Wader Purchase

dave young

Fixin' to buy a new pair of waders...................I think I want breathables. Can't decide between Drake or Orvis.
Would appreciate any Opinions/Suggestions.

Thanks,
Dave

I chose Cabela's because of the price point... $130 on sale. Plus they were Cabela's brand which I know they will stand behind.

I know that doesn't help you given the brands you are looking at, but I believe both companies are great and stand behind their products

Thanks for the advice.......................and believe me, I'm not the kind who would buy anything for the label, but I do like the idea of the lace/strap boots for the ankle support.
I will certainly look more closely at the Cabelas waders.

Thanks again,

Dave

You're right, Cabelas will stand behind their product, as long as your expectations are reasonable but they have started a new return policy on the first of the year, and now are revising it to be even more stringent so as to bring them in kine with the rest of the industry. The days of swapping out 3 year old waders no questions asked are going away.

Fixin' to buy a new pair of waders...................I think I want breathables. Can't decide between Drake or Orvis.
Would appreciate any Opinions/Suggestions.

Thanks,
Dave Either one of those would be fine. Breathables will be lighter. Neoprine warmer, but can snag on things and need repair. Some of the old style, like Red Ball or the like are more like canvas covered with rubber. Those are not as warm, but tough as wood pecker lips. The stocking foot style of neoprene are the kind that you wear felt bottom boots with. Those are nice, but the stocking part of the wader needs to be treated carefully as they will tear. I personlly used a pair of Red Ball waders for more than twenty years. I finally bought myself a new pair of neoprine ones because I convinced myself I needed a cammo pattern (just an excuse). I got the kind with a zipper in the front. Boy does that make them easy to put on. It is also very handy because I drink a LOT of coffee. That's another story. The type of waders I have cost a lot, but its all about comfort when you get past fifty years old. What I suggest you do is poll your friends and see what they have. Ask to borrow them (if they fit) and go jump in the river with them. It won't take long before you find what you want. Climb into your boat with them, climb over a fence with them, walk around in them or whatever. Don't just stand there looking at them in the mirror. If you have ever humped a bag of decoys 1/2 mile you will appreciate a good fit in the boots. The part about duck hunting that is backwards (to my way of thinking) is that you have to dress lightly so you can get all sweaty by the time you get to your blind, then sit motionless for hours until your toes fall off. Too bad waders do not come with thermostats. If you take the cost of a pair of waders and divide it over say ten years, they are really pretty cheap. Good luck, Dave

Back