What do you feed your dogs?

Commercial dog foods are all JUNK!! Anybody ever read whats in that stuff? Corn, wheat, etc. these are all just fillers and not exactly what a carnivore was meant to eat. Oh, and by the way, if you didn't know it let me just say your puppy is a "Carnivore". We have fed Iams mostly over the years to our Labs, and like every one else, thought we were feeding the Best Food possible, until we educated ourselves about commercial dog foods. Do your self and your puppy a favor and READ THE INGREDIENT LABEL printed on the bag.

About a year ago a client of mine introduced me to an all organic dog food called Timberwolf Organics. Since then my wife has swicthed our dog over to it. Lucy gets 1 1/2 cups per feeding and two squirts of fresh Salmon Oil with every meal (2 times a day). Lucy has never looked better, and chows the stuff down like Fresh Road Kill. It is a small kibble and comes in different meat choices, Elk, Bison, Venison, Chicken, Fish etc.

I can tell you it's not cheap. You order the stuff on line, they offer free shipping and for a 33 pound bag it runs $60. You owe to yourself and your new puppy to check them out, if you really want to feed him the way nature designed him. Website: www.timberwolforganics.com

Last edited:
Like Mike,we have been feeding our Britts ,Timberwolf,elk and bison for a few years.Luckily we co-op with a friend that rescues Whimers and she constantly researches the dog food products available.They may change ingrediants ,resulting in a lesser product,and she has caoght this and changed brands on a couple occasions.Timberwolf is the last of a short list,we have used.She buys from a distributor at 25, 30lb bags.I believe our cost is around $46.The Britts get one cup ea,twice a day with some added meat, etc in the afternoon meal.

Since I have not seen anyone post Orijen. I thought I would. I have been feeding Cade Orijen for the past 18 months. He loves this food, his coat is beautiful and he sometimes sneaks into the bag for extra helpings :)
I have given him Solid Gold before but I switched to Orijen because I liked what the ingredients they used.

Piotr

Commercial dog foods are all JUNK!! Anybody ever read whats in that stuff? Corn, wheat, etc. these are all just fillers and not exactly what a carnivore was meant to eat. Oh, and by the way, if you didn't know it let me just say your puppy is a "Carnivore". We have fed Iams mostly over the years to our Labs, and like every one else, thought we were feeding the Best Food possible, until we educated ourselves about commercial dog foods. Do your self and your puppy a favor and READ THE INGREDIENT LABEL printed on the bag.

About a year ago a client of mine introduced me to an all organic dog food called Timberwolf Organics. Since then my wife has swicthed our dog over to it. Lucy gets 1 1/2 cups per feeding and two squirts of fresh Salmon Oil with every meal (2 times a day). Lucy has never looked better, and chows the stuff down like Fresh Road Kill. It is a small kibble and comes in different meat choices, Elk, Bison, Venison, Chicken, Fish etc.

I can tell you it's not cheap. You order the stuff on line, they offer free shipping and for a 33 pound bag it runs $60. You owe to yourself and your new puppy to check them out, if you really want to feed him the way nature designed him. Website: www.timberwolforganics.com

Dogs may be closely RELATED to carnivores, that doesn't mean that they are carnivores. We are closely related to monkeys, does that mean that our ideal food is bananas?

T

Obviously you do not understand what carnivore means, let me enlighten you from The Webster's Dictionary....

Car-ni-vore = 1. An animal that eats flesh. 2. A flesh eating mammal of the order Carnivora, comprising the dogs, cats, bears, seals and weasels, etc. 3. An insectivorous plant.

Now, I know these are alot of big words for you, so let me put it to you this way.....

What would a wild dog eat (and there are wild dogs, i.e., Africa, Austrialia, America and how about Wolf and Coyote and Fox?) Do they seek out Corn?? By-products?? Wheat flour?? Man Made fillers? Meal??? Happy meals?? Bananas???? I think not, I think he would eat anything with two or four legs, fur, feathers or scales. He would eat as nature intended and designed his digestive system.

What's so hard to understand that cheap commercial man made kibble creates a host of health issues for our best friends. We can't seem to understand that we cannot redesign the way nature designed our pets digestive systems in order to meet our need for convience of costs and time. Thus, this is why there are huge issues today in America with obesity in humans and in our pets and their healthcare.

