Vintage Gunning Box

Kris,

Hello! No Sir, those decoys are simple canvas stretched over cedar. The cedar and canvas are each sealed for water resistance.

Eric Patterson said:
SJ

I don't know about that. You guys are a lot more creative than me, and I tend to get analysis paralysis at times. Also, I tend to think this is one of those projects where the vintage look comes heavily into play so being able to do precision work isn't really that much of a plus.

Eric

Eric, I feel as though I am one of those "classic over-thinkers," too. Yup, a vintage look appeals to me as well. My first box, which I made about 2006, is beginning to take on that look. It has some dings and some stains on it, now. But it has already captured so many memories for me, I love using it.

Eric,

We'll see if the files come through...Dad took some pictures of his Poygan box for me. The box itself is about 15" long, 7.5 -8" wide, and about 12" tall to the top of the gun cradle.

In keeping with the theme of "utilitarian", this one was built with a drawer that slides out from the end. Because the drawer has box joints, Dad figures the guy had this box and built a Poygan box around it...it was big enough for a box or two of shells, his gloves, and calls. He didn't put a latch on the drawer, but instead offset the carrying handle on the top so the box was carried at an angle to prevent the drawer from sliding out....German/Scandinavian frugality at its finest.

Painted green, just like the boat, oars, and anything else. Also, note the bottom board is wider than the rest of the box to give it some stability.

View attachment IMG_3596.HEICView attachment IMG_3600.HEICView attachment IMG_3601.HEICView attachment IMG_3597.HEICView attachment IMG_3598.HEIC

Last edited:
Rick

I can't see them. They are .heic files that some phones create. For the rest of the world to see them you'll need to open them in paint and save them as .jpg and reupload. I know, a pita. Don't you love it when big companies don't play with the rest of the established world? You can change your phone settings to save pictures as .jpg instead of heic.

Thanks.

Eric

Last edited:
Back