describes the requirements for all power driven and (c) describes the exemption for vessels less than 12 m. Which means that you need sidelights and a masthead and sternlight to get 360 OR sidelights and an all-round light if you duckboat is less than 12m.

I'd love to be wrong and I'm happy to admit that I don't read government pubs or legaleze well.

(a) A power-driven vessel underway shall exhibit (click on icon to see picture:)
(i) a masthead light forward;
(ii) a second masthead light abaft of and higher than the forward one; except that a vessel of less than 50 meters in length shall not be obliged to exhibit such a light but may do so;
(iii) sidelights: and
(iv) a sternlight.

(c | d) (i) A power-driven vessel of less than 12 meters in length may in lieu of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule exhibit an all-round white light and sidelights.

My memory dims daily, but I am pretty sure the OB-mounted stern light I recall was on a Bay Constable (Town) boat....

All the best,

SJS

The OB-mounted light is popular down south, especially FL in my impression. It is a cool idea and would be great. I've always thought that the post had to be taller than the operator of a duckboat to be 100% legal for the all-round light to be 360. Either way, it is a small detail and even smaller if you are a short guy that can get away with a 4' mast for the all-round light. :). The larger issue for me is that with an all-round light mounted lowish it can harm night vision. Better to be very low and not 100% legal and out of the line of sight or well above eye-level not harming night vision.

Last edited:
Tod~

I agree with your reading - and I checked NYS lit and it supported that reading. I am fairly certain, though, that the "masthead light" is a relatively new requirement for boats < 12m (I left salt water in 1994....). Also, I am fairly certain I have never seen an open boat with an all-around stern light tall enough to not be blocked by the helmsman, etc....

Looks like I need to start designing a tuna tower for my Sneakbox....

...or, row it or sail it.....and keep my big flashlight handy (my lifelong SOP in gunning boats)

All the best,

SJS

Tod~

I agree with your reading - and I checked NYS lit and it supported that reading. I am fairly certain, though, that the "masthead light" is a relatively new requirement for boats < 12m (I left salt water in 1994....). Also, I am fairly certain I have never seen an open boat with an all-around stern light tall enough to not be blocked by the helmsman, etc....

Looks like I need to start designing a tuna tower for my Sneakbox....

...or, row it or sail it.....and keep my big flashlight handy (my lifelong SOP in gunning boats)

All the best,

SJS

Don't think I don't agree with your observations, mine are generally similar.

My all-round light on my Snowgoose is legal, but that is because I'm: 1) overly anal, 2) short and 3) had a perfect place to put the long light post where a shorter more common size would actually not work as well for storage.

It isn't for me such a big deal for everyone to conform to the regs as for everyone to be aware of the exact regs and they can make an honest informed decision to break them.

Theres no confusion if you run without lights. Haha.

I have an aluminum box too. I like it, but, when i got it home and tested it It filled up so fast with water the sea trial had to be abandoned, thank god i knew a great welder (unfortunatly he moved back to iowa, he said the deer here are too small). Next time i want a custom boat i'll learn to weld and do it my self.

Thanks for the responses, now we just need to start a separate thread about lights... ;) hijackers! Haha

Last edited:
Paul,

Two boats is easier, first is the Broadbill, second, slightly tougher is the BB3 or Snowgoose depending on water conditions. Snowgoose gets the nod for coastal waters needing a bit more seaworthiness while the BB3 hides better and I believe take less power. With your Lund you'd have it pretty much covered unless you want a layout or scull ;^)

Scott

Ugh, don't I know it. One more expensive subhobby that I didn't need! Thanks duckboats.net! LOL

Tod, Great point on the vision aspect. My Broadbill had a long pole (about 4 ') with a notch that I used for retrieving decoys. I fastened a LED stern light to it on the other end and it served both purposes. It was amazing how well you could see with that little light well overhead and it saved space in the boat. John

Thanks for the responses, now we just need to start a separate thread about lights... ;) hijackers! Haha

You won't stick around if you don't like hijacks. :). That is our hallmark here and always the best stuff on the forum (myself excluded, of course).

Scott,
I also have an aluminum Bluebill. Did the same thing of pushing the motor all the way back to the rear instead of the way the original plans were laid out. I found that the change of the C.G. causes the boat to porpoise when I tilt up on the motor to get more shallow. Does yours do the same thing?
I added some custom made pods, but I have not yet tested them. As you know Ct. froze up early this year.

O.P,
I would go with the Bluebill, more room with a planning hull. With my 9.9 Hp motor I can go 20 mph loaded with gear, me and my 55lb dog.

Scott,
I also have an aluminum Bluebill. Did the same thing of pushing the motor all the way back to the rear instead of the way the original plans were laid out. I found that the change of the C.G. causes the boat to porpoise when I tilt up on the motor to get more shallow. Does yours do the same thing?
I added some custom made pods, but I have not yet tested them. As you know Ct. froze up early this year.

O.P,
I would go with the Bluebill, more room with a planning hull. With my 9.9 Hp motor I can go 20 mph loaded with gear, me and my 55lb dog.

Cool. I have chosen the bluebill already, It will be the stitch and glue variety though.

Tanner, Mine's based off the Broadbill which was designed with the full transom. I haven't seen any propensity to porpoise at any trim. This is what the hull looked like when tacked together ready for welding. Last 6' is as flat as the angles can keep it, for no rocker at all in the back 1/2. Who made you Bluebill?

Scott

View attachment scotts boat 002.JPG

If you are a large guy, I can see why you would would make the decision. I think we have had at least 2 large guys build broadbills (one built 2) over the years, but they don't post anymore. I don't know if anyone here would know what they thought. Maybe post up with a title "Broadbill for a big guy?" - I'm serious.

Not sure if it's me you are referring too but I still stalk the site, just not as frequent with two kids these days. Still love the broadbill. I added height to the side (I can't remember how much) and love it. It's a small boat that likes power. It does need epoxy every year or two as mentioned. It's still going strong.

Some of you might remember this:

If you are a large guy, I can see why you would would make the decision. I think we have had at least 2 large guys build broadbills (one built 2) over the years, but they don't post anymore. I don't know if anyone here would know what they thought. Maybe post up with a title "Broadbill for a big guy?" - I'm serious.

Not sure if it's me you are referring too.
Yes, one of them. :). Good to see you are around. T

Back