Way NDR question for the SE Michigan Guys

Rutgers

Have any of you ever heard of or been to the Eastern Market? Heard about it and looked at their website and thinking about heading over there to try and peddle some wooden utensils. Kid of looking for information on the "atmosphere". Do you see people buing stuff. Is it a flea market type thing or more higher end etc. Any advice is appreciated. Sorry to take up space. and thanks!

Paully

Is this what you are talking about? Did you read the rules on vendors for the non-food 'Artisan's Village'? There is a list of Fees and applications have to be done 2 weeks in advance, etc. Not a jump in the truck and run out on a whim. Oh, and you'd fit right in with this group:

174.jpg

Otherwise, I have no first hand knowledge...

http://www.detroiteasternmarket.com/page.php?p=1&s=97

Last edited:
I couldn't see Paul in a straw hat but one of those pink flower petal hats...................ABSOLUTELY!!
Still love you Paul!!

Paul,

Eastern Market is primarily a wholesale food market. It's where all the Detroit area restaurants and markets get there meat and produce. I've never seen many craft or flea market vendors there. You might consider talking to some of the vendors about buying your items or selling on consignment. As far as I know they don't have any space available by the table , only by stall which would probably be too large for you. If you decide to go, get there early as it's pretty much a ghost town after about noon. Royal Oak, about 10 miles north of there has a weekend indoor market that might be more inline with your items. Also, there are 2 very large indoor weekly fleamarkets in the Detroit area, one south of Detroit and the other is out by Lou T's area. PM me if I can help.

Take care,

Chris

How about a guy from Alabama/Maryland chiming in? Seriously, I'm originally from Hazel Park and used to go to Eastern Market most every weekend. Paul's right. It's a food vendor's market with very little of anything else. I'd try the Royal Oak farmer's market (I think it might be the one Paul was referring to), think it's on 11 mile road, near Main St. Bet theres a website for both, in any case. Also, give Desilets a ring. I'll be he can dial you in better about places to market your wares. He's over on that side of the metro area.

Thanks fellas (even Chuck and Rich),

I was considering the artisan's villiage for November or December. We have hit the farmer's market a few times this summer and done well. Nearing the end of obligations from my days of floor work, Michele and I are putting all our energies into the wooden spoon biz now. I'm looking for places where I can get in front of several thousand people on a Saturday, and we are starting to explore markets outside of the more poulated areas. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. We are trying to avoid the flea market atmosphere, and For the right event don't have a problem driving a few hundred miles. Take Care and thanks again!

Paully

Paul:
I'll agree with the rabble, although I haven't spent any great time down at Eastern Market, I'm going to guess that it wouldn't be a good fit. Finding an outlet for your wares isn't as quick and easy as you might imagine. It sounds like you would be more comfortable in a "craftshow" atmosphere. But then all craftshows are not created equal, identify your market, price point and potential competition. Don't under sell your efforts and I'm going to let you in on a secret, you're no Leonard Da Vinci either! LOL Start early, plan your booth space, don't just throw some stuff on a table. Think presentation. Call me I'm tired of typin.....................

Back