What brand bandsaw blade?

Chris Toy

What brand of blade are you using on your bandsaw?
I just bought a new (used) bandsaw, I ordered a timberwolf blade because I heard good things, but they are a little pricey. Any other suggestions?

Look in your area for tool stores or saw stores. After using timberwolf blades for some time I found a local place to make them for about 1/2 the price.

Find a saw blade machine shop in your area. They'll cut & weld them to the length you need and be able to meet your TPI requirements as well. They'll also be a fraction of the cost. IMO no bandsaw blade for decoy making is worth $40 and up.

Brand and how much I pay for the blade depends on what I am doing/making.

Timberwolf are great blades, they cut well and seem to track straighter, however, they don't seem to be worth the extra price, if all you are cutting is decoy blanks. Now if I am resawing to make veneer or something, I always use one. When you get into the wider blades 3/4" or 1", you can really tell the difference.

But for cutting soft wood, such as decoy blanks, I have been using Olson, mainly because they are readily available. I will say up front, they are cheaper blades, 105" is around $14.00, but there is no way a premium blade lasts long enough to justify the price, for doing this.

My advice is to find out how you are going to use the saw first. I used to use the fancy blades, but I kept buggering then up either cutting black cork or I'd use it for general shop use and dull. I'm not going to be switching blades between jobs. I decided on 1/4"-3/8" olson blades as a good compromise. They do what I need and stay sharp until I wreck them.

T

My advice is to find out how you are going to use the saw first. I used to use the fancy blades, but I kept buggering then up either cutting black cork or I'd use it for general shop use and dull. I'm not going to be switching blades between jobs. I decided on 1/4"-3/8" olson blades as a good compromise. They do what I need and stay sharp until I wreck them.

T
It will be cutting cedar and basswood for decoys, no cork. I had several say people talk about Olson blades so I may give them a shot. There are also a couple local places I just found out about that make custom blades. Thanks everyone for the help.

http://www.tufftooth.com/

Industrial Silicone 1/4" 4 TPI Hook pattern .025 thickness. Only 12.50 from R & D. Guy on here years ago, Ian Feir suggested them to me and I love them. Cut very nice, and I find them a lot sharper than Olsen's blades and will stay sharp longer also. I have found that when the blade is dulling, you start pushing the cut more and that is when most injuries occur. I have them in 3/8, 1/2 and even one at 3/4 for some resawing, but I would never buy above a 1/2 for my saw again. For most general work I like the 3/8" but for decoys I like the radius ability of a 1/4" better.

good luck either way.

Industrial Silicone 1/4" 4 TPI Hook pattern .025 thickness. Only 12.50 from R & D. Guy on here years ago, Ian Feir suggested them to me and I love them. Cut very nice, and I find them a lot sharper than Olsen's blades and will stay sharp longer also. I have found that when the blade is dulling, you start pushing the cut more and that is when most injuries occur. I have them in 3/8, 1/2 and even one at 3/4 for some resawing, but I would never buy above a 1/2 for my saw again. For most general work I like the 3/8" but for decoys I like the radius ability of a 1/4" better.

good luck either way.

That is a good price for an intermediate level blade, were olson not right in town here I'd try those for sure.

Next time you talk to Ian, ask him how the DHBP cookbook is doing - we should see proofs anytime now, I expect.

T

good luck either way.
Thanks Eric, that is one of the blades on my list to try out, had a couple people recomend them, also gonna pick up an Olson. Just found out today that the company across the parking lot from where I work makes custom blades, gotta check on the price, but like the fact that I can walk over on my lunch break and pick one up if i need to. There is a saw shop not too far from me that makes them also. Thanks again everyone for the input.

To those following this thread who might be thinking of cutting BLACK cork, go buy a cheap blade to use exclusively for the BSC. Do NOT use your expensive blade or it will be toast before the first body is cut out. Only takes a few minutes to change.

Back