wadder help ! !

Chris S.

I am looking to buy new wadders. The wadders I used last year were ok but I still got really cold feet. I had 3.5mil neoprene with 600gram in the boots and my legs were ok but my feet would freeze. At the end of the season I started to use the foot warmers and that helped so much but on really cold days still had cold feet. I spoke to a few guys on here about this and got some good ideas. I will be hunting out of a sneakbox or pondbox and won't be walking as much. So I was looking at cabelas, I like the 1600 and the 1200. Both are 5mil so that's a step up from the 3.5 I have now. Will jumping up to the 1200 be enough or should I go for the 1600? Would the extra 400 grams in the 1600 rather then the 1200 do a whole lot? I am leaning more to the 1600. I don't think in december with 30mph wind I will say man I wish I got the 1200 boots these 1600 are to warm. Also on warmer days I can always use the 600 gram boots I have.

My other question is, Someone on this site told me to go with the 1600 hip boots. Any thoughts on hip boots over chest waders? My only thing with hip boots is getting a wet but and I feel chest waders will be all around warmer. One last question do the stout waders have a lot more room in them? I am as my mom tells me a little on the fluffy side. I have never had stout waders but would like more room. Any thoughts and recomendations are always welcome. Thanks!

Well, I have had 800 and 1200 LaCrosse, and have the 1600 Drake LST. Never been cold in any of them. All 5mm... used in temps down to -5. If you are prone to getting cold...get 5mm and the 1600. I wear 1 pair of either Danner, Fox River, or Cabelas coolmax.

I like the waist waders.... but it never fails I will find a hole, and go over the top, so I like the chest waders....

I stopped wearing hip boots about 20-25 years ago. No reason to have them unless you are walking a lot. From what you have said, I wonder if it's the waders that are making you cold or the lack of proper clothing on the rest of your body. Do not under any circumstances wear any cotton except maybe your briefs. On your feet only polypro undersock and wool on top of it. Long underwear - merino wool under wool pants. Same with your upper body plus something on top to break the wind. AND most importantly - wear a good hat, neck gater, and balaclava. The neck gater and balaclava alone will change the apparent comfort level by 20-30 degrees. It's got to be down in the single digits before I even start to get cold any more.

I agree with Pete, it is a total package..

My kids game me a pair of electric socks one Christmas and was not sure what to make of them. But I used them, cut the battery pack off and extended the wires until I could place the battery pack in the pocket on my chest waders. After a long cold windy day, and the chills starts, I switch them on for 10 minutes or more and get the feet warm.....makes a huge difference during that last couple of hours. I only use them if the temps are well below zero.

Matt

I do ware the poly sock liners and wool over that I got the socks with the little toe pockets for the warmers they are great as far as my body I ware poly long jon pants an under armor shirt then long jon shirt no cotton at all my body stays warm just the feet my dad and brother are the same way my dad said he just has cold feet but I hope the warmer waders help thanks guys

Chris, I just bought new waders this past season... I had gotten a dozen years out of my 600 gram 3.5mm waders and a good 20 years out of the rubber/canvas, but both failed early in the season. I borrowed some of the 5mm 1600g Cabela's waders, and thought they were a little big on me they were very comfortable. So I ordered a pr for myself, and ordered the Stout besides. As they were on back order, I went to Dick's and found some local, but they did not have stout and were 3.5mm.... what a difference! I wore the 3.5mm today for the river clean up, and with nothing under them, they were more comfortable, but still like stuffing a sausage to get in them.

The Stout wadders are so comfortable. I can properly layer under them, and the foot is large enough to get 2 pr of socks in them. That is key, get them big enough! The last pr I had was a boot size 8, and I normally wear a 10. But where we used to hunt, we walked alot, and the mud will suck your boots off. I had wadders that stayed on, but I could only get 1 pr of socks in them, and perhaps they were tight even then.... did not realize it until I got the size 10 stout. Now 2pr of socks, and very comforatble feet.

Hope that helps...

Dave

Thanks dave I am going to get the cabelas 1600 stout size 10's I got a size 10 last time and they were perfect I could get sock liners and 2 good pair of socks with enough wiggle room for the toes I got the waist waders I love em not bulky its like wearing pants wish they made them in 1200 or 1600 and 5 mil thanks again

Get the stouts, they fit like the old regular size waders, not a body condom.
You need room in the boots for circulation to keep your feet warm especially if wearing 2 pairs of socks, I usually get 1 size over.
1200 or 1600, your choice, but if you can get a better deal on the 1200, they'll still be warm enough.

Just something to consider. When your feet sweat and your socks and the inside of your boots are wet, your feet will probably be cold. You might want to try the "poor man's vapor barrier boot." I have a pair of vapor barrier socks but normally use those thin produce bags from the grocery store .... i have also used bread bags to cover a thin pair of cotton socks. Over bag I put my thick socks. I do this whenever the temperature will be below 30 degrees. Yes, the inner sock will be wet, but the thick outer sock will remain dry and your feet warm. Taught this when doing cold weather survival training when stationed in Alaska.

I hunt with breathable waders, Cabela's stout with no insulation in the foot. Easy to get on and off and light weight. My coldest day hunting so far was 5 degrees.

This is just a thought that you might want to try. Take care, R.Bell

Chest waders all the way. Hip's are for walkers. You will be much warmer, I'd go with the 1600's a good wader belt and a new inflatable pfd.
I landed up in the water twice last fall ,the belt and pfd made for a good camp story. Here in NY pfd must be worn after Nov !st.
Good Luck!

I'll add another thumbs up for the Cabela's Ultimate waders - 5 mm & 1600 grams of Thinsulate in the boot. I got 7 years of hard use out of the last pair before the seam in the crotch finally started leaking. That's outstanding durability for a neoprene wader.

I also agree with the proper layering sock system. I use a thin polypropelene sock with a wool/synthetic sock over and fleece wader pants over UA cold gear long underwear and that system has served me well for many years. Some people still struggle with being cold even with this system due to poor circulation, etc. so I recommend the foot warmers that attach to the outer layer of socks underneath the feet. If that doesn't do it, well....I was taught that if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all so I won't. :)

Last edited:
I think the 1600's will do the trick and maybe the warmers on really cold days thanks for all the imput guys

Last edited:
Here's something to consider. Lacrosse used to make a wader booty. They are calf high and made of thick fleece. You wear them over street socks, no hunting sock needed. I don't think they make them anymore but I took a pair of the apart and made a pattern so I can sew my own. If you can find a pair try them. If you can sew I can trace the patterns and send it to you.

As for waders I use Hogman breathables with the zipper front. Long underwear, pants and fleece wader pants and I good for anything in wisconsin.

Back