well this sucks

Huntindave McCann

Sponsor
Nope, the ice this morning was not responsible. Nor did I hit anything with it. The PVC just got brittle and gave out, bummer. At least I will be able to reuse the LED tail lights. I will go ahead and rebuild both sides at the same time.

20231129_075851.jpg

I ended up taking some flat galvanized sheet metal and attached it to the back of the boat. I was then able to take some magnetic tow lights and just stick em on the back of the boat.

I was then able to take some magnetic tow lights and just stick em on the back of the boat.

I'm so glad I did the same a couple of years ago, although mine just go on the trailer. If they go bad, then another $30 and I'm back in business without crawling around, checking wires and connections, all the stuff that goes with trailer wiring. You just take them out of the box, stick them on the trailer, and drive away. Why didn't they do this 30 years ago?

Was a great idea while it was warm. PVC just doesn't hold up at glued joints with any vibration /stress in cold has been my experience.

PVC dries out in the sun and brittle in low temps. I bit the bullet and bought cabelas Hot Dipped galvanized guide on rollers. Have had them for over 30 years with no problems. No splices from plug to the trailer lites. Splice for lite is in the roller tube out of the water. Brother bought the cheap set and replaced it twice.

[quote George Goodsell]Hey Dave,
Did you use Knot weed on your duck blind or is that just some "professional overrun" from your baitcaster??[/quote]

What? You don't recognize repurposed shag carpet when you see it?

Yes, it looks a bit odd from 10 feet away. However, it is effective and more importantly, I don't lose any rafia when traveling down the road at 75 MPH. The first time I used rafia, I left long strands hanging in the typical fashion. It didn't take long for the rafia to become all wind knotted and beat up. When I switched to closed loops, the ducks didn't seem to mind.

I also get some folks telling me I need to break up the big blotches and blend the colors more. Let's just say I disagree.

Did you have a good season? I suspect the big river is still accessible or have you been frozen out yet? My annual order of 2 thousand maggots showed up Wednesday, so I am all set for the ice fishing season to commence.

[quote Huntindave McCann]

What? You don't recognize repurposed shag carpet when you see it?

Yes, it looks a bit odd from 10 feet away. However, it is effective and more importantly, I don't lose any rafia when traveling down the road at 75 MPH. The first time I used rafia, I left long strands hanging in the typical fashion. It didn't take long for the rafia to become all wind knotted and beat up. When I switched to closed loops, the ducks didn't seem to mind.

I also get some folks telling me I need to break up the big blotches and blend the colors more. Let's just say I disagree.

Did you have a good season? I suspect the big river is still accessible or have you been frozen out yet? My annual order of 2 thousand maggots showed up Wednesday, so I am all set for the ice fishing season to commence.[/quote]

This is my first year using raffia, I'm starting to see the wind knots and messy strands you describe. I bought a little Stihl battery powered hedge trimmer, which I use to supplement the raffia with local grass. While it looks good, it's a pita to do every time. I'm sure you're loop setup works just fine, I just can't get myself to sit in something that doesn't look right to me. Hell with the ducks, what do they know ?! [smile]

I was thinking it's time to order spikes. I usually pick up three thousand from Jada, mostly because I keep a bunch at our camp in Maine for the few times I get up there each ice season. The rest get fed to crappie in CT. Kinda like my raffia hangup, I only use the natural colored ones, I can't put a rainbow spike on a jig.

[quote SJ Fairbank]

This is my first year using raffia, I'm starting to see the wind knots and messy strands you describe. I bought a little Stihl battery powered hedge trimmer, which I use to supplement the raffia with local grass. While it looks good, it's a pita to do every time. I'm sure you're loop setup works just fine, I just can't get myself to sit in something that doesn't look right to me. Hell with the ducks, what do they know ?! [smile]

I was thinking it's time to order spikes. I usually pick up three thousand from Jada, mostly because I keep a bunch at our camp in Maine for the few times I get up there each ice season. The rest get fed to crappie in CT. Kinda like my raffia hangup, I only use the natural colored ones, I can't put a rainbow spike on a jig.[/quote]

I understand your hesitation, unfounded and misguided as it is. [wink] The loops now have about 500 road miles on them (from this season) and look almost exactly as they did on day one. I use Jada as my bait supplier also.

Last edited:
Back