You and your pets are a product of your enviornment and what you eat.

Defensive are we? :) Actually my 12 year old choc female is an omnivore as she digs carrots, grapes and absolutely drools a fat puddle for a tomato...so much in fact the tomato plants have to have guards around them...lol

I'm sure timberwolf makes a great product but there are many a dog that have passed and living that have led healthy productive lives before this product was introduced, my CLF being one of them. I've got BLF that is in prime shape (minus the little bit of epoxy and 5200 in her coat from laying around the shop) that is fed the purina high pro. I took a number of feed production classes while working on my MS in aquaculture (of course those were fish and definitely omnivorous) and I agree with a lot of what you're saying but to say all commercial dog foods are junk considering the science that goes into many of them is pretty extreme. If we're going to go the carnivore route, hope you're killing fresh meat for your pack everyday.

Good day.

Brad<--a non obese healthy white male with a 12 yo CLF and 5 yo BLF :)

ps - Mike...sorry for the hijack!

Last edited:
That'll probally be a good idea Andy. Brad ..... no problem. Don't mind Idaho Mike ... he's probally just worn out from all that killing fresh meat for the "pack'. LOL Idaho MIke ... just yanking your leash a little bit. I appriciate the input. There were alot of variety as to what you fellas feed your pooches. Before I posted this thresd we went over to the local Tractor Supply and browsed a little. They had the Diamond brand in alot of variations. We'll probally start off with that and see how she does. I liked the post from Tom Modin about feeding the High-Energy for the season and winter months then switching to the Maintenance for the off season. That made alot of sense to me. I got a laugh about the training your dog to crap in a certain part of the yard for avoidance. Been there..... done that! Dog crap on tan berber don't mix!
Best, Mike

Brad
Eukanuba found that their assosiation with HSUS was a big mistake. They are now a major sponsor of the Super Retriever Series. My dogs (tollers)have had stool problems with the Pro-Plan but I have a lot of friends (with labs)who feed it and are happy with it.

Obviously you do not understand what carnivore means, let me enlighten you from The Webster's Dictionary....

Car-ni-vore = 1. An animal that eats flesh. 2. A flesh eating mammal of the order Carnivora, comprising the dogs, cats, bears, seals and weasels, etc. 3. An insectivorous plant.
Not trying to kick the dead horse you just killed to feed your dog but bears are omnivores.

I lied in my earlier post. My dogs get nothing but chicken guts, gun powder, and octane boost. they run like hell, and on a hot summer day their poop is spotanusly combustiabal... no clean up at all! travis (who thinks niche dog food is pretty funny, and if it was half as good as the buyers think big companies like purina or euk wudda already bought the company up and be selling it under their name!)

Last edited:

Now, I know these are alot of big words for you, so let me put it to you this way.....

What would a wild dog eat (and there are wild dogs, i.e., Africa, Austrialia, America and how about Wolf and Coyote and Fox?) Do they seek out Corn?? By-products?? Wheat flour?? Man Made fillers? Meal??? Happy meals?? Bananas???? I think not, I think he would eat anything with two or four legs, fur, feathers or scales. He would eat as nature intended and designed his digestive system.

What's so hard to understand that cheap commercial man made kibble creates a host of health issues for our best friends. We can't seem to understand that we cannot redesign the way nature designed our pets digestive systems in order to meet our need for convience of costs and time. Thus, this is why there are huge issues today in America with obesity in humans and in our pets and their healthcare.

You and your pets are a product of your enviornment and what you eat.

I am humbled by your clarity of thought and use of the dictionary.

T

Ugh! You guys had to go and mention dog allergies. Barkley went from Pro Plan large breed puppy to regular Pro Plan Large Breed last summer, then developed some itching issues. We went to Royal Canin Labrador for 2 or 3 40# bags, then Eukanuba Sensitive Skin, accompanied by some prednizone treatment, then the pred with anti-biotics. Three weeks after he finished the pred the scratching came back as bad as ever. He's now almost a week into antihistamines (hydroxine) twice a day and is now eating Avoderm Lamb and Brown Rice. He's also getting an Omega-3 capsule with his supper, and I've got a supplement called Prozyme on order. Hopefully we find the right combination soon.

Jim

Back