Watrfowling Bucket List

Richard Strauss

Before I get the opportunity to go scout and hunt in the afterlife, I would like to do a few things concerning my sport.

Hunt out of a sink box in Canada.
Own a Goliath
Own a Barnegut Bay Sneakbox, wood, traditional.
Carve my own decoys and hunt over them out of a BB Sneakbox I restored or built myself
Follow the flock one year from Canada to South America, hunting all along the way.
Own a scull boat

Last edited:
Before I get the opportunity to go scout and hunt in the afterlife, I would like to do a few things concerning my sport.

Hunt out of a sink box in Canada.
Own a Goliath
Own a Barnegut Bay Sneakbox, wood, traditional.
Carve my own decoys and hunt over them out of a BB Sneakbox I restored or built myself
Follow the flock one year from Canada to South America, hunting all along the way.
Own a scull boat

It just so happens that I have a used Brant II scull boat for sale. I'll be listing it in the classified soon and holler if you're ready to check-off one of your bucket list items. ;)
Lou

own a reliable double gun to shoot with out of a duck boat as mentioned above over an all carved rig.

1. get my Stevens 311's firing pins redone so I can take it out again...the custom wood worth more than the gun
2. Get my Marsh Hawk and trailer ready for next duck season and hunt over my old handmade corkers once more
3. Get my damned arthritis under control so I can do the above.
4. Hunt the places I hunted in my younger and vigorous years once more, if only once apiece.
5. Manage a hunt with each of my old duck guns--the A-5 Magnum, the Model12 Heavy Duck.
6. Win the lottery so I can do all of the above,since social security ain't cutting it.

Have a repeat of 2003 through 2007. Would love the opportunity to shoot 9 banded ducks like I did in 03.
Other than that just want my body and mind to work so that I can hunt like wis boz!
Al

Get an old A5 that has some history, (one that preferably has spent more time in the marsh than me) then bring it to the gun smith to get high grade wood and a deep blueing

Watch call ducks work birds ( i dont care if im hunting or not)

Watch "birds that blacken the sky"

Shoot a swan in ct, pluck it, then stuff it in the oven to watch my moms reaction

Scull a black duck and a canvas back

Have a duck dog (my knees already dont like the marsh)

Hunting with a few of you guys

If i have kids watching them see the wonder in the outdoors and watching them get their first bird (also hoping that there are birds then)

Sculling a canvasback.....just doesn't seem right even though I know it would take skill.

Shoot from a curtain blind/sink box
Layout for cans/bills/read heads
Shoot a full plumage pintail
Shoot a cinnamon Teal
Hunt AK for Harleys and Barrow's

Hunt the Snake River
Build a layout boat
Build a scull boat
Canada
Shoot a specklebelly goose-very rare here
Shoot a 7 greenhead limit
Shoot a 2 canvasback, 3 bluebill, 2 redhead limit-all drakes (good luck with this one!)
Hunt the flooded timber
Hunt the flooded rice in California
Get my daughters into waterfowling
Build my wife a cedar strip canoe
Make my own decoy molds

That's my favorite thing about waterfowling, there is always a new goal or idea to try out! Ask me in a week and I could probably give you a whole new list.

Last edited:
I never really thought about a "Waterfowler's Bucket List" before, but there are a few things I would really like to do before, well you know.

#1 would be to shoot a Pintail. It's the only duck, (at least relatively common to our area), that I've never harvested.
#2 Shoot a banded Duck. I have over three dozen Goose bands, but 0 Duck bands. This is my thirty-ninth year of hunting. You would think the law of averages would catch up to me eventually...
#3, and probably the most desired by me. I would like to get ALL of my duck hunting "Stuff" together maybe out in the yard or someplace cool, and take a nice photo of it all. I have 5 boats, about 300 decoys of all shapes, sizes and species. Three field blinds, a field sled, and all of the related field hunting gear. Lots of clothing, old and new. A bunch of calls, several guns and probably just about as much other "stuff". A long time ago, I saw a photo similar to what I described in a magazine. I think it was actually someone famous for Duck Hunting at that time. I just don't remember who it was. I'll never forget it.

Thanks,

Jon

This is a great thread. Here is mine.

1.) Body Boot the Susqehanna Flats.
2.) Retire in a great duck hunting spot - NC, AR, Eastern Shore.
3.) Hunt coastal Texas.
4.) Make my guide service a reality.
5.) Hunt out of a curtain blind.
6.) Hunt the coastal marshes of Louisiana.
7.) Hunt at one of the great Louisiana duck clubs.
8.) Own a vintage Winchester Model 12 - I learned to hunt with that gun.

- Saskatchewan
- Swan
- Crane
- Snows

I can help with a couple of those, John.

I am not big on these lists because I could make one that would fill pages. Some cool thoughts...
  • Build a Devlin Honker - I have the plans :)
  • Hunt both coasts from it
  • Hunt with my sons from it
  • Get my wife to go with me - even just once

Jon,

I'm at a loss for number three...seems like a sure fire way to get the crock pot simmering (wife)

My wife is like - do you realize how much more time AND money you would have if you didn't duck hunt?

I'm like - yeah, so what's your point?!?!?

A scoter limit on the Lower Columbia.

A storm wigeon.

Finding some place to duck hunt in Texas, ha ha. (I'm near Dallas. Not much water around here, far cry from NW Oregon!)

Sinkboxes in Canada.

Man, if I could find a way to get back to the Pacific Northwest permanently, I could make the first two happen one way or another!

Mine include:
Killing a banded black duck
Traveling back west to hunt with two friends
Get a harlequin , barrows and pacific brant
Travel the eastern seaboard for eider and old squaw
Make the pilgrimage to Argentina for duck and dove

Back