vizsla dog ?

D. Moreau

I have a 9 year old female vizsla that is... afraid of her own shadow - to put it lightly. Shes always been afraid of loud noises, rain (big time), wind thats blowing too loud, and gunshots (among other things). Shes very picky about being around other dogs, and only is excited to see 2 dogs when they come around... shes been a great 40 pound lap dog though, and a real pleasure to be around... has only barked once or twice {but wimpers at the table a lot :)} and takes a while to get used to other people (my cuz who has been over a lot this past season to pick me up has just started to get on my dogs "ok" list) and the biggest thing that bugs me is she is ALWAYS following someone around the house (she can NEVER be alone out of her cage)

From the same breeder, we hooked up a friend of our's to get a male vizslah, complete opposite of my dog. He's hyper, active, and barks a TON - but still has that "following" effect

I was wondering if anyone of you guys had/have a vizsla that does the same thing? All the vizsla's I have met (again from the same breeder) have this trait...

heres some pics of her from earlier this year

View attachment mmm.jpg
View attachment 100_1807.JPG

Last edited:
I've got a lab that it terribly gun shy and hates feathers in his mouth. I get my own ducks and he loves to go fishing with me. Some dogs just don't have it in them. Other ones take to it natural.

My brother runs vizsla's for Upland hunting. Great dogs to hunt over and he never had any problems with being gun shy. He did say while training that you did not have to be hard on them when it came to correcting them.

The Vizsla I had was never gun shy, he could be protective and was not what I'd call a tough dog. Who he loved he did love. I wouldn't say he was a follower but he did like to be around his people. In the field he was a close working dog but that is what they are suppose to be. Never barked much unless a squirrel was at the bird feeder.
He was a great 40lb (well maybe 50lb) lap dog. He needed his walks or stay out of his way when he butt tucked. :)

Vizslas have been getting too much pet attention and a lot of breeders are just interested in that market. When "new" things are showing up in one of the oldest breeds of hunting dog you know something is up. Wirehaired? Some are very big now too. Very cool dog and as a house dog they are great but boy it would have to be a perfect background for me to want another one.

picnippit.jpg

Tim

My girl dog, Sam, is a mutt but they believe part Vizla...she is about 14 years old. She's a barker, is VERY territorial towards other dogs in HER yard or house and always has been, would show a stranger to the family silver, always wanted to be around my dad or brother and followed them around a good deal. In her old age though, she's gotten very "clingy". She wants to be curled up right next to you if you're laying down on the couch or on your bed, if she can get up there. She follows me everywhere in the house and is about three steps behind me. I guess she's just getting old and wants the lovin, or needs the comfort of someone with her.

She's a sweetie though

Dani

I had a large male. He was a great dog. He would bark a warning when someone was at the door.Never was scared of anything, even thunderstorms did not bother him.. He would defenitely not let me out of his site if possible..He liked to play alot, and had boat loads of energy.. A lap dog he was not, he probably weighed 60 lbs, and rarely sat still...He was a beautiful site locked up hard on a bird.. I miss ya J.R..

Back