Waders for Kids

Tim Lucas

Ok guys, I am fairly new to the site and the sport. I just rebuilt a 16' wooden skiff and made a blind for it. I am taking my two youth hunters out with me on Saturday and because we have to cross deep water I am looking for advise on having them in waders. Can you tell me if the neoprene waders will float. If not, will a person float with a life jacket even though their waders whether rubber or neoprene may be full of water. Looking for some sound advice. Thanks

Kids should always wear a life jacket in boats, just like adults.

The neoprene will float but doesn't displace a lot of water. You will float with wet waders as well as you will without them, not very well. Don't ask me how I know.

Neoprene will float but you still want a lifejacket on to float head up. If you have a belt on rubber waders they will float too because of trapped air. A proper sized PFD should float the wearer unless they have all the shells and decoy weights in their pockets.

As Lee said, a wader belt is important. With that and a PFD you'll float like a cork.

You can make an inexpensive wader belt by going to the hardware store, buying a few feet of 2" nylon webbing and a plastic buckle.

Rick

BTW, you might want to get one for yourself also. It will keep the methane from rising straight to your nose, which is a real liability with neoprene waders.

Back