Wader recommendations .....please!

Dave Church

Looking for my first pair of neoprene waders and could use some input on what you have, what you like, what you dont like. My canvas waders are done. I have repaired them several times in the past few weeks and when I went out today, it was like I was just standing in jeans. I think they have dry rotted and any bending or stretching just tears the rubber. I need something that is full length, not a convertible, has a belt, rugged enough for kneeling on sticks and rocks, warm enough down to 15 degrees, boot foot, with built in shoulder straps, and a front pocket would be nice I guess. Any ideas would be appreciated.

dc

Last edited:
Cabelas Mag 1600 have been improved got a pair last season best waders I have ever owned

Last edited:
Anybody like the Columbia waders? I've heard mixed reviews on the Cabelas and I've heard a couple of horror stories on the Drake with leaking and bad customer service.

dc

I have the cabelas mag 1600 and I like them for comfort and they are very warm. I just cannot Stand the plastic buckles. Got the waders last year and already broke one. I like waders that have Velcro so you can role them down to the waist and Velcro them like a belt to hold them up. Velcro is also easier to adjust when wearing more or less layers than the straps and are more comfortable at the chest. My next pair will be Columbias for that reason

I have the cabelas mag 1600 and I like them for comfort and they are very warm. I just cannot Stand the plastic buckles. Got the waders last year and already broke one. I like waders that have Velcro so you can role them down to the waist and Velcro them like a belt to hold them up. Velcro is also easier to adjust when wearing more or less layers than the straps and are more comfortable at the chest. My next pair will be Columbias for that reason

wear the velcro ones everday you wont like them so much the velcro wears out quick

Last edited:
I like buckles and straps for that reason too. My hunting partner wore out the velcro in a two year period.
The cold up here demands the 5 mm. I am still using a pair of Cabelas that are over 10 years now. They have many AquaSeal repairs in the seams but no puncture wounds. Hunted deer and ducks with them.

I am looking at a pair of Macks right now to replace them.
I like the old wool liner that was removable, but most dont offer it any more.

I had Lacrosse 5mm brush tuffs that lasted 8 years and I am hard on waders.(used for chasing pheasant to in thorny marshy swamps, plus crawling over around and thru all type of nasty cover) They wore like iron but were a bit stiff with the Cordura shell.They were also mucho $

I just ordered a set of 3.5mm Columbia's with a improved strechy type cordura. I should have them by Monday. Will let you know how I like them.

Last edited:
Dave ,

The Cabelas armorflex waders are the best i have owned , after 7 years i am just now adding glue to the inside boot lining but the rest wear like iron . good luck !!

Dave

I just bought the cabelas 1600 mags never used em yet but thet seem pretty rugged and have a front pocket with a few compartments. My feet get cold quick so I am hoping the 1600 gram boots keep my footies warm this season

if you have an inseam longer than 30 inches LaCrosse makes a wader or used to in King Size. It added several more inches in leg length, it is a big deal so you don't stretch out the crotch on them quickly. Walking, standing up, sitting down, in and out of boats all stretch the crotch on standard waders and cuts the years down on them quickly. If I was going to replace my 8 year old LaCrosse waders I would go with the DriPlus type of material instead of Neopreme for 3/4 my hunting just for comfort.

I had always liked the Cabelas waders and the ones with the felt boot liners would last me 6 hard years.
My buddie got some with the velcro and fought them all the time. I got a pair of LL Bean 5mm waders
3 years ago and they are great. They have straps with a slide lock buckle that is on your chest away
from your shoulder. Very comfortable,priced about the same as the Cabelas, and shipping is free.
Their customer service is second to none!! Just my .02 John

Dave, the Cabela's are the way to go thet are comfortable and if you have any problems they switch'em out without any hassle.

Thanks all for the info. I was able to actually put my eyes and hands on a pair of Columbia waders this weekend (which is more than I could do with Redhead, Cabelas, Drake, etc.) and really liked them. I have ordered a pair and will see how they work out. I saw alot of love on here for the Cabelas waders and I always seem to be the guy that goes against the grain. I will let you know how they turn out. Thanks again and good luck this season.

dc

Ok, Columbias are already heading back. They are just too snug or I'm too big. There is very little room in them to stuff my wader coat inside and my coat HAS to be inside. I tried on several pairs yesterday and settled on the Drake LST EQuader. Very roomy above the waist and the boots have belts to tighten down around your ankle to keep them from slipping when pulling out of mud. I will let you know how the season goes. Anybody else using them?

dc

Back