What do use for hearing protection?

Wis Boz,

I got the Westone ear plugs from the audiology department at a local hospital. But I didn't get a hearing evaluation. I figured I could spend the money to get some quality ear plugs or to get an evaluation, after which I would be told either that I did not have substantial hearing loss, but I should use ear protection to prevent loss, or that I did have hearing loss, and I should use ear protection to keep it from getting worse.

So I just skipped the evaluation part and got the ear plugs.

But I'm thinking about getting some of the electronic mufflers instead.

Rick

Chuck,

That's interesting. I thought all hearing loss was irreversible.

Rick

I was actually shocked when she told me I did not have loss. (not that I wanted a hearing aid) Another audiologist (same company) that helped me replace the insert explained it a little different than the first, but from my point of view I was thinking what was the difference. She also said that the test administered did not cover all ranges of audible noise, but was their standard FREE test that they administer to patients before fitting with hearing aids.

Chuck

For years I used the foam insert ear plugs or similar cheap plugs to try to protect my ears when I shot the shotgun. When hunting I would often just hold one of the plugs so I could hear my buddy beside me or the sound of approaching birds. It worked sometimes, but I would often get caught off guard and take a few shots without them in and I would pay with ringing for a day. I tried a few of the plugs with baffles that supposedly allowed normal hearing and would supress the sound of gunfire. I can tell you that my ears still rang so I knew they weren't doing that good of a job. 7 or so years ago I broke down and bought a pair of the PRO EARS from Cabelas at $200 bucks or so. They worked well in allowing me to hear conversation around me, but I couldn't always tell which direction the sound was coming from. One drawback was that they became uncomfortable after a few hours and I was constantly moving them off my ears to give them a break. The biggest problem of the muff style is their size. When hunting out of a layout blind and attempting to cover up, the muffs would get hung up on the blind and fall off my head. I wouldn't use them in rain either because I would worry about getting them wet.

Two years ago I made the decision that I wish I had made years ago: I bought a pair of the digital ESP earplugs. What a difference. I can now hear normal conversation, hear birds approaching and I can tell which direction they are approaching from. I can wear them all day without irritation, under my hat and out of the weather and my ears don't ring after hunting. I love them and would highly recommend.

I bought the cheapest pair of the digital and I wont lie, they are pricey, but add up everything else I have invested in hunt gear and it really isnt that bad. As far as cost, check the price on the web site. I went to my local audiologist and they made a mold, sent it to ESP and in a few weeks I had my custom ear plugs. There was no other cost other than the price shown on the web site.

Hope this helps.

In Reply To
Chuck,

That's interesting. I thought all hearing loss was irreversible.

Rick

When I was working in the mines, we had a MSHA rep come in to talk to us one day. he told us a good way to tell how much a days worth of loud machinery affects your hearing is to turn on your radio to a comfortable level, when you get in your car after work. Leave the radio at the same level and start the car up the next morning and see how loud it seems. The same would hold true after a day of shooting.

There is an old saying that the best ear protection is the type you actually wear. I have high frequency hearing loss from years of shooting and working around heavy equipment without hearing protection. Still can't bring myself to wear anything while hunting. I'm sure I will regret it one of these days.

Thanks Rick for posting the original question here! This is a real issue, for sure. This year I am using the $150 Walkers active muffs and so far they work great. I can hear in the blind and hear the ducks. Unfortunately I lost all hearing in one ear so I no longer have any direction perception at any time, but my son's electronic muffs give him great directional sense. Just have to keep from dropping them in the drink like the last pair...

http://www.earplugstore.com/blshearpl.html

check out these, Blast Busters with Hock noise breakers. Cheap, comfortable and work. you can truly hear conversation and still have protection. Buddy did the pro ear plug deal, audiologist made....deaf as a doornail and the guy is screaming all the time.

I need my ears for my living so this is VERY important to me.

Well this thread was awesome. I've been interested in this topic for quite some time. Eric I checked out your link and ordered two pairs of their ear plugs.

Great stuff!

Back